Jstas....and others..

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,527
edited May 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was looking at my antifreeze the other day -- it is kind of dirty looking...

So I want to flush my radiator and put in the new stuff...

I went on Advances website to their "know how to do it page"

And they mention putting a cleaner/water mixture in the radiator to clean it, let it run - then drain it again and put the antifreeze back in.

With this in mind, I want to know how to drain a 2004 F150 radiator... if its possible. I read about there being a "plug" you can pull to drain it, but I like to know more about the actual part before I start pulling anything.

Thanks
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2008
    Should be a plug, as you said, on the bottom inside of the radiator. Assuming the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap, remove the plug, drain. Flush and fill as desired. It's as easy as changing oil.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008
    I'm not familiar with Ford, but on GM vehicles, the plug isn't removed. The plug, actually called a draincock, is turned, allowing the fluid to drain from the bottom of the radiator. After you refill the tank, you're going to have to bleed it for air.

If I were you, I would do some more research or have a shop do it.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2008
    Well, I've never heard it called a draincock. I think the correct term is petcock. But yes, it should have one of those. They operate a little funny. If you tighten the wingnut all the way down, that is all the way open. If you loosen it all the up, that is all the way closed.

As far as running a detergent of some sort through, never really heard of that unless it is hooked up to one of those recycler machines that the dealerships have. I personally don't care for them because the coolant breaks down chemically over time and the recyclers cannot restore the fluid. I would drain it and fill it with new stuff. Make sure you recycle the old coolant.

Personally though, I've never run a detergent through. I just flush the system with clean water. It can even be from a hose. That's easy enough to do. But the problem is that if you are going to do a full cooling system flush, you can't just run the radiator dry and such. It's a little more involved. If you have a manual that tells you how to do it, read up on it because it's really not as simple as draining and refilling the radiator.

If you are going to replace all the coolant though, go to the store and get yourself distiller water. If your cooling system takes 12 gallons of coolant, get 6 gallons of the coolant you need, not pre-mixed stuff either. Then get 6 gallons of distilled water. Distilled water lacks minerals and such. The problem with minerals in the water is that they can turn your cooling system into a battery. If you have an iron block and aluminum intake and heads, it essentially makes the aluminum the sacrificial metal in the battery and it will rot much, much faster. In fact, alot of Chevy guys have filler neck problems because of the cooling system acting like a battery and rotting out the welds and causing leaks. If you use distilled water, you will reduce that problem.

I also like to add Redline's Water Wetter. It is a surface tension reducer and it improved the efficiency of your coolant be reducing surface tension. It gives the water the ability to contact more of the surface of the cooling passages through out the cooling system. If you increase the surface area being contacted, more of the coolant get draw away more of the heat and that's a good thing. It aids in heat transfer. I use it in my cooling system and my intercooler and I've seen as much as a 10 degree drop, especially on really hot days.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2008
    Just for the record, Id like to second the Water Wetter recommendation.

I had a Suzuki Samurai for several years which is a great test bench since it only has 66 horsepower so you notice every little increase. Because it was so weak, you had to basically ride with the gas on the floor when driving the interstate which naturally cause it to run pretty hot. I used the Water Wetter and it reduced the temp by a good bit. Switching to Mobil 1 dropped it even further.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    edited April 2008
    I am going to take it to the dealer, only because I want to get alot of stuff looked over and done if nessicary.

Here is the list I have compiled I wanted done...

1) Spark plugs and wires
    2) transmission fluid changed (full change, not just a pan drop)
    3) radiator/coolant system drained
    4) fuel filter
    5) timing belt changed/inspected
    6) Brakes inspected

I want to get all of this looked at first obviously to make sure it needs to be done, but I want to get on a regular maintence schedule with my truck.

The dealership quoted me 600 bucks for all of that -- which sounded reasonable. Then I called a local shop and they quoted me alot less. So I will probally call them back Monday to get an actual quote from them.

Just curious if there is anything else I should add to the list.

Thanks

For those of you curious why I want all that done. My truck has 113,000 miles on it and want to make sure its up to speed for the next leg. And I want to start doing some of this stuff on a regular basis.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2008
    I would stick with the dealer dude. I know local shops can be good and a lot cheaper, but dealers generally have better trained and better paid techs working there and think of it this way - at the local shop, you might have the first Ford truck that guy has seen in 6 months. At the dealership, you might be the 6th truck he's worked on that week. Having techs that are familiar inside and out with your ride goes a long way to ensure a job well done.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited April 2008
    i think 80,000 miles its recommended to replace all houses... have u done that? may be something u want to look into..... and im going to say this.... jstas... ur post impressed me... a lot. lol woah
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited April 2008
    Trey,

600 bucks sounds VERY reasonable for a job like that, we get a tune-up every 30,000 miles and it consists of what you mentioned above plus the in-cabin microfilter, alignment, and a few other small things...and the dealer charges WAY more than 600 bucks.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I had a Suzuki Samurai for several years which is a great test bench since it only has 66 horsepower
    :eek: :confused::confused: :eek: 66 horsepower :eek:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2008
    I am going to take it to the dealer, only because I want to get alot of stuff looked over and done if nessicary.

