Anti-copy CDs! You may have one already.

CHRIS
CHRIS Posts: 454
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I read this today about a new anti-copy protection for CDs. It will esentally end burning copies and down loading onto the internet. Which will end sites like Napster and others, in time or leave them with old music. You will be able to down load in some ways onto your PC but thats it, basicly. Check it out at-

www.zdnet.com/zdfeeds/msncobrand/news/0%2C13622%2C281...

It should be /news after msncobrand not n... This was to long to fit on one line and wold not workfor me. I tried other ways still no luck. If you want to read the report you will have to type it in yourself or goto MSN.com

Chris
Chris :)
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2001
    Chris,
    I told a friend I would have three cd's copied for her. I hope I can keep my promise. Is there any way AT ALL to look at the discs themselves and see some type of marking?

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)

I hope the terror **** make the mistake of attacking Southeast Florida. You feeling up to the task? Still got my email address?
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited September 2001
    George, you cracked me up with that one!

Chris, I still have that cable. Sounds great. Things been going alright for you lately?

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • George Grand
    edited September 2001
    Glad you liked it. It was either that, or "half-assed Charles Manson look-a-likes". I went with terror ****. Probably going to offend someone, so I'd better apologize now. I'M SORRY, but it kinda slipped out.

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited September 2001
    ...Related to CD copy protection, not the terror ****..

I read that stroy on MSN this morning. This link has some good information, too. http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq.html
  • CHRIS
    edited September 2001
    George
    Happy to see your fingers can still type my name! No, there is no way to tell if you have one of these CDs unless yo try to burn one and can't. They released 10s of thousands over the last couple of months to get consumer feedback. Maybe the date, if you can read it, near the center of the disc will tell you. You need to hold it in the right light to see it along with the product #. No I don't have your email its in the post you wrote though, should I write? I would enjoy bust'n a cap in a sandni__ers head, its what we call them, the terrorists, here.
    No offence ment to anyone but terrorists.

Wes,
    Whats up man! Things are going so so, complaining does no good. Glad the cables helped. I saw Partywaggin on a bid on eBay and was going to write you something but since you had not been on the forum I figured it might not be a good idea. How are things with you?

Good to hear form you both!!
    Chris
  • George Grand
    edited September 2001
    I think I'll be okay with THESE cd's. I bought them at least a year ago. still pisses me off though. Why does SONY sell a cd recorder, if they're going to make it impossible to record one?

Sure I can type your name. It seems to be the time to bury hatchets.

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited September 2001
    I wouldn't worry too much about the copy protection. Remember how they touted the Macrovision protection on DVD's as being "unbreakable?" It only took a few months before some kid (high school kid, I think) broke the code. Now people all over the 'net are ripping DVD's and distributing them.

Aaron
  • CHRIS
    edited September 2001
    After futher reading, the test CDs were released in Europe. The anticopy potection is not being done by Macro another company is working on a device witch is encoded into the CD to prompt a error code in PCs when being transfered from the drive to a file or online. IMO it seems like a catand mouse game. There was not a lot mentioned about it and I'm not into making copies. To me with what I've seen of ripped DVDs I would rather buy. As far as CDs I just go buy the disc I want at the time.
    Chris
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2001
    I don’t intend to make copy of DVDs, but I do want to make copy of all my favorite songs to a few CDs (home use, car audio). I believe as long as I used the licensed blank disc to make copy from commercial disc and for personal use only, I hope I didn't violate any copyright laws. I need some advice, can someone tell me do I violate the copyright laws if I make copy of CD and share it or give it to a friend? What is the true definiton of "personal use"? Thanx