no sound!

Options
eliti
eliti Posts: 1
ok, i am having some trouble getting sound from my home theater.
i have an onkyo txsr600 receiver, panasonic progressive scan dvd player, hitachi 43 inch, polk rm 6700's and polk psw303.

i have everything going through my receiver.
the speakers are hooked up, the sub is connected to the subwoofer pre-out. my dvd player is connected to the receiver through an optical cable. the associate at the store i bought my stuff at told me to hook an audio rca cable from my audio to hi-fi on my tv to the cd input on my receiver. i am getting great video, but i can not get any audio when i am playing dvd's.

can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong?

thanks in advance for the help!

todd
Post edited by eliti on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by eliti
    the associate at the store i bought my stuff at told me to hook an audio rca cable from my audio to hi-fi on my tv to the cd input on my receiver.
    todd

I don't understand this at all...

Please make sure your receiver is set to take the Optical in. There should be 3 options which are Optical, Digital Coax and analog. If an option other than optical are selected you won't receive and process the signal at the receiver... hence no audio.

Welcome to the Forum and Good Luck.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Ya, I don't understand what you're talking about concerning the salesman, either. Hook the TV to the CD input??

Bottom line.. follow the signal. If you're already getting great video, then no worries.

For the audio, you have to bring the digital signal to your receiver somehow, via either a digital coax or Toslink (optical). So, you have to have the cable. THen, as H said, you have to let the receiver know where to get the audio signal... from one of the coax or toslink inputs. Check the receiver's manual for this... I'd think it would have a very detailed explanation of hookup.

Are you getting audio from other sources?? In other words, you've checked your speaker connections, checked the speaker on/off button, etc, so you've narrowed it down specifically to the DVD audio??

Your receiver's manual is available online.... although I couldn't get it to load properly...