2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited May 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'll be getting a Grand Prix in a couple of weeks (have to get some other things sorted first) and I'll be installing a set of Boston Acoustics Pro60 components up front with a Boston Acoustics SPG555 sub. They both will be ran off an Alpine PDX-4.150 for now. When I can afford it I'll be getting an Alpine PDX-1.1000 and hook the sub to it. Anyways I need some ideas of customization on installation. The fronts are 6.5" with the factory tweeter right above the mid. Should I go with the factory location or put the tweeter in the very top corner of my A-pillar? Oh also my deck is an Alpine CDA-9831.
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• JoshParsons84
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys what I could also do is this. The Bostons (speaks and sub) are on layaway along with the amp. I could flat out buy the Polks SR's and SR sub and take the money that's already on the Bostons and put that on the Alpine and also get the PDX-1.1000 and balance out the money from the Bostons onto the 2 Alpine amps if y'all say that the Polks are that much more bad ****. Now I ask again where is the best place for the tweeter and what kind of an install would be best for the sub? I'm also thinking about putting in some 6x9 MOMO's as well for in the rear.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2008
    Forget the rear. Dont need it and only hurts the SQ.

Stick the tweeters in the A pillars. Thats usually the best place. Mount them about 1" higher than the highest point on your dash. If the stock mid's location is low and as far forward in the door as possible, thats a good spot. If theyre halfway up the door, thats a crappy spot. Everything will be coming from the drivers door.

Put the sub in a sealed box, in the middle of the trunk up against the back seat and fire it to the rear. Thats almost always the best spot for one.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JoshParsons84
    edited May 2008
    Are you saying flush mount them IN the pillar itself or just mount then on the pillar? Basically about 1" from the bottom of it? And then the box....do I have the sub hitting against the seats or hitting against the trunk? I've been driving since I was 14 and I think this is the first time I'm actually buying a car on my own with my own hard earned money so I want everything (performance,stereo) to be top notch on it. It'll be fitted with Dynmat Extreme all over the place i.e. headliner,trunk,under carpet,door panels,hood and anywhere else you can place it. I'll also be putting a remote start / keyless entry in it too so I'll need to know a good place for one of those later on also. I've thought of an ingenious way to pay for the payment. Say the car payment is $200 a month take that and multiply it by 12 (12 months in a year) and take that number and put that much in a seperate bank account. When the vehicle payment is due write a check out of that bank account and you wont have to come out of the pocket for your car payment. Not bad huh? And one more question about the rears. Do I leave the stock ones there or do I completely take them out and leave the holes there?
  • thumpin07
    thumpin07 Posts: 217
    edited May 2008
    Are you saying flush mount them IN the pillar itself or just mount then on the pillar? Basically about 1" from the bottom of it? And then the box....do I have the sub hitting against the seats or hitting against the trunk? I've been driving since I was 14 and I think this is the first time I'm actually buying a car on my own with my own hard earned money so I want everything (performance,stereo) to be top notch on it. It'll be fitted with Dynmat Extreme all over the place i.e. headliner,trunk,under carpet,door panels,hood and anywhere else you can place it. I'll also be putting a remote start / keyless entry in it too so I'll need to know a good place for one of those later on also. I've thought of an ingenious way to pay for the payment. Say the car payment is $200 a month take that and multiply it by 12 (12 months in a year) and take that number and put that much in a seperate bank account. When the vehicle payment is due write a check out of that bank account and you wont have to come out of the pocket for your car payment. Not bad huh? And one more question about the rears. Do I leave the stock ones there or do I completely take them out and leave the holes there?

You completly take them out, and leave the holes there, with the srs in the front you will not need rear fill, the rears also hurt sound quality as mac mentioned. and you may want to bi amp your srs in the front just an idea. also takeing out the rear speakers will allow the bass to flow into the cab better.
    tyler birch

ht system
    denon avr-1907
    monitor 70 towers-polkaudio
    nakamichi bx -100 tape deck
    sony 5 disc cd/dvd player hdmi ready
    velodyne dps-12 subwoofer

Car audio

AMP: FUSION EN-AM8001 800 watts max 368 watts rms x 1 channel @ 2 ohms stable
    SUB: 12 INCH 1000W DVC VOLFENHAG 2 Ohm stable useable ohms 2-8ohms
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2008
    Doesnt matter. I just meant mount them on the A pillars. Whether theyre flush or surface mounted depends on your taste and application.

