Wiring MOMO's...How close does the crossover have to be to the components?

1hawaii50
1hawaii50 Posts: 26
edited June 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm working on getting my components installed in my 07 Altima. I have the woofer in the door in the stock location, and the tweeter is flush mounted high in the panel, just forward of the interior door handle. My question is, can I mount the crossovers inside the car and run longer wires to the speakers, or should I mount them inside the door skin? Also, I have Streetwires 14 gauge speaker wire. Can I splice this to the supplied speaker wire that came with the MOMO's without any adverse effects (since they are different gauge wires)? My speakers are the MMC6500's.
Thanks for your help.
Post edited by 1hawaii50 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2008
    You dont have to put the crossovers close to the speakers. Its actually best to put them inside the car to protect them from the elements.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1hawaii50
    edited June 2008
    Thanks MacLeod,
    What are your thoughts on splicing 14 gauge wire to the smaller gauge wire that came with the speakers?
  • allknowing001
    allknowing001 Posts: 8
    edited June 2008
    how close do the crossovers have to be to the speakers? i guess that depends on how much wire you have!

seriously tho, if you have the wire/cash, put the crossovers inside the car like MacLeod suggests. while the speakers themselves are marine certified, the crossovers are not!
  • 1hawaii50
    edited June 2008
    I've got 50' of wire, should be more than enough. I need to know if I can splice the 14g wire that I bought to the factory wiring that came with the speakers. The wiring that came with the speakers is smaller, maybe 18g? I was going to run 14g to the crossovers, and then the factory wiring to the speakers, but I'm not sure if the factory wiring is long enough, so I may have to lengthen it with some of my 14g. Will this be allright, or will it cause me problems?
    Thanks for the help guys.
  • thumpin07
    thumpin07 Posts: 217
    edited June 2008
    put the crossovers inside the car, there is also adjustments that can be made with the cross over wouldnt it suck to take the door apart everytime a adjusment needed to be made
    tyler birch

ht system
    denon avr-1907
    monitor 70 towers-polkaudio
    nakamichi bx -100 tape deck
    sony 5 disc cd/dvd player hdmi ready
    velodyne dps-12 subwoofer

Car audio

AMP: FUSION EN-AM8001 800 watts max 368 watts rms x 1 channel @ 2 ohms stable
    SUB: 12 INCH 1000W DVC VOLFENHAG 2 Ohm stable useable ohms 2-8ohms
  • 1hawaii50
    edited June 2008
    1hawaii50 wrote: »
    I've got 50' of wire, should be more than enough. I need to know if I can splice the 14g wire that I bought to the factory wiring that came with the speakers. The wiring that came with the speakers is smaller, maybe 18g? I was going to run 14g to the crossovers, and then the factory wiring to the speakers, but I'm not sure if the factory wiring is long enough, so I may have to lengthen it with some of my 14g. Will this be allright, or will it cause me problems?
    Thanks for the help guys.

OK guys, I'm going to put the crossovers in the doors, now how bout the wiring? I wanted to use the included wire on the "speaker" end, as they have the nice connectors on them. I would then splice the 14g to the other end, at the crossover.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, the OEM wires are way too small and flimsy. You should get rid of it altogether. Yeah itll take more work but itll be worth it. The supplied wire with the Momos is 16 gauge and will work fine.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • candaddy
    candaddy Posts: 54
    edited June 2008
    You can splice your SW wire to the Polk supplied wire, it will work great. Don't use the wire that came with the car (don't think that's what you were going to try to do, but somebody suggested it may have been).
  • 1hawaii50
    edited June 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Nobody's answering you because they are disgusted by your question. Everyone here usually throws away the supplied cable and puts in some heavy duty cable.

I figured the wire supplied with the MOMO's would be decent enough just to run from the crossovers to the speakers. I can never find connectors in 14g to connect 14g wire to the speakers, so I wanted to use the MOMO wires just for the speaker connectors.
  • 1hawaii50
    edited June 2008
    candaddy wrote: »
    You can splice your SW wire to the Polk supplied wire, it will work great. Don't use the wire that came with the car (don't think that's what you were going to try to do, but somebody suggested it may have been).

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I will run a LOC from the stock H/U and RCA's to the amp. Then I will run the SW 14g to the front and rear crossovers, and the MOMO wires from the crossovers to the speakers. I was able to position the front crossovers close enough to the doors that I will not need to splice into the MOMO wires, they will reach from the speakers to the crossovers. Thanks for all of the info. On a side note, I had a tweeter that would not pop into the flush mounted cup (the other one went in fine?) and I ended up crushing the grill, and mashing the tweeter. Gotta love Crutchfield, I called and told them that I crushed the tweeter, and they are sending me out a brand new set of MMC6500's to use what I need, and they are paying shipping to send back the damaged components...this is why I spend a little extra to buy from Crutchfield ;). (Sorry for the shameless plug!)
  • allknowing001
    allknowing001 Posts: 8
    edited June 2008
    1hawaii50 wrote: »
    ...this is why I spend a little extra to buy from Crutchfield ;). (Sorry for the shameless plug!)

Agreed. I'd rather be supporting a local brick-and-mortar car audio shop, but very few can compete with Crutchfield's service. Good luck with the install!
  • 1hawaii50
    edited June 2008
    Thanks! There are a few car audio shops near me, but they have some pretty shady people working there, so I tend to stay away.
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited June 2008
    shady people? if u live in hawaii... maybe maui? there is a shop that i went in when i was there on vacation and they had a ton of trophies.... and about 5 install bays with about 15 cars in the parking lot.... try to find a place like that... ask a dealership who they use
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • 1hawaii50
    edited June 2008
    I don't live in Hawaii (don't I wish :o), I live in Cleveland, Ohio. I'm a police officer (Hawaii 5 Oh', the old police show), so I guess I'm dating myself now :eek:! I prefer to do the installs myself anyways, whenever possible. I also do most of my mechanical myself. I hate leaving my cars in somebody elses hands!

On a side note, I got the amp mounted today, power and negative cables run and hooked up, and rear speakers installed. I got the front components in yesterday. I still need to mount 3 of the 4 crossovers, and wire the LOC and run the RCA's. My replacement tweeter will be here tomorrow (thanks again Crutchfield!), so hopefully I will have sound tomorrow!!!