RT3000 Help please

Options
Fishiest1
Fishiest1 Posts: 17
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I was able to score the bottom halves of these speakers as an open box purchase from CC yesterday. My problem is there any way for me to obtain the top halves or is my best bet to try to find a sent of RT55s?

Also I have a pair of RT600s that need new grills does anyone know where I can obtain these?

Thank you in advance
Hitachi 51swx20b HDTV
Toshiba sd-4800 DVD
Sony STR-DA3ES receiver
Klipsch KLF 10s mains
RT3000s and Klipsch ksw15 for subs
RT800i surrounds
Klipsch RC3 center
Playstation 2!:)

Zone 2
Inifinity Overture1s
PSW 450 sub
Post edited by Fishiest1 on

Comments

• Fishiest1
    edited December 2002
    Options
    ATCVenom ,

Thanks for the reply, sir.

I was able to score a pair or RT800is for about 1/3 the original price today. These are also very simular to the RT55s or the top portion of the 3000s. I think I might be able to bridge them to the rt3000s sub. The back of they RT3000s are simular to that of most subs. I think Originally they must have bridged the top part just through some speaker wire which is what I plan on doing as well.
    Hitachi 51swx20b HDTV
    Toshiba sd-4800 DVD
    Sony STR-DA3ES receiver
    Klipsch KLF 10s mains
    RT800i surrounds
    Klipsch RC3 center

Zone 2
    Inifinity Overture1s
    PSW 450 sub
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by Fishiest1
    ATCVenom ,

Thanks for the reply, sir

Sir? ATC? Nothin personal ATC, but this is NOT going to be something that I'm gonna be able to do for ya......sorry......ain't gonna happen.......:)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Options
    The RT800i is essentially the top half of the RT3000p system. There is no need to "bridge" the two. Run the RT800i on "small", and stack the RT3000p subwoofers together in a corner, plug them into an outlet, and run an LFE cable with a Y splitter to the LFE input (i.e., unfiltered) input on the subs. Calibrate the system and you'll be in business.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Fishiest1
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Dr. Spec,

Pardon my ignorance but I'm not certain I understand your post. I dont know what "run on small" means, sorry. I'm also unclear about the stacking you recommend. Are you saying Stack the the 2 3000s on eachother or stack the 800s on the 3000s?

thanks in advance for your help.
    Hitachi 51swx20b HDTV
    Toshiba sd-4800 DVD
    Sony STR-DA3ES receiver
    Klipsch KLF 10s mains
    RT800i surrounds
    Klipsch RC3 center

Zone 2
    Inifinity Overture1s
    PSW 450 sub
  • brettw22
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Fish........

Depending on the type of receiver that you have, you can go into the menu settings and set each speaker to run on Large or Small. The small setting basically directs all lower frequency sounds to the subs, where the large setting will have your speaker running full range, all bass included.

He is saying to take the 3000 subs that you have and just stack them together, or side by side(doesn't really matter). Just depends on what kind of space limitations you have. You'll need to get a y cable so that you can connect both subs to the one sub pre out on the back of your receiver.

Hope that helps
  • Fishiest1
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I also currently have a ksw15 should I still keep it in the mix?

My reciever does have that option, thanks for the explanation. So this would work out better than just setting them up like a regular pair of 3000s?

another question from the audiophyte.

what does bi wired mean?

Brett,

Thank you, sir!
    :)
    Hitachi 51swx20b HDTV
    Toshiba sd-4800 DVD
    Sony STR-DA3ES receiver
    Klipsch KLF 10s mains
    RT800i surrounds
    Klipsch RC3 center

Zone 2
    Inifinity Overture1s
    PSW 450 sub
  • brettw22
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I'm assuming that your ksw15 is a sub? By whom? With the punch that those 3000's put out, you'll be more than ok. Set up properly, they will give you an almost frightening punch when the bass hits just right.

You can't really set them up like a "regular" pair of 3000's because you don't have the matching tops. The only difference between setting them up as if they were a complete speaker and what you have is that you're using the bottoms as strictly subs, which isn't a bad way to go. With them as a complete speaker, you have the option of running either the LFE setup or speaker wire connection. The only thing about hooking up the bottoms with the speaker wire is (correct me if I'm wrong guys) that you can't limit the frequency that goes to the sub as compared to running it with the sub pre-out connection route.

