Need advice on my new car system! please help

umaronly
umaronly Posts: 13
edited May 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi everyone
I am new here and need some advice from the experienced lot here on my new car (Honda Accord) proposed system before I shell out the money. I am looking at installing the following stuff (apologies for the length, but I need some serious detailed guidance here):

1. Alpine 9887 HU
2. Polk SR6500 (in the front only, no rear fill)
3. Polk SR 124 in the rear for the low frequencies

What I need from you lot is:
1. Is 9887 the best HU to get for SQ? I already have the 880PRS and love the auto TA and EQ it does and its results, I am hoping the imprint auto ta and eq is even better. However, what about the kdc-x991? is there a way to auto ta and eq it and does it sound better? or should I go for Nakamichi cd700II and is there a way to adjust the ta and eq for that (i know there is no option built into the unit). Please note I am looking at the best possible SQ with the ability to play mp3s off CD-RW, and there is no one available here to tune my system so have to rely on the unit's capabilities
2. Which amp(s) would you recommend to me to drive the speakers and sub? I was thinking of 400.4 to use two channels for the front and bridging two channels to drive the sr124 (should I get sr124 DVC? what is the difference in SQ? I want accurate low end that does not stand out from the music)
3. What other tips/equipment would you recommend to me to improve my SQ in the car? I am probably not going to go for sound deadening yet.
4. Already have the Premium series mb quart components. How do the sr6500 compare?

Thanks y'all. Looking forward to all the help.
Post edited by umaronly on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2008
    umaronly wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    I am new here and need some advice from the experienced lot here on my new car (Honda Accord) proposed system before I shell out the money. I am looking at installing the following stuff (apologies for the length, but I need some serious detailed guidance here):

1. Alpine 9887 HU
    2. Polk SR6500 (in the front only, no rear fill)
    3. Polk SR 124 in the rear for the low frequencies

What I need from you lot is:
    1. Is 9887 the best HU to get for SQ? I already have the 880PRS and love the auto TA and EQ it does and its results, I am hoping the imprint auto ta and eq is even better. However, what about the kdc-x991? is there a way to auto ta and eq it and does it sound better? or should I go for Nakamichi cd700II and is there a way to adjust the ta and eq for that (i know there is no option built into the unit). Please note I am looking at the best possible SQ with the ability to play mp3s off CD-RW, and there is no one available here to tune my system so have to rely on the unit's capabilities

The 9887 is an awesome head unit. If youre not wanting to compete in SQ competitions, itll be all you ever need. 5 band graphic doesnt sound like much but you can do a lot with it. The time alignment is the best out there in .5 ms increments. Not real impressed with the Imprint or any "auto" setting devices. We all hear stuff differnently. If youre wanting the best possible SQ then you should look into the H701 processor. Its another $700 but has all the tuning features you could ever want!

2. Which amp(s) would you recommend to me to drive the speakers and sub? I was thinking of 400.4 to use two channels for the front and bridging two channels to drive the sr124 (should I get sr124 DVC? what is the difference in SQ? I want accurate low end that does not stand out from the music)

I recommend getting a 4 channel amp and bi-amping the components so you can use the crossover in the Alpine. The 200.4 would work well and the 500.4 would work even better.
    3. What other tips/equipment would you recommend to me to improve my SQ in the car? I am probably not going to go for sound deadening yet.

If you have a late model Accord, the 6500's will NOT fit in the doors without some cutting and a whole bunch of spacers. The SR5250's will drop right in using the supplied 6.5 to 5.25 adapter plate.

Its a mistake not using any damping yet. You dont have to pull out the interior and coat everything but you should at least do the doors. I recommend at least getting a Dynamat door kit and preferably one door kit per door. Raammat is a good low price solution with high quality alternative.
    4. Already have the Premium series mb quart components. How do the sr6500 compare?

The Quarts have a "natrual" sound like the SR's but the SR's have a much smoother high end. The midbass energy is probably a bit more with the SR's but the Quarts have a little better punch.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • umaronly
    edited May 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    The 9887 is an awesome head unit. If youre not wanting to compete in SQ competitions, itll be all you ever need. 5 band graphic doesnt sound like much but you can do a lot with it. The time alignment is the best out there in .5 ms increments. Not real impressed with the Imprint or any "auto" setting devices. We all hear stuff differnently. If youre wanting the best possible SQ then you should look into the H701 processor. Its another $700 but has all the tuning features you could ever want!

I recommend getting a 4 channel amp and bi-amping the components so you can use the crossover in the Alpine. The 200.4 would work well and the 500.4 would work even better.

If you have a late model Accord, the 6500's will NOT fit in the doors without some cutting and a whole bunch of spacers. The SR5250's will drop right in using the supplied 6.5 to 5.25 adapter plate.

Its a mistake not using any damping yet. You dont have to pull out the interior and coat everything but you should at least do the doors. I recommend at least getting a Dynamat door kit and preferably one door kit per door. Raammat is a good low price solution with high quality alternative.

The Quarts have a "natrual" sound like the SR's but the SR's have a much smoother high end. The midbass energy is probably a bit more with the SR's but the Quarts have a little better punch.

So, which set would you suggest, the quarts or the sr's? I was looking at two head units for the new car in place of the pioneer p880prs - the kenwood x991 and the alpine 9887. Any comments on which is better, specially paired with the two speakers I mention?
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2008
    I prefer the smoother high end and better midrange detail of the SR's. And Ill usually always take Alpine over anything else. Not only do they look better IMO, but their build quality is top notch. Ive had several Alpines over the years and have NEVER had ANY problem with any of them.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2008
    You already have an 880? I wouldnt get rid of it, theres not a better deck out there for less than $500.

Also, theres no use in buying expensive components and not deadening the doors. Its like putting a LS2 in a semi and going for speed.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2008
    My main **** with the 880 is its a real pain to navigate thru and use the tuning features.

The few Ive seen are just not easy to use. Granted Im not that smart but the Alpine's tuning features are ridiculously simple to navigate thru and understand.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2008
    Probably because youre used to Alpine because I'm the exact opposite. I find Alpine's menus hell to deal with but Pioneers I can do with ease. Besides the fact it only takes about an hour to figure absolutely everything out...which isnt much in the scope of how long youll be keeping it, Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, or otherwise.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • umaronly
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the input guys

The main reason for me to look at changing the 880prs is because the front of the hu is worn with use and looks kinda ugly. I am looking at very neutral and high fidelity sound, do not necessarily need a LOT of volume, just pristine clarity and detail since I mostly listen to music in the car.

The main issue I have is, I have heard that the alpines add a little brightness and bass to the signal even when at flat eq, and pioneer adds only a little bass when flat, whereas eclipse and kenwood both do not do this. I like the look of kenwood better so thats why looking more towards that, but I am also concerned about the tuning of the sound in the car, since I am not familiar with manual tuning nor do I have a lot of time, and the pioneer had a decent auto ta and eq function which I use to give a much realistic sound, if not perfect.

So guys, help me out here. I need the best possible sq, do not have a lot of worries about the dollars spent, but of course would want the best bang for the buck as far as the speakers and amps go, would want the best hu I can find and one that i can tune in my car to get pristine clear true fidelity sound..
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2008
    Hogwash! Im on my third different Alpine head unit and regularly tune with an RTA as do all the members of my team, all of which use Alpine HU's, and Ive NEVER seen any of them EVER add any extra bump in any part of the frequency response so long as you keep the Media Expander OFF.

Id be surprised is Pioneer's didnt do the same. Im sure Pioneer has their own version of Media Expander and so long as you keep it off, the sound would be neutral. Pioneer and Alpine are the two top HU makers in the world. I cant imagine they would make HU's that screwed up the sound.

Besides both Alpine and Pioneer are extensively SQ competition proven. Look in any SQ car and youll see either an Alpine or Pioneer.

Bottom line is that both are excellent but I prefer the features, look and useablity of Alpine. Plus I have known of some Pioneers to have noise issues.

• umaronly
    edited May 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Hogwash! Im on my third different Alpine head unit and regularly tune with an RTA as do all the members of my team, all of which use Alpine HU's, and Ive NEVER seen any of them EVER add any extra bump in any part of the frequency response so long as you keep the Media Expander OFF.

Id be surprised is Pioneer's didnt do the same. Im sure Pioneer has their own version of Media Expander and so long as you keep it off, the sound would be neutral. Pioneer and Alpine are the two top HU makers in the world. I cant imagine they would make HU's that screwed up the sound.

Besides both Alpine and Pioneer are extensively SQ competition proven. Look in any SQ car and youll see either an Alpine or Pioneer.

Bottom line is that both are excellent but I prefer the features, look and useablity of Alpine. Plus I have known of some Pioneers to have noise issues.

Okay, thanks for the input. Now, I need to know 2 things...one, does kenwood do good in terms of sq in competitions and would the x991 be an equally good or better choice if i wanna switch? and two, where can i find a detailed tutorial on how to manually tune an active 3way setup in my car (no imprint, no auto ta/eq, i need something much better)
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited May 2008
    i use a x-991 and it is a top notch unit. its the best sounding head unit imho. i have been dabbleing in car audio for over 20 years and have had lots of them. i used to be an alpine man but switched to kenwood. alpine and others make great units, but i love exelon!
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2008
    umaronly wrote: »
    Okay, thanks for the input. Now, I need to know 2 things...one, does kenwood do good in terms of sq in competitions and would the x991 be an equally good or better choice if i wanna switch? and two, where can i find a detailed tutorial on how to manually tune an active 3way setup in my car (no imprint, no auto ta/eq, i need something much better)

If youre going to be using an external processor/EQ then just get a good quality head unit. Regardless if its Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer or Clarion. All you need is a noise free, well built source unit and all the major brands are that. The only differences with them is their tuning features and if youre using an external EQ then they wont be a consideration.

The reason you dont see any Kenwoods in competitions is because there are only 3 processors to use. Alpine H701, Pioneer P9 and the Zapco. The 701 works only with an Alpine HU if you want to use the HU volume/fader/balance controls. P9's only work with Pioneer. The Zapco can work with anything tho.