Help!! Need amp advice for SDA-2

Options
PaPa Honey
PaPa Honey Posts: 3
edited June 2008 in Vintage Speakers
I need help with my Polk SDA-2 speakers that I purchased in 1985. I have been using an Onkyo TX-85 to drive these 2 speakers and they have worked great for 23 years.

I decided to upgrade to a 7.1 system and purchased an Onkyo TX-SR605 and ordered a Polk RM6880 5.1 speaker system. The speakers haven't arrived yet, but I connected the TX-SR605 to the SDA-2 speakers to see how it sounded.

The speakers sounded great but after a period of time evidently the amp protection circuit activated. The Polk SDA-2 speakers are rated at 4ohms. After a cool down period of time, the amp started working again.

Is there anyone out there that has 2 SDA-2 speakers used in a 7.1 system? If so, what kind of receiver or amp are you using?

Can anyone advise me what I should buy to make this system work? I would hate to not use the SDAs as they are built into cabinets on each side of my fireplace.

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited June 2008
    Options
    You receiver can't handle 4 ohm loads, that is why it will shut down. You need a external amp/receiver that will run the SDA-2's. Make sure the amp\receiver can do 2 to 4 ohm loads. Alot of them can't.

The problem is you Onkyo TX-SR605 does not have pre amp outs, soooooooo you can't use an external amp with it.

Good luck and yes I use SDA SRS 3.1's in my HT,
    engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.