Wiring rm6700's

grifpa1
grifpa1 Posts: 2
The Polk recommended wiring setup for RM6700 HT package and PWS350 sub is to wire the fronts thru the sub. Should I use a heavier gauge wire to the sub (10-12 guage) then a 14-16 ga from the sub to the fronts?

My Denon 2802 allows me to set the frequency response on the Sub Out to 120 hertz, but I would still get a hole from 120 to 150 hertz when fronts take over. Is that significant?
Post edited by grifpa1 on

Comments

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    When using speaker wire for a sub/sat package, you set the front left and right to large, center and surrounds to small, and sub to off. The subwoofer crossover will be active instead of the receiver crossover this way.
  • grifpa1
    grifpa1 Posts: 2
    edited December 2002
    Thanks Fireshoes, now could you actually read my question and post a response. I've read the manual, I know what Polk recommends. Also, the alternate wiring method to parallel wire to the sub and fronts - does anyone know if that affects the impedance?
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    grifpa1 could you actually read fireshoes reply and see that he answered 1/2 of it. If you hook it up this way there will be no whole of which you speak.

Yes, use heavier AWG wire to your sub.

Yes, the alternate wiring method would affect the impedence. It would also make for a sloppy blend where the sub meets the bottom range of the fronts.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • shiu
    shiu Posts: 169
    edited December 2002
    I was puzzled by Polk's recommended alternate method of paralleling the subs and sats. In theorry when you parallel two 8 ohm impedance, you get an equivalent of 4. In this case, it is not possible to know the equivalent impedance without knowing how the low pass circuit is connected at the sub, and what components it uses. It is likely that the equivalent impedance will be between 4 and 8 ohms. Unless you have an unfiltered input jack for connection to the filtered sub out of the amplifier, it would be best to connect the sub/sat system such as the RM series, according to Polk's first recommendation.
  • shiu
    shiu Posts: 169
    edited December 2002
    I was totally wrong in my previous comment regarding the effect on impedance, using the parallel hook up of the sat/sub speakers. I forgot that we are talking about powered subwoofers here.
  • botany
    botany Posts: 68
    edited December 2002
    Some people just don't know how to get help. When a person like fireshoes helps out another Polk member and gets a responses from the person that he is trying to help out; acts like moron this person should not get help from anyone on this forum again. I have never seen such degree of disrespect from a person asking for help on this forum.

Botany