Panamax M5300EX
Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
Post edited by hockeyboy on

Comments

• gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    edited June 2008
    Kiss Alive 1 I wore that one out. :) Kiss Alive 2. Two great live albums IMO.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,289
    edited June 2008
    I had the pleasure of telling them that they SUCK, up close and personal.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the buzz kill F1. Apparently others disagree (including me). More than 100 million albums sold world wide makes Kiss one of the top 3 successful rock bands of all time.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2008
    F1nut wrote: »

My hero.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2008
    Come on, with all of their innovations and only caring about the music, how could you say such a thing?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited June 2008

LOL...
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,155
    edited June 2008
    gfong wrote: »
    Kiss Alive 1 I wore that one out. :) Kiss Alive 2. Two great live albums IMO.

Alive II might as well have been a studio album with all the patching and over dubbing, etc. I have the actual pre-messed-with bootleg recording that was Alive II. It certainly has some warts on it compared to the over produced official release.

Kiss has always been more about the theatrics than the music. The music is very mediocre and Peter Criss is about the worst drummer ever. I grew up with Kiss and then I grew out of Kiss. They have sold a lot of records and merchandise and have been extremely entertaining and I give them props for keeping it together (and in the later years milking it).

But for me, the music doesn't stand the test of time. Since that's the case I have very little interest in them and they haven't been relevant for years.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited June 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »

Kiss has always been more about the theatrics than the music. The music is very mediocre...

Like Hannah Montana?
  • heiney9
    edited June 2008
    HiPerf360 wrote: »
    Like Hannah Montana?

Yes, and Britney Spears. I bet many young teens today will look back on Hanah Montana and wonder what they were thinking.

Early Kiss was really good stuff. They were hungry, they had a raw sound and the make-up which was only done by a few other artists like David Bowie and Alice Cooper early Genesis, etc. Kiss has a place in musical history but the idea wore out and after awhile they became a self-parody.

I still consider the first 2 Kiss albums pretty good for their time. They do sound dated today but thinking about where they were coming from and going at the time makes them seem relevant in history and ground breaking for the time.

The biggest part of an artist for me is how much of an influence their music has on future generations. I'm quite sure the theatrics ultimately had more influence than the music.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited June 2008
    Very well thought out heiney. You make excellent points. I am not so sure that the idea so much wore out, as that so many other bands copied it. If imitation is the highest form of flattery, then KISS is probably the most flattered band ever. For me, KISS was the first band that made me ever want to just sit and listen to music. That ultimately led to my first pair of SPL's, and I eventually graduated to an audio enthusiast posting on this forum.

Wait a minute...maybe I should be mad at these guys that I spend all my money on speakers!
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2008
    Never heard of 'em.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • heiney9
    edited June 2008
    hockeyboy wrote: »
    Very well thought out heiney. You make excellent points. I am not so sure that the idea so much wore out, as that so many other bands copied it. If imitation is the highest form of flattery, then KISS is probably the most flattered band ever. For me, KISS was the first band that made me ever want to just sit and listen to music. That ultimately led to my first pair of SPL's, and I eventually graduated to an audio enthusiast posting on this forum.

Wait a minute...maybe I should be mad at these guys that I spend all my money on speakers!

Not to be disrespectful, but who copied what? I guess bands like Motley Crue, Twisted Sister and others come to mind. Kiss didn't really invent anything new they just took several elements, combined them and moved them up a notch.

Look no band can go on forever and be excellent and relevant and break new musical ground. Kiss has their place in music history; it's just for me their time has long past. I still get all nostalgic when I hear certain songs because I grew up on Kiss, had every magazine and merchandising product, dressed up for Halloween. I can honestly say if I hadn't grown up with them; their music wouldn't even be a blip on my radar. They're relevant to me because they were a part of my youth for a period of time.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited June 2008
    hockeyboy wrote: »
    If imitation is the highest form of flattery, then KISS is probably the most flattered band ever.

No, that would be Led Zeppelin ;)