MMC6500 and MMC690 Wiring advice?

1hawaii50
1hawaii50 Posts: 26
edited May 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a set of MMC6500's for the front doors, and a set of MMC690's for the rear deck of my 07 Altima, and was wondering the best way to wire them? My amp is a Kicker ZX650.4 120w x 4 amp. Should I bridge the amp to run the 6500's only and run the rears off of the head unit? Will the base radio/stock head unit be enough to power them? Or should I run the front components off of channels 1/2 and the rears off of 3/4? This amp puts out 325W X 2 bridged, so I don't want to "cook" anything. Any advice is appreciated.
Post edited by 1hawaii50 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2008
    Head units are a horrible power supply. Youve got a powerhouse amp and it would be a shame to waste it. Run the 6x9's off the rear channels, the 6.5's off the front and adjust the gain to blend in with the front speakers and sit back and enjoy!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1hawaii50
    edited May 2008
    Forgot to mention that I have a Navone l.o.c. to run patch cables from my head unit to my amp. Here's a stupid question. My amp is a 120 x 4 channel amp, since both sets of speakers utilize a crossover, will each speaker (both the tweeter and the woofer) see 120w to play their respective highs/lows, or will the crossover supply 60w to the woofer, and 60w to the tweeter? If they are only going to get the 60w each, is that enough to drive them decently?

Thanks for the help.
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited May 2008
    60w each and yeah thats plenty of power.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • candaddy
    candaddy Posts: 54
    edited May 2008
    It's impossible to say how many watts each speaker will get (mids or tweeters) because it will vary with the incoming signal, but in general, yes it'll be split up in some capacity. A tweeter generally doesn't require as much power as the mids do.

I've found my Momo's sound better when I use the dual input on the crossover, set the attenuation switch to 0db and then use the amp gains to adjust the mid-tweeter level. To do that I was using a four channel amp and it worked very nicely. When I used only the single input (currently, but not for long), the -3db setting sounded best to me.

Because you've got the 6X9's, I'd say to do it how MacLeod said and be happy with it. I think you'll like it. The MMC's are not the best sounding speakers I've ever heard, but I think they are really good value for the money (like 80% the sound for 20% the money). I have some issues with my install and once they are resolved, I figure I'm going to be more than stoked with these speakers. I think Polk and Momo did an awesome job with cost/value/appearance.
  • 1hawaii50
    edited May 2008
    Great advice guys, (and/or girls :)) and thanks, that's just what I needed to know. I'd get a second 4 channel and run each individually, but my wife is going to kill me as it is :p.
  • candaddy
    candaddy Posts: 54
    edited May 2008
    once she hears it, she might change her mind... :)
  • thumpin07
    thumpin07 Posts: 217
    edited May 2008
    lovebeijyo wrote: »
    We shall never have friends if we expect to find them without fault.
    Our wow power leveling website offer Fast and Secure wow powerleveling service. WoW Power Leveling 60-70, Cheap wow power leveling 1-70. The Professional WoW Power Leveling! Powerlevel WoW Power Leveling now. WOrld of warcraft Power Leveling bloom of true love associated with this time of year!

reported
    tyler birch

ht system
    denon avr-1907
    monitor 70 towers-polkaudio
    nakamichi bx -100 tape deck
    sony 5 disc cd/dvd player hdmi ready
    velodyne dps-12 subwoofer

Car audio

AMP: FUSION EN-AM8001 800 watts max 368 watts rms x 1 channel @ 2 ohms stable
    SUB: 12 INCH 1000W DVC VOLFENHAG 2 Ohm stable useable ohms 2-8ohms