Here is the list I have compiled I wanted done...

1) Spark plugs and wires
    2) transmission fluid changed (full change, not just a pan drop)
    3) radiator/coolant system drained
    4) fuel filter
    5) timing belt changed/inspected
    6) Brakes inspected

I want to get all of this looked at first obviously to make sure it needs to be done, but I want to get on a regular maintence schedule with my truck.

The dealership quoted me 600 bucks for all of that -- which sounded reasonable. Then I called a local shop and they quoted me alot less. So I will probally call them back Monday to get an actual quote from them.

Just curious if there is anything else I should add to the list.

Thanks

For those of you curious why I want all that done. My truck has 113,000 miles on it and want to make sure its up to speed for the next leg. And I want to start doing some of this stuff on a regular basis.

That's a good price to do all of that. Go for it. You should get on a maintenance regimen, your truck will last you a long time.

I would add the PCV and air filters. Have them inspect the hoses, too. Not just the cooling, but the vacuum lines.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited April 2008
    Hope you wallet is fat if you have all that done at the dealer at once...... timming belts change can run 300- 400 and higher on some models. You have to do it . I do 90 percent of all my work to date Allthough Im not touching our mazda 6 08 model. Ive done al the major fluid changes on my dodge ram 1500. Nice and roomy to work on though.

That many mile the truck probably needs new brakes not inspected though. 600 for all that is too bad in the scope things but paying for a brake inspection is like throwing money away too me Take front tire off and look at the inside pad ..... its that easy ...especially on a truck
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited April 2008
    Trey - is your truck a 4x4? We purchased an 01 tahoe LT 4x4 last summer with 112,000 miles on it. (yes, it is still running great..) anyway - this is what I have had done to it to date....

originally - inspected by dealer (output shaft seal was replaced, made aware of brake replacement need that I will perform myself, made aware of belt replacement needed that will be done Monday)

Since:
    • Oil changes (of course)
    • air filter replaced
    • cabin air filter replaced (don't think original owner knew there was one - cuz it was clogged full - usually replace when engine air filter is replaced)
    • Transfer case fluid replaced (this was apparently never done by original owner either - glad I did it)
    • Brake fluid replaced (done at a local shop - like to replace every 5 years or so)
    • Power steering fluid replaced (lubes the power steering pump - like to replace every 3 years or so)
    • front and rear differential fluid replaced with synthetic - supposed to replace every 60k in the tahoe - don't know if it has ever been done or not before my doing it.
    • Coolant replaced. (letting local shop do it for me - way messy to try and do in my driveway)
    • Transmisison fluid was replaced about 30k miles ago (based on service records that I got from the dealer) Will check and see how often it is supposed to be replaced and will do when neccesary.
    • Having a local shop inspect\replace the drive belts (in for service now)

All I have left is needs tires and brakes later this year. (if I missed anything please point it out) Anyway - standard maint. is WAY cheaper than a payment for a new truck. Local service or dealer, stay up on the maint. and you will be in good shape for the long haul....

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • McLoki
    edited April 2008
    Also just to make sure you were aware of it the my ford site is really nice and well worth signing up for.

You put in your vehicle vin and all work you have had done since you owned the vehicle (no past history unfortunately) at a local dealer is automatically entered. (plus you can add your own maint history items) It makes it much easier to stay on top of maint. items.

Also there are online owners manuals, ford recommended service intervals (as opposed to dealer recommended), mileage trackers, and what service should have been performed at your last service time and what to expect at the next one.

Give it a shot if you have not yet.

Michael
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
  • VR3
    edited April 2008
    1) Cabin air filter
    2) Transfer case fluid
    3) Brake fluid replaced
    4) Power steering fluid replaced
    5) Front and rear differential fluid replaced
    6) Spark plugs and wires
    7) Transmission fluid changed (full change, not just a pan drop)
    8) Radiator/coolant system drained
    9) Fuel filter
    10) Timing belt changed/inspected
    11) Brakes inspected
    12) PCV Valve
    13) Cooling and Vaccume Hoses - Replace
    14) Inspect CV Joints

The dealer said it was only around 150 bucks to change the belt on my truck. So thats cool.

This is the list I have compiled for the dealer to do.
  • McLoki
    edited April 2008
    cabin air filter is only if your vehicle has one (not all do). May be much cheaper to replace yourself.

transfer casw fluid and front diff fluid are only if you have a 4x4.

other than that looks pretty comprehensive. May be worth an inspection while they are in there to check trans seals, brakes, etc.

Michael
  • VR3
    edited April 2008
    Yeah mine is 4x4 - so definitely something to get done.
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2008
    So thats $600 + $150?

Still a great deal, since the dealership here charges around $780 for the same job and that's not even a 4X4 (no transfer case fluid, rear diff fluid, propeller shaft, etc.)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited April 2008
    Trey,

A friend of mine told me that it may be risky to get the transmission fluid changed fully (that is, a full flush) on a high mileage transmission.

Although I'm not sure if this is correct, I think it's because the flush may cause particles to move around and clog other parts of the transmission? Well, at least that's what I understood.

He said its better to do just a drain/fill a few times, if everything works out fine then do the full flush a while later.

I may be wrong though?? Can someone correct me if I'm wrong...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2008
    Just a thought...

You could always replace the belt yourself, and probably save about $120. Go to Advance and get a Goodyear "Gatorback" belt, they will run about $30. Check to see If there is a belt diagram, or draw the belt diagram down(you can always google it). Release the belt tension pulley and pull the old belt off, follow the diagram and apply the belt to the tension pulley last. Pretty simple to change, can be done in about 15 minutes tops... depending on how mechanically inclined you are.;)
  • VR3
    edited April 2008
    Im pretty mechanically inclined --

But there are some things I refuse to do... simply because this is a very nice vehicle... and I plan to drive it a while as long as gas dosnt go to like 8 dollars a gallon lol...

I change my oil, air filter, keep my fluids topped and keep an eye on levels...

Im very strict on oil changes, every 3,000 miles within 20 miles - air filter at 10,000

Other than that... ya know! lol
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2008
    Have you considered using synthetic oil? Supposedly its better for your engine.

But yeah, about that tranny fluid change...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• VR3
    edited April 2008
    Just wanted to report back --

I took it to the dealer

Out of my list --

) Cabin air filter - Truck dosnt have it
    2) Transfer case fluid - Replaced
    3) Brake fluid replaced - Inspected
    4) Power steering fluid replaced - Replaced
    5) Front and rear differential fluid replaced - Replaced
    6) Spark plugs and wires - SP were replaced, wires are not replaced on my truck because it uses coil packs
    7) Transmission fluid changed - Pan drop
    8) Radiator/coolant system drained - Replaced
    9) Fuel filter - Replaced
    10) Timing belt changed/inspected - Truck uses a timing chain, no need
    11) Brakes inspected - Inspected
    12) PCV Valve - replaced
    13) Cooling and Vaccume Hoses - Inspected
    14) Inspect CV Joints - Inspected

For all of that, and prompt service, and what looks to be a solid job -- 880 bucks. I am happy.
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2008
    That's a very good deal...considering that your truck is a 4X4 - more work involved, more fluids, etc.

Do you have to replace the coil packs? I thought they had to be replaced too...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• VR3
    edited April 2008
    110 bucks a coil pack... so no hurry to replace 8 of those ;)
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2008
    Uhm, we had one coil pack fail right at 60,000 miles...

I thought they had to be replaced as part of maintenance???
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008
    Coil packs are only replaced when they go bad. I've had coil packs last over 150,000 miles.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    edited April 2008
    Question for the experts...

If my truck did ok with just a pan drop - does that mean its ok next time (30,000 miles) for a complete cycle?
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2008
    I'm no expert, but I'd think you would be okay. I'd also ask the dealer though, see what they say. From what I've heard though, on a high-mileage transmission, flushing the fluid might cause particles to come off certain spots and clog other places that are crucial to normal operation. But if you just did a pan drop and there are no problems, I'd think a full flush would be okay.

Can Jstas or someone else chime in here?

P.S. we did the full flush at 33,000 miles but this time around (66,000 miles) only a pan drop. This time the mechanic chose to just do a pan drop...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2008
    Question for the experts...

If my truck did ok with just a pan drop - does that mean its ok next time (30,000 miles) for a complete cycle?

Pan drop? I'm not sure what you are asking.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2008
    Pan drop... as in just doing a pan drop of the transmission to drain the fluid. I would personally just keep doing the pan drops between 20-30k miles, also changing the filter. As long as you keep up with the basic pan drop on a tranny/filter, I believe there is no need for a complete flush.