adjust dimmer on I-Sonic Enterainment System 2

Options
dcat
dcat Posts: 5
edited May 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hi Modders -

So I've been hunting for a clock radio replacement. A while back I got an HD radio for my living room, and added HD to my meager list of wants for the desired clock radio (my previous bedside clock radio's reception was pretty junky, and I live in radio-drenched NYC!).

I bought the I-Sonic 2 a few weeks ago and it is very close to what I'd want in a clock radio. I'm considering returning this otherwise excellent radio to Amazon because the dimmer function is pretty useless. This radio has a four or five setting dimmer switch, accessible by remote as well as button on the radio. However, the second-to-lowest setting is still too bright for nighttime, while the lowest setting makes the clock difficult to read at night, and unreadable at sunrise.

I'd be happy to keep this radio if I could somehow adjust the levels of brightness that the dimmer sets. Can anyone help me reprogram this dimmer switch or even install perhaps a rheostat? My electronics knowledge is very mediocre but I can handle a screwdriver and a soldering iron...

Thanks -

Doug
Post edited by dcat on

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2008
    Options
    I might try reposting this in the Trouble Shooting section as that is a gateway to Polk employees. They might have a few ideas.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2008
    Options
    How about a neatly trimmed piece of window tint?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Doug, I'm not aware of any way to dim the display other than through the menu.

I know what you are saying regarding the brightness, I have mine on top of a TV in the bedroom, and I have a small peice of craft felt I keep on top of the unit, and let it hang over the display at night. It is bright for sure.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dcat
    dcat Posts: 5
    edited May 2008
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Doug, I'm not aware of any way to dim the display other than through the menu.

I know what you are saying regarding the brightness, I have mine on top of a TV in the bedroom, and I have a small peice of craft felt I keep on top of the unit, and let it hang over the display at night. It is bright for sure.

Cheers,
    Russ

Thanks for all the responses. Yeah I was thinking of covering the clock at night. However the clock is out of reach so I'd have to get up everytime I wanted to see what time it is! Grrrrr. I may send this back yet. I suppose I could always grab the remote to see what time it is at night, but as the remote isn't backlit, I can't see the buttons at night!