2 Channel Amps

MxStYlEpOlKmAn
MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
edited December 2002 in Electronics
I am looking for a good 2 channel amp, I am going to be purchases 3 of them over the next year

Heres what I want in them

1) 150+ wats per channel
2) 500 and down, nothing past 500 dollars
3) .05 or less
4) 20-20 hz response
5) good build quality

yeah, I am real interested in a AMC, and Adcom.

Any recomendations would be helpful, thank you
Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
I promised myself
No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
Damn you all! - ATC
Post edited by MxStYlEpOlKmAn on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2002
    Most amps will be 20-20 regardless, if not better. Don't get too hung up on THD ratings, the human ear cannot detect distortion less than .1 %.

Why 150 wpc? How did you come to that number?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    If you're not opposed to used equipment I'd check out Carver. You could probably some up for much less than $500. Later on down the road you could get 3 more and bridge each one and have wattage to spare.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • gidrah
    edited December 2002
    I'm assuming it's per unit to compete with the 5-ch Outlaw he's considering.

Personally, I applaud this idea as he could use one amp for his lefts and one for his rights. Pretty much a 5 ch mono rig as the ch. separation from front to rear is insignificant.
  • gidrah
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Gidrah,

Carver is nice, though I dont believe it blends with the RT or LSI line well at all (thats just me).

Either route, I believe this is a much better direction then the Outlaw. If anything, your speakers will not be able to cope with the amp powering them. Just be carefull.... ;)

From what I gather from his posts and presumed listening tastes; combined with your very informative review of the LSi, I would think the Carvers would be a perfect match.

I don't know of ANY 5 channel amp within this price range that can sustain a 4 ohm load (all 5 channels) over an extended period of time (at volumes I'm expecting Sid to drive them at). I've seen the specs, but it seems to me that one make or another from any manufacturer peters out. The transformer overheats and the capacitors dry-up. Even the "mighty Rotel" 5-ch met it's demise on this forum. That's why (and other sources) made me strongly suggest filling out the warranty card.
  • gidrah
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Gidrah,
    Its one of his better ideas yet....

Yeah, whomever came up with this must be a genius.;)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2002
    I found Carvers to be rather harsh and distorted sounding on the 9's. Carvers are well built, but are noisey

I can't really comment on the Carver/LSi matchup however in all other applications, I think that I'd beg to differ. In fact, I think a lot of folks would tend to disagree. Could be you had a bad amp.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    edited December 2002
    Again, I think we will agree to disagree.

You would have a tough sell that ANY receiver was better than just about any form of separates.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2002
    Q-tips anyone?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    I prefer year round ear muffs...........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    - Mxsty enjoys the more modern rock it seems, so I am not sure if Carver would be his best choice or not. However, if one thing can be said - its very powerfull and can hold its own and sustain the volumes the kid would want. -
    cool...but i gotta like the sound to listen to it loud, just because klipsch plays loud dont mean i like it! LOL!

- Its one of his better ideas yet.... -
    thank you

- If the price is set at 500 each..... hell his options are friggen limitless. -
    I am going for one 2 channel amp, for 500 or less, preferably in the 300-400 range. then i am going to go for a 3 channel amp, with 125 wats or more, the 2 channel amp can be 80 wats or more. ohh yeah, the 3 channel amp can be 800 or less.

- Also have to ask, this 500 dollar limit.

Is this limit set for "per-unit"..... ? ?? ? or "total costs"? -
    for th 2 channel amp

- So is the whole outlaw deal now a thing of the past or... ? -
    the outlaw deal is in consideration, i am getting ready to buy something, and i feel the 2 channel + 3 channel amp deal will be the best way to go, and nething will look better than that **** symbol outlaw has, and the amp the outlaw is will easily over power my speakers! so u know...

- Most amps will be 20-20 regardless, if not better. Don't get too hung up on THD ratings, the human ear cannot detect distortion less than .1 %.
    Why 150 wpc? How did you come to that number? -
    I will take no less than 80 wats (for my 2 channel amp, because when i get my 3 channel i will move this amp to the surrounds. 150 wats, why? because i want them to be more wats than my mains! thd now adays, well crap its hard to find one thats less than .05! lol! but i am looking at adcoms, they have clean wats and a .**** thd rating! they also have the leds on the front that tell u when the speakers have came to their limit...
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • TroyD
    edited December 2002
    Just a couple observations:

Do you know what the real differance in 80 and 100 wpc is? Not much. I've got a 10wpc integrated amp that will play any reasonable efficient speaker loud enough to damage your hearing.

THD ratings are fairly meaningless.

As far as what amp is right for you? Well, that's something only you can ultimately decide.

BDT
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    i know that 10 wpc *clean wats* can power nething, my dad's yammer dsp 15 wpc can drive his 800 wat klipsch to ear bleeding levels clean. but, why on earth would i buy a 10 wat amp? dont get me wrong, if i can get my hands on a 3 channel amp - 80 or 100 wats x 3, ill take it - if its reasonable

well, actually a 80 wat sony,to a 100 wat yammer, there is a HUGE difference *in everything*
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited December 2002
    Well here's my 2cents.

