Re-Vamp on the little S10

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited December 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, first of all, I'm a 2ch guy, haven't really done much to brag about out CS wise, but have setup a couple upgraded rigs in our family cars. I currently have a *small* system in my 1997 S10 as follows:

Infinity Reference 4x6 in the dash.

Infinity Reference 6.5 in the doors.

Polk EX10 Sub, .75 cu ft box w/ .5 lb of fill, sealed, running off a
Jensen 200 watt (bridged) amp, crossed at 80Hz, 12db/octave.

Jvc KD-S620 head unit (17x4 watts cont, remote, 1 set of preouts)

Well, I've fubared my right 4x6 (starting to buzz), obviously from A. not using bass blockers and/or B. driving the deck's internal amp to clipping.

Which Polk 4x6 and 6.5 (oversized, but willing to MacGuyver a bit) can I use to bring this in on a budget? AND should I keep my Infinity 6.5's?

On those 4x6 and 6.5, are XTC baffles something I should look at?

Space in a little pickup cab is limited, so I'd like to bag a 4ch amp (on a budget again, but not a flea mrkt special) to power the main 4 speakers. Suggestions?

What bass-blocking options do I have, without leaving 'gaps' in the freq spectrum? (sub crossed at 80Hz on the Jensen) All I can seem to find (at Crutchfield, etc) is 150Hz, 300Hz, etc. OR, should I be looking at an amp with a high-pass filter built in?

SPL is NOT my focus. SQ is, and on a budget. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Rooster
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2002
    well... i kind of had the same problem with my grandfather's pickup.... here's how i dealt with all of it...

power >> bought a single four channel amp -- ran the front stage at 2 ohms so i had all 4 speakers hooked to the 2 ront channels.... the rear channel bridged to the subs.

in your case -- you might want to get a better 2 channel instead of a cheap 4 channel... and just run it at 2 ohms...

speakers>> leave the infinities since they're not your "fronts"... they dont handle clarity of highs as well but they;re not bad... try to get some pioneer TSA series or polk dx or polk EXIII series for the dash speakers... for your situatio - i think the pioneer would be the clearest ones.

bass blocking>> use the 80 hertz on the sub -- if you want -- get a 100 hertz FMOD low pass for it from crutchfield. (fmod plugs into your RCA line between rca and amp -- they're helpful).

use a 100 hertz fmod on the highs -- this will keep them from rattling, bustig, or otherwise sounding like crap because they're in dash/ doors / wherever.

dont bother with the foam baffles unless you have water leakage in doors.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited December 2002
    For a minute there I thought this was a going to be a review on pumps or something..scripted by Russman.

*check the archives*

:lol:
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend