mm6's in an explorer

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited January 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey all, thx in advance for your responses to this. lemme preface this by saying that i know very little about car audio, but i am good at figuringit out. i recently installed a 6.5 momo mm6 system in my explorer, along with 2 volfenhag com subs(i know, they're not good, but i had to spend good money on one thing and i prefer great sq level rather than thumping bass) but each of the subs RMS at 600 watts and peak at 1200, and i need to purchase an amplifier that can run the subs and a seperate one for the mm6's, however i run into a problem, do any of you know what amps will/can replace the ford stock amp? and what would be a good one for the rear subs? please any suggestions will help me alot
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2002
    im not sure what stock ford amp youre talking about...i dont think they have one except for the head unit but im not sure
    not a ford guy
    but for the component system
    the amp im using for the same components is rockford fosgate power 500.2 for $350 at www.onlinecarstereo.com
    if i remember right its 125x2 at 4 ohms
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited December 2002
    the ampislocated just in front of the rear winshield washer fluid tank. i'm trying to get specs and dimensions on it, but am having no luck. i appreciate any help any ofyou can give me. thx forthe suggestion
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2002
    I doubt the factory head unit has pre-amp inputs that would be adviseable to use with an aftermarket amp --

i suggest you get get an aftermarket head with dual or triple 4 volt preouts (alpine / kenwood / pioneer).

you can get a good 100 - 150 x 2 amp for the mm6's... brands to look at would include alpine / old mtx (blue thunder and thunder 1998 - 2002) / JBL / alphasonic / autotek / zapco / cadence.

for the subs --- i wouldn't try to put a true 600 on each of them, i dont think they'll take it -- do like 400 or so on each... if they're single 4 ohm coil subs or dual 2 ohm coil, then you can get a good class D mono amp that is about 800 - 1000 x 1 at 2 ohms (mtx 8100d / 1000d, rockford bd1000.1, jbl bp1200.1, autotek 1500.1, cadence, alpine 1507 [would run hot].)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2002
    I have done Explorers using the OEM premium headunit. You have to get the wiring colors at the amp from a Ford dealer or you could probably find it online somewhere. You can solder RCA heads onto the preamp wires going into the amp. If you don't feel like running new wires, you can also use the OEM wiring to the speakers in the door. DO NOT use the OEM power wire for the amp, though. Run at least 8 gauge for one amp or 4 gauge for two or three amps. The amp is located behind the right rear interior panel. Be careful not to break clips and make sure you have the right torx bit for the seatbelt.
  • Systems
    edited January 2003
    a thanks to you all. i finally got the install completed, and there is still an issue that i need to work out, but first let me give you the run down of what i have in there right now. keep in mind this is my first system, so it probably sux hardcore comparitavely to what you have. first is the head unit, sony xplod52x4, single rear preamp out. next is the wiring, 8ga, distro. into 2 amps, a REALLY oldschool jensen 400, and a jvc 260 total. i am running my momo mm6's off of the jensen because of the power needed, and i have 2 volfenhag 12" subs in the back running off of the JVC. Each of these RMS at 600, peak at 12 and have dual 4 ohm voice coils. i was wondering if any of you thought that it would be better for me to go with 2 mtx thunder 6100d amps instead of just getting the one and bridging my 2 remaining amps together to power the momo component system (6.5 " in the front which is running off the rear channel, interesting story...) or just get the 2 amps. also i am getting 2 apline type e 10 " subs for under my rear seats. would it be a wise decision to just rip out all the amps and completely replace them with new ones or are any worth keeping?

also does anyone have any opinions on the clarion DXZ 925 head unit? or is there something similar to it without one of those flip out screen things that will make me hit a tele pole? thx again
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited January 2003
    i'm not keen on sony, but one of the few things i dislike more than sony is clarion -- at least sony doesn't break down on a daily basis, so i'd keep what you got.

2nd -- good choice with the type E alpine subs -- they'll sound a WHOLE like better than wolf's, and you'll really notice the greater amount of clarity, punch, and "goodness" of your bass and overall sound. i'm assuming you're replacing the wolf with the type E because if you're not, and you're going to "mix" subs like that you're going to find yourself in a world of crap... mixing subs is a no no unless you've really dont a heck of a lot of research, and even then its not a great idea.

as far as two 6500d's from mtx (they dont make a 6100d, so i assume 6500)... i take it you're aware what that amp pushes -- it comes out of the box with 600 - 650 RMS at 12.5 volts -- you can expect about 700 with the car running (13.8 volts).

