Earthquake, right here in River City.

mrbigbluelight
mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
Okay, maybe not River City.

And maybe not, technically, an earthquake.

But .... dam nice tremor if I say so myself.

Sure got the crickets stirred up outside. My computer monitor is still swaying.

Well ..... that's my fun for the day; life here in the Midwest on the New Madrid fault line can be entertaining at times.
Sal Palooza
Post edited by mrbigbluelight on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2008
    Wow...I felt it right here in Cincinnati....10-15 minutes ago. lasted at least 45 seconds.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2008
    I will take hurricanes over that any day!:eek:
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2008

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2008
    I will take hurricanes over that any day!:eek:

:mad:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited April 2008
    I didn't feel this one. There was one in Central Illinois about 5-6 years ago and I remember hearing my walls make a small creaking noise and the bed "rippled" for lack of a better term. It actually woke me up.

I slept right through this one. This one appears it's a bit farther away. I'm in the North East part of the state about 20 miles south of the Wisconsin border.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited April 2008
    It woke me up. I lived in the Bay area for a number of years so I knew what was going on right away.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2008
    According to the Wife, at around 4:30 this morning, the earthquake shook the living heck out of our house in Bloomington. At first she thought she was hallucinating...
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    cubdog wrote: »
    It woke me up. I lived in the Bay area for a number of years so I knew what was going on right away.

cubdog

Interesting; Oregon isn't that far away from me. I was actually through that area earlier in the week on business. Used to date a girl that lived on the Silver Ridge Golf course when it was still a 9 hole course.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    According to the Wife, at around 4:30 this morning, the earthquake shook the living heck out of our house in Bloomington. At first she thought she was hallucinating...

Mike, everything make it through unscathed? It's a weird feeling if one has never felt an earthquake before
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Mike, everything make it through unscathed? It's a weird feeling if one has never felt an earthquake before

Wife is doing fine, however, the structure of the house might be in question. I won't be home till the 28th, we'll see...

I don't even know If my homeowners insurance would cover something like that, don't even think we have the coverage?
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2008
    Good luck Mike! Hope all is ok with the home. Gotta be some scary stuff when that happens.
    No excuses!
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2008
    Wife is doing fine, however, the structure of the house might be in question. I won't be home till the 28th, we'll see...

I don't even know If my homeowners insurance would cover something like that, don't even think we have the coverage?

Based on the magnitude there shouldn't really be any kind of structural damage. Hopefully I'm not wrong and your house is ok.

SOPA
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Based on the magnitude there shouldn't really be any kind of structural damage. Hopefully I'm not wrong and your house is ok.

Based on what I've heard on the news I agree. Even close to the epicenter no one is reporting any serious damage. Certainly check it out when you get back, but no need to worry too much while your away.

Glad the wife and kids are alright.

H9
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2008
    I just heard about this a few minutes ago. Apparently some people here in Des Moines (450mi away) said they felt things shake for about 5 seconds.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2008
    Glad everyone is ok.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited April 2008
    I'm with H9 and didn't feel a thing. I'm sure all is good on the home front, Mike.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited April 2008

First of all, hope everything is well.

Regarding damages to your house from an earthquake, check your homeowner's insurance policy. Earthquake is considered "earth movement" and those are generally not covered. There're separate insurance policy one can buy for earthquake, but most don't bother to buy them. An headline article in last month's San Francisco Chronicle had this disturbing fact....95% of San Francisco Bay Area homes don't have earthquake insurance.

BTW, today is the 102nd anniversary of the great 1906 San Francisco earthquake. Yes, there are still survivors alive and they attend a ceremony each year @ 5:12AM to mark that occasion.
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2008
    Danny Tse wrote: »

BTW, today is the 102nd anniversary of the great 1906 San Francisco earthquake. Yes, there are still survivors alive and they attend a ceremony each year @ 5:12AM to mark that occasion.

Really? How many 102+ years old can be still around?

SOPA
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2008
    My mom, who lives about 30 minutes away from Des Moines, said it woke her up. She thought it was the storm shaking the house. I slept through it, but then again, in my old apartment complex, I slept through the building next to mine burned to the ground and all the fire trucks coming through. ;)
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2008
    Well ..... just had a nice little aftershock.

Shake, rattle, and roll !!

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    I didn't feel anything in Belvidere, however about the time the news says it happened my cat freaked out and woke me up! She did that when the 2003 quake rumbled northern IL. We had some sirens going off in town about that time also.

I hope everyone closer to the quake is alright!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • tom t
    tom t Posts: 543
    edited April 2008
    and now the important question??? did the stereo system survive. if so, everything else can be rebuilt
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited April 2008
    tom t wrote: »
    and now the important question??? did the stereo system survive. if so, everything else can be rebuilt

Which is why component isolation is very important ;):D
    Ricardo wrote:
    Really? How many 102+ years old can be still around?

According to this online San Francisco Chronicle article on this morning's 102nd anniversary of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. there were a dozen of survivors as of 2 years ago.
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2008
    Danny Tse wrote: »

Words of the survivor present in today's "celebration":

"We don't have an earthquake every day," he said this morning. "So we have to celebrate the one we had. It was a beautiful earthquake."

SOPA
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    Anything that would level most of San Francisco, Club Polk members excluded, would be a beautiful thing :rolleyes:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited April 2008
    I'm sorry but i had a few beers last night and just happened to turn up my preamp past 1 o clock. This is what happens when you crank up 4 srt subs all the way :o.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited April 2008
    I live right by Louisville KY, and we felt it for about 5 seconds this moring also.
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited April 2008
    We live near O'hare airport. We were awakened by our bulldog about 4:15 this morning and we literally thought he was having some sort of seizure. He was pacing our room with his head straight up, snuffling and panting. We couldn't calm him and then the house bumped hard and shook . It woke up our daughter who thought our bulldog Bubba was trying to push her door open. When she opened it she heard us in our room and We all thought for a moment that something terrible might have happened at the airport..... thank God it wasn't that.
    All of the birds in the neighborhood were making a lot of noise too. Strange that animals are so affected.
    Fortunately it sounds as though everyone in the area is OK and no tragedies to listen to ad nauseum on the news.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited April 2008
    No one in our house heard, felt or noticed a thing... (2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 bird, 2 adults and 2 kids.)

Everyone just slept through it. In-laws live about 3 miles from us and it woke them up and they both thought it was dramatic....

Oh well - maybe next time.

Michael

FYI - I am in the Peoria area (pretty much center of the state - 3 hours to Chicago or St. Louis.)
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited April 2008
    Wow, I have lots of neighbors here.

I'm in the Joliet area for work right now, and I think it woke me up. (not sure, I fell right back out):confused:

The mrs. slept through it too.