DB651problems please help!!!!!!!!!!

jllentz
jllentz Posts: 4
edited May 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
hi i bought a set of DB651 6.5 speakers, and hooked them up to a amp. Blew the first set.. had them replaced and used a lower wattage amp and now all i am getting is static in one speaker and no sound in the other.. my battery is in the trunk and i have a 2gauge cable going to it to a block where i splice off my subwoofer amp and the amp powering the speakers. the amp is a Kicker KX200.2 200 Watt 2 Channel Amplifier..... i am very disppointed with my product right now...... but i know they will be great once i get them up and running!!! any help would be greatly appreciated
jllentz is offline Reply With Quote
Post edited by jllentz on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2008
    Hard to believe you got 4 bad speakers in a row. Do you have a spare set of speakers lying around? If so try hooking them up to the amp and see how they play.

Id wager something is wrong elsewhere.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • jllentz
    edited May 2008
    im not saying the speakers are bad. what else could the problem be? i know the amp works... should i seperate the grounds and let the 6.5's speaker amp have its own ground?
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited May 2008
    jllentz wrote: »
    hi i bought a set of DB651 6.5 speakers, and hooked them up to a amp. Blew the first set.. had them replaced and used a lower wattage amp and now all i am getting is static in one speaker and no sound in the other.. my battery is in the trunk and i have a 2gauge cable going to it to a block where i splice off my subwoofer amp and the amp powering the speakers. the amp is a Kicker KX200.2 200 Watt 2 Channel Amplifier..... i am very disppointed with my product right now...... but i know they will be great once i get them up and running!!! any help would be greatly appreciated
    jllentz is offline Reply With Quote

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/speakers/6-1-2/db651/

If your amp is truly 200 watts RMS X 2, you have the potential to put enough heat into the voice coils of your db651 speakers to cause damage, and enough power to drive the motor assemblies to the point of mechanical damage. You can make this work just fine with some attention to detail, but without it I see a whole bunch of blown speakers in your future.

The db651s are rated to handle 60 watts RMS all day long, and having more power on-tap isn't a bad thing, but you have to be careful with using a low gain setting and not using any kind of "boost" or "EQ" functions while applying common sense with the volume knob. If you're not applying a high-pass filter to those speakers, do so, as running those speakers full range with that amount of power will decrease their life expectancy if you play them at high volume. You'll want to cross them over (with a high pass filter) around 80-100hz to prevent them from bottoming out.
  • jllentz
    edited May 2008
    ok im not cranking it up or any thing.. maybe ill look into buying a smaller amp over the weekend and see if my luck changes.. good thing i have a warranty on the speakers
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2008
    That amp is only 70x2 at 4 ohm. While it could fry your speakers I doubt thats the problem. I know you said this is a different amp but are you sure it works properly and isnt fried itself?

If the amps is squared away my first guess would be that maybe a speaker wire is shorting to ground somewhere. Try running some speaker wires outside the car from the amp to the speakers and see if that does anything.

My next guess would be maybe the RCA's are shorting out somewhere. I know its a **** but either pull them out and run them outside the car to check.

My thinking is that one of the wires couldve had the insulation ripped open by an exposed screw or something under the trim panels and is shorting to ground somehow.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D