polk SR104 box questions????

addikt
addikt Posts: 36
edited May 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey guys i need some help i have a 2002 holden vy ute which i have a fair system in and ive just recently baught a polk SR104 sub woofer to replace my treo ssi10 now my box is the issue ive uploaded some photos of my original box to which the back of the box needs to remain the same as to fit under the tub recess... and i cant make it too deep because it sits right behind the passenger seat ... any ways does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to get the specified box volume of .88 cubic foot???
Post edited by addikt on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2008
    You must be down under! Very cool! Australia kicks ****!

As for your question - Im not sure what youre asking. In order to get more interior volume, youll need to make the box bigger.

You can throw some pollyfill in there which will help and you could always mount the sub inverted if possible. That would free up a little airspace.

What is the box's volume now?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • addikt
    edited May 2008
    na i understand in order to get more volume i need a bigger box!!! but just chasing ideas on a box design more asthetics than anything else like i need to make it deeper but dont have that much room here is 1 idea i had see pic.... sort of build it out with f/g and passengers will have to get over having no leg room!!!

i also included some pics of my install so u get an idea of how little room there is so have a look at the images

ps how do i get pics to come up without havin them as attached thumb nails
  • addikt
    edited May 2008
    oh sorry its just under 1 cubic foot but not deep enough
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2008
    You have to hose a pic somewhere. Try tinypic.com. You can upload your pictures there and then post the link by using the "insert image" button on the quick reply box.

Nice work dude. Youve got skills. One thought, have you thought of replacing the center console? Build a custom console that will double as a sub box?
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • addikt
    edited May 2008
    thats a sweet idea but as im a competitor in measq mobile electronics aus sound quality im kinda trying to keep the sub as far away from the driver seat as i can so it doesnt sound too directional where it is now i run the sub out of fase efectivly sub base travels under the passenger seat reflects back off dash area so by the time it hits the driver seat its in fase and sounds like its coming from the front of cabin thats my theory and it seems to work
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2008
    You can make that work. A friend of mine won 2 world championships with his sub in his center console firing down in his Chevy pickup and another friend beat me in 06 for a world championship who also had a downfiring center console sub in a pickup. It has some challenges to keep the sub from localizing but it definitely can be done. Best of all, it frees up a lot of usable space.

• addikt
    edited May 2008
    is there any where in these forums to show your install ????
  • addikt
    edited May 2008
    ok so i spent today re doing my install and modified my box to fit my polk sr104 sub i also have changed my amp locations and i am still to move my polk sr6500 crosovers to the rear firewall either side if the amp

pics: in order of attachments!
    1 sub box extra depth ring
    2 amp/crossover rack
    3 sub box flush mount ring on
    4 rear wall with cap in
    5 sub box with sub in it still needs to be fibreglassed
    6 rear wall with cap in and sub in rough location
    my box size is 0.6754 cuft will this be ok i was trying to get 0.66 as ber specs but didnt happen!!!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2008
    Little too late now, but for a center console box, you could always have the sub firing towards the rear of the car to avoid localization, either way, kudos on the good work, thats an awesome looking rig you got there.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it