HU for Alpine H701

black magic
black magic Posts: 669
edited May 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello all,

So I'm going to be adding the sr6500 to my setup this summer and I'm going to be re-doing my trunk as well. I'd like to add a processor and a HU which can control it. I'm very firm on picking up the Alpine PXA-H701 processor. My dilemma is how I will control it. I'm debating between the Alpine 9886 and 9887. Since I'm using a processor, I don't care much for the HU's EQ features. I just want to know if I can have full control over the processor. I'm leaning towards the 9887 because of the 24 Bit DAC.

I can't find info on 2 important things:
1) whether or not they have optical output
2) if I am better off using one of these hu's to control the H701 or if I should also get the C701 (which made specifically to control the H701 Processor)

Anyone know of any other models that have optical output and can control a processor?

Thanks!
Post edited by black magic on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2008
    If you can afford it, youre MUCH better off getting the 701's remote controler. Having to go thru the head unit every time you want to make an adjustment is a REAL pain in the ****. Youre listening to a track and hear something you dont like so you lean up from your normal listening position and work thru all the menus til you get to the 701, make the adjustment, back out of all the menus, click the track back to the beginning, lean back to your seating position and then listen. Crap that didnt work. So now you lean back up, work thru all the menus.......you see what I mean?

When you have the remote, you can sit back in your seat and make the adjusments in real time and see exactly how they effect the sound. You can use the HU's remote to reverse or fast forward or pause the track your listening to and never have to move. Its the ONLY way to tune.

Now as for optical outputs - you dont have to have one. I ran the Ai-Net cable all last year and never once got docked for noise. If you set your gains and levels right youll have virtually no noise. The only way you could hear the noise was if you paused the CD and turned the volume up passed 30. Even then it was only a slight hiss. Dont get me wrong, zero noise is always the best and an optical output is the only way to get zero noise but if you cant afford a $600 HU, dont think you need one. Unless youre going to compete in SQ competitions you can do without it. The only CD players with optical outputs are the DVA models that double as a DVD player.

And lastly, if you go with another brand say a Clarion and use its optical output, you wont be able to use the Clarion's fader, balance or volume. Youll have to control these things thru the 701 remote. You have to have an Alpine HU with the Ai-Net cable to control all these things from the HU. Thats what the Ai-Net cable does.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • black magic
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for your words of wisdom. I highly doubt I'll ever compete, but I'd like to learn how to properly tune a decent set of speakers. :)

The C701 controller is about $200 extra which I think I can spare for the added convenience... plus I've actually been considering some other HU's in which case I'd need one anyways.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2008
    what about the w205? Ive heard its pretty easy to navigate if you can accommodate a double din.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • black magic
    edited May 2008
    I really like the W505 and W205, but unfortunately, I don't have room for a double-din... I've considered moving the climate controls and fabricating the center console to fit it, but thats a lot of work. Right now I'd rather go with the traditional single din head unit. I'm not really a fan of the flip screens like the IVA-D105, so that's kind of out of the question for me. However, fitting a double din might be a fun project for next year. Thanks for the idea.
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2008
    If youre not going to compete, get yourself any old $250 Alpine HU with Ai-Net and spend the money you saved on a remote. The remote is stupid easy to use. NO head unit is easy to use. Even if youre not wanting to compete, there is nothing like being able to tune without having to lean up or anything. Just hold the remote in your hand from your leaned back position and tune to your hearts desire!

The only difference between using the Ai-Net for the input versus the optical output is some hiss at volumes higher than 29.......and youll only hear that with the CD on pause!

Trust me - you WANT the 701 remote.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • black magic
    edited May 2008
    Thanks again for the feedback. I'll look into that.

Is there another remote for the C701 other than the one that comes with it? :confused:
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2008
    No. But it is the best. Its the easiest remote Ive ever used for a processor. I never picked up the manual and still had everything figured out in about an hour of tinkering with it. Plus it looks cool and goes with your Alpine head unit. ;)

• black magic
    edited May 2008
    Thats good to hear. I've always like Alpine's gear :) I got my Pansonic hu that I have now at a steal, which is why I got it. Plus, I was too broke to have an entire system so I just used it to power my stock speakers and play MP3's.
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2008
    Let me guess. Trying to get those 25 posts so you can sell something in the flea market eh?

• thumpin07
    thumpin07 Posts: 217
    edited May 2008
    lol thats a good one
    tyler birch

ht system
    denon avr-1907
    monitor 70 towers-polkaudio
    nakamichi bx -100 tape deck
    sony 5 disc cd/dvd player hdmi ready
    velodyne dps-12 subwoofer

Car audio

AMP: FUSION EN-AM8001 800 watts max 368 watts rms x 1 channel @ 2 ohms stable
    SUB: 12 INCH 1000W DVC VOLFENHAG 2 Ohm stable useable ohms 2-8ohms