Back in the 80's I was blessed enough to own a Carver M 1.5t ,a C-2 pre, and a pair of Polk SDA-2's it was magical no matter what source I listened to. Now I admit to being 20 years older and maybe my hearing ain't what it use to be. But today I my mains Polk RT 1000's are connected to yes a Carver TFM-35x the combo still has magic to me. Dollar for watt I don't need to get any better. If I could find (2) more I'd buy them. Old sound ? new sound ? I admit to being confused. I thought a amp simply boosted the signal no matter what it was. I must be getting old!
    ANYWAY I LIKE CARVER AND POLK SORRY
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Welp, i ordered my two channel amp today. I got it off ebay! its an Adcom, 100 x 2 amp. and here it is, im happy i finally got home so my mom could order the thing, i was going into this thing going to buy a 80 wat 2 channel, and i end up with a 100...lol
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14973&item=1947731115
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • jmasterj
    edited December 2002
    Oh yeah,

I forgot to mention that Iv'e never ever had a problem out of either of the Carver amps, or pre amps. Call me old and lucky. Or maybe I know something good when I see and hear it. Now don't get me wrong waving the flag and all. If I could afford it I'd have
    Mac tubes pushing B&W, JM lab, or Wilson Watt puppies. Just saying that at my level of resources music sounds like it's being reproduced but every now and then I can close my eyes and it seems like James Ingram is standing right there singing.
  • jmasterj
    edited December 2002
    I hope you enjoy it. I would buy Adcom. Don't know any one with one but I'm sure you'll be happy. Let us know what you think.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    i know of one board member here that has one..and thats Ron and I think he has 4 of em! LOL!
    My dad has 3 of them, and I love the sound of the adcom's...
    Adcom, is nothing but clean power, good build quality - with a smooth but Powerful sound, they make theirself present in the room, they let u know their there and running - unlike my yamaha, it just lets u know its trying, trying to produce music - which it dosnt exactly succeed in...
    After I get my Adcom amps, i am going to get an adcom preamp, and then im going to sale the yammer to my dad. I might trade it for a pair of his blown Advent's...
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited December 2002
    Don't know how clean or dirty the watts are, or how warm or cold the sound is, LOL But its 2 channel and sounds good to me on my 70's... anyways just a few snap shots, gotta love the green lights.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited December 2002
    here it is again with light
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by TroyD

THD ratings are fairly meaningless.
    BDT

Agreed in todays standards... but, 30 years ago this was the standard to achieve.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • faster100
    edited December 2002
    Hbomb, Did you get my e-mail i just sent you? i sent it to work and home, Let me know. Thanks
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • HBombToo
    edited December 2002
    Cliff, for whatever reason I can't email you but I have your phone # programed into my portable.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • HBombToo
    edited December 2002
    BTW here is the message from our server.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: sub woofer JBL 12
    Sent: 12/30/2002 11:22 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'Glassware-girl2' on 12/30/2002 11:23 AM
    The recipient name is not recognized
    The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=Alamosa PCS;l=HOMER-021230172226Z-32565
    MSEXCH:IMS:Alamosa PCS:ALNTDOM:HOMER 3550 (000B09AA) 550 5.1.1 <G.glassgirl@verizon.com>... User unknown
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2002
    Mx,
    i've been looking at the adcom amps for a month or so now. I too am looking for a 2 or 3 channel one. for fronts and center. Most everyone i've talked to... have good things to say about the Adcom's. will it be running your fronts?
    I'd be interested to see how it sounds. and what improvements you find. what receiver do you have?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • faster100
    edited December 2002
    Hbomb, I will take this to off topic. and leave this amp thread alone, I sent you an e-mail from my new yahoo e-mail account.
    Its faster100s@yahoo.com Is sent this this morning...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited December 2002
    Have you considered the H/K PA-2000? At $400 and with clean, high current discreet amps I think it can't be beat. Own one myself, using it to bi-amp my RT-800i's along with an H/K AVR 7000 and I've been very satisfied.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Originally posted by danger boy
    Mx,
    i've been looking at the adcom amps for a month or so now. I too am looking for a 2 or 3 channel one. for fronts and center. Most everyone i've talked to... have good things to say about the Adcom's. will it be running your fronts?
    I'd be interested to see how it sounds. and what improvements you find. what receiver do you have?
    Im using a yamaha, the amp i bought will be running the fronts, i will later buy 2 more 2 channel amps to run the backs and center
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • kanicker
    kanicker Posts: 86
    edited December 2002
    wlrandall:

I have both the PA-2000 and the 800i pair... do you bi-wire the speakers using the amp in the bridged position? 100x2? Can you elaborate on the setup? Im curious...
  • faster100
    edited December 2002
    That amp i beleive is 45 x4 or bridged 100 x2, i would imagine you would first bridge them to 2x 100 and run dual wires out of each binding post from the amp, to each speaker input top and bottom, that is the way i have my rti70's bi-wired. I have also used my 4 outputs A/B and Bi-amped my mains, each output went to each input on each speaker, so my A switch powered the left and right tweeters and the B switch powered the mid drivers left and right. My amp is 2x4 165 wpc
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited December 2002
    i have a queston about crown/samson 2 channel amps? how good are they for driveing subs i am waiting for my 2 av15 now i need to find a amp to drive them i think i want eather 350 or 500 wpc but that might be over kill dont know i can use all the help