Turntable Isolation Sand Box

Options
MillerLiteScott
MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
edited May 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I built a sand box isolation table for my turntable and I finally installed it today. It has a 3/4" MDF base with 3/4" X 5" high oak sides. I painted it black to match my speakers. the box itself weighs @ 15-20 lbs and I added 50 lbs of Home Depot play sand which I dried in the oven. ( Pretty low on the WAF factor).

It has definitely added some weight to the music and I heard some bass that I have never heard before.

I have ordered a piece of 18"X 18" black galaxy granite to sit my table on but I am using the piece of slate I had till it arrives.

Definitely a positive DIY tweak.

Scott
I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
Post edited by MillerLiteScott on

Comments

• analog97
    analog97 Posts: 328
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Wow!! I think that is a great idea. That amount of sand will really be effective for your purpose. Just be careful not to mix sand and vinyl!! That would be a lethal combination.:D:D
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Damn, don't know how I missed this thread. Looks real good. I'm curious to hear your thoughts after you get the granite for it.

I was hoping you didn't get sand yet, I've got about half a Bobcat scoop of mason's sand sitting in my yard at the moment.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2008
    Options
    That looks cool Scott, now make one big enough to wrestle in and its ON!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Thanks Ben but the sand only set me back about $3.50.

Mark I thought you were more of a Jello wrestling type guy. Or was it puddin':eek:

I am very pleased with the results of this sand box. If I tap my finger on the side of the sand box you can barely here it, before it was a very load sound if I tapped my finger on the shelf. In addition to the additional weight and power to the music I noticed quite a bit more seperation in instruments and layering of vocals.

A nice tweak in my book.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Sounds like a TNT Sandblaster. I've made sandblasters for cdps, my Gallos, and my loveseat all with good effect.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Like I said on the phone, you've got a lot of faith in those supports. ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,405
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Damn, no doubt. Cool though. I might have to give this one a whirl. I'm not pleased with where mine is currently at which is on the top shelf of a metal stand sitting on glass with some Sorbothane risers. When the wife does laundry, I can't spin vinyl. [LR is behind the stand]
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Certainly looks stable and a great solid isolation base, but I vote that it can only be used in a "cat free" home.
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Definitely no cats here.
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited May 2008
    Options
    My latest addition of an 18x18 Black Galaxy granite tile. It fills the box up better than the piece of slate I had and looks a lot better.

I have @ 70lbs od sand in the box and you can wrap your fingers on the box while it is playing and it is barely audible.

I am going to mount the box on some better wall brackets over the weekend. Jesse scared me.:D

Scott
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2008
    Options
    this would so not go over well in my house. my cat would use it as her litterbox :eek: :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited May 2008
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    this would so not go over well in my house. my cat would use it as her litterbox :eek: :p

Haha....yeah, we saw what Sal's cat did to his radiator...imagine if it had a go at this :)
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited May 2008
    Options
    That's a nice piece of stone, looks really good. One of these days I'll have to post my shelf, you've been bringing your "A" game lately.:D
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited May 2008
    Options
    When I put my new piece of granite in the box I also added about 20 more pounds of sand to raise the level to get the TT to sit up higher above the box. The additional weight of the sand and the tile made my HD sourced mounting system seem a bit wambly.

So I mounted my isolation sand box utilizing another Home Depot sourced wall/shelf brackets that Strider showed me one day when we ran into each other at HD. Thanks Ben.

Over the weekend I found that at volume levels slightly above my normal listening level I was getting some resonance. I believed it was from the stock aluminum cones under my TT against the granite tile. I then went digging for some of those little round metal discs with the indent in them for the point of a cone to sit it. While digging I found some self addhesive foam pads to stick on the bottom of the round discs. I thought perfect. I stuck them on the discs, put them under the TT cone feet and cued up another LP and good bit of the life was sucked out of the music. I tried the little discs with out the foam and I still had the resonance. I then used some contact cement to stick some left over accoustiblok material that I had from a job. Accoustiblok is a dense rubber material. It seems to have done the trick. I am very pleased with the weight of the music and the detail the sand box, shelf, and granite tile have brought forward.

I was amazed at how the foam just sucked the life out of the music.

YMMV.

Scott