ONE of those 6500d's would MORE THAN PUSH two type E subwoofers. I ran two Type R's off one 6500d and it slammed pretty good... I ended up bumping up to an 81000d, but I had since blown the subs I think anyway, so it didn't matter any. Type E is only 200 rms. so if you want an amp that will give you all the powr you need and more -- get the 6500d, that way if you want to get bigger subs in a year, you can get anything up to 350 rms and you'll have enough power. But if you get two, you'rejust wasting your money, unless they're dirt dirt dirt cheap and you're gonna save it for future use. besides that, if you run two 6500d's you'll need to run a line of 2 gauge power wire JUST for the load those two amps draw from the battery. if you want to hook up your other amps still as well, you'll need 0/1 gauge.

if for sme reason you're going to get two 6500d's anyway, get a an 81000d, its the same power as two 6500d's but its like 30% cheaper than two 6500d's.

as far as your old amps,... only them as power for your fronts if one of them is either 1)strong enough to be 65 x 2 or 2)is a 4 channel that can be bridged to 65 x 2 to better. the same applies to the rears... if the 2nd amp meets the same criteria above then hey, you're all set. use the stronger / cleaner amp on the fronts, the weaker on the rears. you want about a small difference in power between front and rear (more front).
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited January 2003
    yeah i meant the 81000d, sorry about that. i was thinking about leaving the Volf's in place cause they sound really nice in the car now. but i just blew out my rear speakers while testing my system. they were the stock 4x6's so i guess there's no big loss there. you all have any ideas on good 4x6's??
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2003
    ive heard good things about plate speakers but ive never used them myself
    i heard a pair of alpines and they sounded great but they were like $150...
    i think it was their s series
    im pretty sure the speaker was blue you should be able to find it on crutchfield if youre interested they might have them for cheaper...i dunno
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    honestly dude, if you can, take a jig saw and cut that 4x6 hole out to a round 6.5" hole so you can fit a round 6 in there. they'll hold (usually) a bit more power and sound better... however, if you wanna do the 4x6...

suggestions... these are ranked in order of "best" good choice to "least best" good choice.

1- polk DX series 4x6 plate... try ebay, they discontinued, but i firmly believe the db/dx to be the best coaxials i've ever owned.

2- kenwood excelon original purple cone series.

3- alpine type R (red).

4- alpine type S (blue)

5- kenwood excelon new silver mesh lookin cone.

6- infinity kappa (green)

7- pioneer tsa (old gold ones or new blue ones... not the yellows)

8- polk EX series II
  • Systems
    edited January 2003
    wow ... does that system sound better than when it was on the jensen ... i got 2 81000d MTX amps cause my friend was selling them for like 150 .... but now i have the problem that i need more RCA preamp outputs on the headunit. i've basically spent all but a hundred dollars on my other components and i think that i am screwed. can you recommend a headunit with dual, or possibly 3 preamp outputs on it for close to a hundred?

btw poweredbydodge, i cut the holes out and fit another momo 6.5 system into it and that shiznit is bangin loud, and plus the type e's under the seats makes for a great ride.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    pioneer DEH 5200 had dual 4 v outs... u can find it used ebay for like 75 bucks. keep in mind, one of the outs is a sub out only.. so u wont get full range out of it.

personally, i swear by alpines -- you can get a 7863, same model i am using in 2 vehicles, off ebay new for 170 or used for 100 -- it was discontinued about 3 years ago.. it has dual 4 volt full range outputs (or you can switch the rear output to a mono sub out, but its better in full range mode, let your xover on teh 81000d do the crossing over). I run 5 amplifiers off it - 2 8100d's, and three JBL's for highs - and it runs like a tank.

u might also look at some used kenwood 5000 series models ... they can get down to 100 bucks used and they are triple 4 volt out. same for used excelons.

good choice on the rears... congrats :o)

be careful with two 81000d's... thats what i'm running... i had to put in a 2nd battery and run dual 0 gauge lines to the distro.

each 81000d REQUIRES 2 gauge... so if you run them light (1/3 gain or something), a single 0 gauge total should do.. if you run them hard... you'll need either 2 runs of 2 or one of 2 and one of 0 so as to accomidate your other amps as well. just watch in case your amps get hot -- if they're getting hot, u're in trouble.

150 each? where can i make freinds like that! lol :)