Point the cone of the sub to the tailights. Firing it into the cabin makes for a lot of cancellation and youll lose a lot of your bass. Throw your box in there facing into the cabin and listen to it. Now pop the trunk (best to do it in the middle of listening while your sitting in the car) and notice how much the bass increases. This is all the output youre losing.

Now fire it to the rear and listen for a few minutes then pop the trunk. Youll notice you gain very little if any output. Everything you gain with the trunk open is whats being canceled out with it closed and with the sub firing rearward, youll have the least amount of cancellation.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited May 2008
    Hey I've got an idea!

How 'bout getting some Polk stuff?
  • thumpin07
    edited May 2008
    phuz wrote: »
    Hey I've got an idea!

i would second that i will be running three alpine type r 12 inch dvc 2+2 ohm subs, polk/momo components for the front, all powerd by polk pa series amps
    tyler birch

ht system
    denon avr-1907

Car audio

• JoshParsons84
    edited May 2008
    phuz wrote: »
    Hey I've got an idea!

I am. I'm getting a pair of 6.5" SR and a 10" (possibly 2) SR sub. I'll be having 2 Alpine amps. Don't be an **** next time please. If you can't be nice leave the forum. :mad:
  • thumpin07
    edited May 2008
    i dont think he ment to be an **** that was just his opinion and youll love the sr series stuff
    tyler birch

ht system
    denon avr-1907

Car audio

• JoshParsons84
    edited May 2008
    Well then I apologize if there was no slander directed towards me. Anyways...when I get a Polk SR sub (10") and I get a box, Polk recommends 0.88 cubic feet. Would 0.98 be alright or would it be off? Woofersetc has one for $60
  • thumpin07
    edited May 2008
    Well then I apologize if there was no slander directed towards me. Anyways...when I get a Polk SR sub (10") and I get a box, Polk recommends 0.88 cubic feet. Would 0.98 be alright or would it be off? Woofersetc has one for $60

that is a recomendation, not a sepc saying u have to have this for it to work. So id say it would work with.98 but someone with more experience than i may be able to better help
    tyler birch

ht system
    denon avr-1907

Car audio

• JoshParsons84
    edited May 2008
    Cool. Thanx for everything y'all. Now if my damn money would hurry up and get here from my settlement I can take care of everything. And finally be happy with a car AND a system in it.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys quick question. Which sub do u think is more SQ oriented? The Polk SR 10" or the Boston SPG555?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2008
    I would go against an oval sub. Stick with the SR.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • thumpin07
    edited May 2008
    stick with the polk
    tyler birch

ht system
    denon avr-1907

Car audio

• JoshParsons84
    edited May 2008
    Hey I can get a 2000 Monte Carlo SS for cheaper on insurance. I think I like them better. Would the Polk SR6500 tweeter still sound good in the sail panel on this car? Would 2 10" be overkill and not blend seamlessly with the mids and highs? The subs will be paired with an Alpine PDX-1.1000 and the Alpine PDX-4.150 are gonna be with the comp. bi-amped.
  • thumpin07
    edited May 2008
    if your not wanting over kill id just go with one 10 inch in a sealed box properly powered, should dound fine. if you want louder go with two fo the tens.
    tyler birch

ht system
    denon avr-1907

Car audio

• Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited May 2008
    I dont know what your definition of overkill is. Just keep in mind, no matter what you have in the trunk you can always control its output. I would say go with two ten's if thats your interest. I dont think anyone could claim two tens as being overkill.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited May 2008
    Thanx I think that's what I'm gonna do. I think my lawyer (Danny Cline) is gonna get the check this week sometime, I'm hoping.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited May 2008
    Hey. I noticed that Polk had new amps out. Would their 4 channel sound any better than Alpine's? And what about their new mono. Any better than Alpine's mono? I was planning on getting Alpine amps until I seen Polk had new amps out?
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2008
    Depends on the model. The 150x4 Alpine would sound drastically different than a 50x4 Polk. Its all about the power.