Bi-wiring a pair of speakers can be done by 2 methods. With a specially designed cable that ultimately splits from ONE pair of ends to TWO pair at the speaker end. You're splitting the signal from a single set of binding posts on the back of the receiver and at the speaker, you're conecting each of the 4 posts with the cables. If you don't use a premade wire like what Monster makes, you can do the same thing with 2 equal runs of basic speaker cable, twisted together at the end that's gonna connect to the receiver, and then hook each of the binding posts to the speaker. Make sure that you don't cross your positive and negative cables. Also, if you do decide to go the bi-wiring route, make SURE that you remove the jumper plate on the back of your speakers between the 2 sets of binding posts or you're gonna get the signals all whacked and you're speakers won't work right. The benefit of bi-wiring is that your drivers are being driven seperately, even though the signal is the same.

I'm not sure that there's such a magnificent benefit to bi-wiring, but then again, I haven't decided to put any effort at running a second set of wire to each of my speakers..........
  • Dr. Spec
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Put the Klipsch KSW-15 on kitchen patrol. It can't hold a candle to the RT3000p subs in terms of output and extension.

Of course, if you want, you can split the LFE signal AGAIN, and run the KSW-15, AND the RT3000p together. That would probably be overkill......or not. We'll soon see...let's stick with just the 3000p for now.

Stack or otherwise co-locate those subs in one corner and run them off the LFE channel with a Y splitter. Keep the RT800i and your other HT speaks set to small. Make sure to connect to the LFE (unfiltered) input at each sub.

This is a cool project. He will have 600 watts and four 8" drivers in one corner for subs. YEEEEEE EFFEN HAAAA!!!!!!!

Make sure to buy a Rat Shack SPL meter for $35 and get back to us after you do. We've got some calibrating to do!

Doc

SVS
  • brettw22
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I'm curious how good of a deal you actually got on those things...........
  • Fishiest1
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Dr. Spec,

Thanks for the pointers. I'll let you know how things progress.

Brett,

at CC I scored the pair of rt3000s, a pair of rt800s and a psw450 sub for 700 bones. Not too bad Id say.

At home I already had a pair of Klipsch KLF10s, a Klipsch KSW 15, a klipsch rc3 center and a Pair of Infinity overture 1s. Now I have plenty for a 2nd zone I just need to figure what should go where.

This has with out a doubt been the most helpful forum, thanks again!
    Hitachi 51swx20b HDTV
    Toshiba sd-4800 DVD
    Sony STR-DA3ES receiver
    Klipsch KLF 10s mains
    RT800i surrounds
    Klipsch RC3 center

Zone 2
    Inifinity Overture1s
    PSW 450 sub
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    Options
    That's a smokin' deal man. I'm ill. ;)
  • brettw22
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I DEFINITELY have to congratulate you on that deal. I thought that I was doin well when I got the complete 3000p speaker set. I decided though, even for $1300, that they had to go back. I then saw them the next weekend down to $853, but I had to hold back. I just didn't like how finicky they were with balancing the MONSTROUS bass with the speaker top......

Again, welcome to the forum Fishiest1........enjoy.....
  • Fishiest1
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Brett, Doc etc,

I hope I don't sound too obtuse with this question. My reciever has 2 sub output capability, would it be ok for me to run the two subs straight from receiver or should I wire them together as explained above?
    Hitachi 51swx20b HDTV
    Toshiba sd-4800 DVD
    Sony STR-DA3ES receiver
    Klipsch KLF 10s mains
    RT800i surrounds
    Klipsch RC3 center

Zone 2
    Inifinity Overture1s
    PSW 450 sub
  • Dr. Spec
    edited December 2002
    Options
    If the LFE outputs are identical in function, I don't see any reason why not. You'll still need two cables, regardless.

Doc

SVS
  • Fishiest1
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Dr Spec,

Thanks again.

BTW. I also have a Hitachi HDTV and a Toshiba DVD.
    Hitachi 51swx20b HDTV
    Toshiba sd-4800 DVD
    Sony STR-DA3ES receiver
    Klipsch KLF 10s mains
    RT800i surrounds
    Klipsch RC3 center

Zone 2
    Inifinity Overture1s
    PSW 450 sub
  • Fishiest1
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Guys,

I dont know if Im doing this right cause I just started messing with it but... I got a meter today and while playing lowrider by war and the Shaft theme I was 110-113 with a lil space to go.

in the room I was playing
    rt3000
    Klipsch ksw15 sub
    klipsch KLF10s

I stood like 8 feet away from the mains while doing this and the surrounds rt800s were not on. So does this seem acceptable?

Thanks in advance

btw I have my other psw450 in the living room with some overture1s.
    Hitachi 51swx20b HDTV
    Toshiba sd-4800 DVD
    Sony STR-DA3ES receiver
    Klipsch KLF 10s mains
    RT800i surrounds
    Klipsch RC3 center

Zone 2
    Inifinity Overture1s
    PSW 450 sub
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Told ya - 113 big ones at 8 feet - YEAH!!! I'd say that's damn good bass!

SVS
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Now I know I am jealous,......rock on fishi. :D
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"