Tricky Excel problem...

MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
Anybody here a guru at excel? (And by guru, I mean guru... I'm fairly good at basic code and problems, but this one has me stumped.)

Riddle me this:

I want to be able to enter data (A 5-digit job number, 80227 for example) into a cell, and this would result in multiple other cells to auto fill with data from an outside worksheet. The worksheets are in a separate folder on my server and named under the same name as the project. (So if I entered 80227 as the data in A1, I would want A2, A3 and A4 to open spreadsheet 80227.xls on the server, locate the referenced cell/s, and insert the info from 80227.xls into them.)

I can easily reference the cells alone and have them input the data, but this is extremely time consuming since this spreadsheet has all the current jobs our company is working on. I currently am running a macro/VBA that automatically updates all linked spreadsheets without them having to be open, so that is not an issue.

Is what I am seeking to do possible with Excel? (Or do you know how to do it?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2008
    Dang...that's deep! :eek:
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2008
    MrNightly wrote: »
    Anybody here a guru at excel? (And by guru, I mean guru... I'm fairly good at basic code and problems, but this one has me stumped.)

Riddle me this:

I want to be able to enter data (A 5-digit job number, 80227 for example) into a cell, and this would result in multiple other cells to auto fill with data from an outside worksheet. The worksheets are in a separate folder on my server and named under the same name as the project. (So if I entered 80227 as the data in A1, I would want A2, A3 and A4 to open spreadsheet 80227.xls on the server, locate the referenced cell/s, and insert the info from 80227.xls into them.)

I can easily reference the cells alone and have them input the data, but this is extremely time consuming since this spreadsheet has all the current jobs our company is working on. I currently am running a macro/VBA that automatically updates all linked spreadsheets without them having to be open, so that is not an issue.

Is what I am seeking to do possible with Excel? (Or do you know how to do it?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I would think the only way you could do this is if excel supported hyperlinks in the formulas.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited April 2008
    I'm not an Excel guru, but can't you use VBA to open the file, get the range contents, and insert it into your spreadsheet? I'm sure you've tried that, but what obstacles did you run into?
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • GEBBY44
    GEBBY44 Posts: 939
    edited April 2008
    Like the last post said, I don't know if that's possible. However, I didn't listen as well in my OPIM classes as well as some people I know. I'll send it around to some people I know that are currently OPIM majors at my school, a few of which are insane with this stuff, and see if they know. I think one guy I know should know the answer, if it's even possible. And he'd better considering he's top of his class and going to work for $120,000 at Goldman next year. Little ****:(
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited April 2008
    You should be able to respond to a cell change event and use VBA to open a workbook file, read a range of cells, and set those cells into the current workbook.

In VBA you should be able to do something to the effect of:

set wb = workbookbook.open (filename)
    set ws = wb(0).worksheet(0)
    me.range(range) = ws(range)

Simplistic example, but something to that effect should work. Have you tried something like this and if so what road blocks are you hitting?
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2008
    I know, but I'm not telling.
    Sal Palooza
  • MrNightly
    edited April 2008
    GEBBY44 wrote: »
    Like the last post said, I don't know if that's possible. However, I didn't listen as well in my OPIM classes as well as some people I know. I'll send it around to some people I know that are currently OPIM majors at my school, a few of which are insane with this stuff, and see if they know. I think one guy I know should know the answer, if it's even possible. And he'd better considering he's top of his class and going to work for $120,000 at Goldman next year. Little ****:(

I'd appreciate that muchly! :D

I bought Excel 2007 Power Programming with VBA but considering it's 1100 pages long I haven't gotten through it all yet ;)

I can pull everything in just by linking to the separate spreadsheets via a path, but it's cumbersome. I'm not VBA genius, but I thought maybe some out there were.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• MrNightly
    edited April 2008
    tcrossma wrote: »
    You should be able to respond to a cell change event and use VBA to open a workbook file, read a range of cells, and set those cells into the current workbook.

In VBA you should be able to do something to the effect of:

set wb = workbookbook.open (filename)
    set ws = wb(0).worksheet(0)
    me.range(range) = ws(range)

Simplistic example, but something to that effect should work. Have you tried something like this and if so what road blocks are you hitting?

No I haven't tried anything like this yet... I am not the guru at programming VBA yet ;) Hence asking a bunch of audio geeks what their thoughts are on it. Ha. (Kidding)

But seriously, most of the VBA programming I've done to this workbook is copy and paste from the pro's with minor tweeking from myself. I really need to get my learn on for this power programming stuff.

The only problem I see with your example above, IMO, is I will have well over 50 external worksheets being referenced in the master file. The external worksheets are the actually worksheets for each project with sales totals, margins, profit, costs etc etc... and I need their summary page to all be linked into my profit worksheet which reflects the entire jobs at a glance for the sales executives. Did any of that make sense?

:) I'll keep trying stuff... and reading. The answer is out there somewhere.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2008
    It is possible and I do have some examples but their all back on the main network at the office. When I get back, I'll send you some sample code that did a similar thing.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • MrNightly
    edited April 2008
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    It is possible and I do have some examples but their all back on the main network at the office. When I get back, I'll send you some sample code that did a similar thing.

Most Excellent!!! PM on the way so you can send it to my blackberry!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, but I won't be back in the office until Tuesday. Hit me with the PM then....

The code I'm thinking of would read all excel files from a directory and it's subs, open each one in turn and import a selected range into Access (Although into excel would be easier). This script should only be maybe 15 lines (I think....)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin