shipping to Canada?

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
All,

I've got a guy in Canada who wants to buy my Quads.....for our friends in the great white north, any tips as far as better carriers? What sort of paperwork is required??

Thanks,

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited April 2008
    USPS is usually the best, but I have only shipped smaller items. Many times FedEx and USPS tack on a flat rate fee plus additional charge, USPS doesn't seem to do this.

Throw the important info into FedEx/UPS/DHL/USPS's respective websites and see what comes out.

With USPS ( I assume with all of them) you are going to need to fill out a lengthy customs form, and there doesn't seem to be any way to track the package once it hits Canada.
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited April 2008
    USPS is the best.
  • Jer.War
    Jer.War Posts: 180
    edited April 2008
    I have had the best luck with USPS as well, but there is that drawback of no tracking. The only downside to using FedEx or the like is they charge a 20-50 dollar handling/brokerage fee to process the parcel information. I am usually on the receiving end of this charge and when it is a suprise it really blows. Just ask the buyer if he wants to be able to track the packages progress, or not. USPS still has insurance and is obligated to deliver the package, but you just can't watch it go from depot to depot. I am lucky to live within 40 minutes of the US border so I have the option of driving down and grabbing it myself (saves quite a bit on shipping). Either way, insurance is highly recommended.

[The Ever-Evolving System

LSI15's (PNF Symphony cabels, modded X-Over and subs), LSIC, LSI7's, Rega Apollo CDP (PNF ICON ICs, modified PS cct.), Yamaha RXV-1700 w/ ipod dock, B&K REF200.2 (fronts) Samsung BDP-1600, XBOX360, Patriot Box Office Media Player, 42" Samsung LCD.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited April 2008
    I don't think that the USPS will ship something as big as a Quad.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited April 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    I don't think that the USPS will ship something as big as a Quad.

How big is it?

I have shipped some pretty big stuff through USPS.

I shipped a Sunfire TGP II to Germany through USPS. It was doubled boxed. I don't remember the dimensions but it was big.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2008
    USPS is by far the best. I have received many, many items (including quite large ones) from the USA WITH tracking numbers. I believe that the weight goes up to 66 lbs. All of the info is available of the USPS web site.
    Shipping to Canada
    Good luck Troy.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2008
    troy,

usps has some goofy rule about the overall cubic inches of the package as well as the weight, I cant remember what the hell it is though, but then I am old and barely found my damm sock draw this morning.

RT1
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited April 2008
    USPS won't ship quads....>I highly doubt it anyway.

Might have to go freight.....
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2008
    No, I think the boxes are small enough, they are, IIRC, 30x10x42 and weigh 50lbs boxed. Something like that.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BaggedLancer
    edited April 2008
    TroyD wrote: »
    No, I think the boxes are small enough, they are, IIRC, 30x10x42 and weigh 50lbs boxed. Something like that.

BDT

Sounds like it might work USPS then. Try DHL next. Leave Fedex and UPS last.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2008
    Yes they will ship that. The web site will give you a good estimate as well.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • BaggedLancer
    edited April 2008
    fwiw, i'd trust DHL over USPS anyday with packages like that.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited April 2008
    TroyD wrote: »

BDT

Troy, that size box is too big for shipment to Canada by USPS. The size limit for international shipments is different that domestic packages and it varies by country. For Canada, the max size is girth+length not to exceed 108 inches. Yours works out to 122 inches.

I think its going to be very expensive to ship those speakers to Canada because by any other method, the buyer will have to pay duty, tax, and a brokerage fee.

The lack of a brokerage fee is why most people in Canada prefer to get their items shipped by USPS/Canada Post.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/ce_003.htm

216.5 Size Limits

216.52 Maximum Size
    Length and girth combined may not exceed 108 inches. Individual dimensions may not exceed 46 inches in length, 35 inches in width, and 46 inches in height.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,448
    edited April 2008
    Just chainsaw them into 4 pieces, problem of shipping via USPS solved.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2008
    drive and hand deliver them suckers :eek: :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited April 2008
    I've had good dealings with Fed-Ex. Just never use UPS to Canada. Outrageous brokerage fees, long delays and expensive. USPS is my favorite to the great white north.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's