bridging two home amps

Options
gtsdarts
gtsdarts Posts: 15
:confused: could some one explain how to plug in the rca interconnects from two amps to a preamp
gtsdarts
Post edited by gtsdarts on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!
    Unless you have 2 main outs on your preamp you'll need 2 Y-splitters. 2 females into 1 male. 1 for each channel. Then plug your interconnects into these.
    May I inquire as to what you are doing this for? And what with?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • gtsdarts
    edited December 2002
    Options
    i was going to bi amp my polk rta12 speakers ..so i have two nad 2140 amps ..and one phase linear preamp 3000 SERIES II.. ON MY AMPS THERE ARE RCA NORMAL IN L&R ,AND LAB IN L&R RCA PLUGS AND A BRIDGE BUTTON ON EACH THAT IS COVERED BY A PLATE I THINK ONCE YOU BRIDGE YOU REMOVE THE PLATE AND PUSH BUTTON TO OUT POSITION.MY PREAMP HAS LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT OUTPUTS
    gtsdarts
  • gtsdarts
    edited December 2002
    Options
    WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE TO BRIDGING MORE POWER
    gtsdarts
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Options
    In that case you wouldn't need the Ys, just a standard set of ICs will work as long as the end leads are long enough as the amp ins will be further apart than the standard side-by-side ins on a single amp. With bridging the amps you wouldn't be able to bi-amp. Bi-wire yes, but not bi-amp. I don't know enough about the 2140s to give specifics as to how to bridge these.

Yes, more power. You'll also have a dual mono system which is usually better than stereo. Better channel separation and such.

If you want to bi-amp, you'll need the Ys. Use one amp for each channel. This is what I would try first.

Nice rig!
    Make it Funky! :)