My $3000 + score! [non audio]

cubdog
cubdog Posts: 835
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
I went to a garage sale this morning looking for LPs. My wife spotted an interesting painting. Small measuring about 14 in. square. I used to be in the art business when we lived in Denver so I new it was something nice. The lady running the sale told us there were two more. I bought the three for $15. I came home and started researching. The artist name is Dee Wolff and she is based out of Texas. I talked to a couple of gallery owners, one of whom is showing her work. She told me that the paintings are worth "a few thousand dollars". I'm going to email her pictues to get a more accurate appraisal. And I got 4 lps for $2.

cubdog
Shuguang Classic S8MK
Emotiva XDA-2
Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
Bel Canto DAC 1.5
Squeezebox Touch
Sony SS-M7
A/D/S L710
Post edited by cubdog on

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2008
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2008
    eh, spot the seller an extra $50.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    There's also an auction house in Bloomington IL that deals in art work. You can search the IL auction sites and find it, I believe it's Joy Luke or something like that. A friend that deals in antiques has gotten top dollar through them for several paintings she has found at other auctions and garage sales. The commission is pretty steep, but she felt it still worked out for more money for her.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2008
    You lucky SOB ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    And I would keep it on the DL! Several instances in the last few years of sellers not realizing what they had, and when they saw the buyer get big $'s for it they have taken legal action. In several of these the seller has won and gotten a piece of the buyers profits. Welcome to the entitlement generation!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • cubdog
    edited April 2008
    I won't be selling them. We have 100 or so pieces in our collection. We've been buying art since the 80s.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited April 2008
    cubdog wrote: »
    I won't be selling them. We have 100 or so pieces in our collection. We've been buying art since the 80s.

cubdog

I haven't been buying Art but I got a huge collection of Bills! I'm thinking of starting to collects Bobs and Daves though because I'm told they are cheaper than Bills.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited April 2008
    I love garage sales for this reason exactly!
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited April 2008
    Sounds just like what happened to me last summer. Hit a group yard sale right as it was about to open and saw an interesting old landscape 20"x24" oil painting, without a frame, leaning against the leg of a card table. Picked it up and realized it was fairly "vintage" and well done. Asked the lady what she wanted and she shrugged and said "a dollar". A buddy who also yard sales was standing next to me and he said "hell I'll give you two" so I joked along and gave her two dollars.

The artist is Margaret J. Patterson who is a listed american artist from the early 1900's. It cost me $1,100 to have it cleaned and re-lined. It is now hanging over my living room mantle. Local art dealer very familiar with her work valued it at $8,000-10,000.

Sometimes yard sales do pan out. Bought a mint pool cue stick today with a lined hard case for $10. Should be worth about $250 -$350.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2008
    nice deal on those LP's :p

you bargain hunter you.. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • cubdog
    edited April 2008
    danger boy wrote: »
    nice deal on those LP's :p

you bargain hunter you.. ;)

Thanks, I'd have been happy with just the music anyway.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited April 2008
    I hate people like you!:D
    I hate hearing those 'barn' stories: "So I go to this estate sale and take a look in the barn, and under this tarp, I find a '67 Shelby Cobra. I ask the old lady what she wants for it, and she says $50.00- HA!!!"
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited April 2008
    Got my RTA-8T speakers that way. $10 at a garage sale.

SCORE!!!
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,067
    edited April 2008
    Time to hit the nearest Antiques Roadshow!

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050