FS: ADCOM GFA-555 Amplifier

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,577
ADCOM GFA-555 Amplifier - 9/10 - Black - *SOLD* to Lukdev

I have 3 of these rack style Adcom but the other two are still in use right now. I'm messing around with placement and a new HT rig at the moment. I'd never even seen a rack style Adcom until I picked up this batch and I have to say, THIS is how they should look. It's flat faced with SUMO style handles on the front that just exude sex....with handles.

Adcom makes solid gear based on a simple plan, reliability and performance. Big **** capacitors, big **** toroid....what else do you need?

The faceplate is flawless, interior is mint and a scratch on the top plate has been touched up. It's 4ohm stable and ready to drive whatever you want to throw at it, including ANY SDA created by our savior, Matt Polk. This amplifier is akin to the Monitor 10, as it was the ballbuster of the lineup and what put Adcom on the map for alot of folks.

Here's some simple specifications:

200wpc@8ohms
325wpc@4ohms
600wpc@8ohms(Bridged Mono)

19" Wide x 7" High, Faceplate

It's been polished up, connections treated with CAIG Pro-Gold and it's packed to withstand an atomic blast.

I also have some photocopied historical documents, about the GFA-555, that I'll include in the sale. It's just cool information and a couple reviews. You might not care but I like to know about my gears' lineage. I like to collect vintage literature....and ****.

Stereophile Review 1985 - Check out the later reviews at the bottom in 1989 and 1990 by John Atkinson. This is a very nice amplifier.

Includes: Original user manual.

CS014555AFGA
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2008
    Mark,

How wide is that amp? I want to send a link to a friend that's been looking. It may be too wide to sit in his stand. What's the height while you at it.
    Carl

• dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    Carl - I'll hobble down and measure it, as I think the dimensions are for the shelf version.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008
    That has a nice industrial look to it.

Since it's a rack mount unit, the body should be about 17" wide, the face up to 19" wide.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    Carl - Face hit on the "duh" for me personally....it's standard rack mount width @ 19". The height is 7".
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    You can use your economic tax stimilus at Crazy Doro's since he's not affiliated with any party :)
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited April 2008
    How is this still here? It even meets Cathy's stringent guideline........
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    I used a cellphone to alow CFrizz's soothing voice to wash over my amplifiers insides, thus increasing overall output to the 1kw range. She's magical.
  • nonobaddog
    nonobaddog Posts: 10
    edited April 2008
    Where is this amp located?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited April 2008
    nonobaddog wrote: »

At doro's house
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited April 2008
    I'll tell ya what,I'll trade you for my 545 and I'll even throw in a six pack of your choice.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited April 2008
    daboyz wrote: »
    I'll tell ya what,I'll trade you for my 545 and I'll even throw in a six pack of your choice.

Nah........keep the 545 I personally think it has slight edge over the 555 :)
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    nonobaddog wrote: »

Maryland.

Beer? Did someone say beer?!
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    I'll include shipping to CONUS if that wets your whistle for some nice power. I have an Adcom 5CH amplifier going up in awhile.....
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,830
    edited April 2008
    Damn, how is this still here? (always wanted to say that :o)

Rock solid beast of an amp, great deal.

If I didn't already have one, I'd have this one.

:confused:
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    This is a bad time to sell gear and the nature of the beast.

If someone wants to talk about a deal....let's chat.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2008
    We lost some data.....SOLD to some crazy Canuck!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    We lost some data...

That is a unique way to describe YOUR afflictions. "He lost some data" folks. Well, that explains everything doesn't it?

I hope you get your data back someday.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2008
    The blaming of others is the usual course of action around here....just trying to be normal.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2008
    It looks as if some crazy Canadian has picked this up. Thanks Shawn :)
  • lukdev
    lukdev Posts: 5
    edited May 2008
    hopefully I don't stress this amp too much and melt my igloo Eh...lol

Denon 3808CI
    ADCOM GFA-555
    POLK RTI A7
    POLK CSI A6
    POLK FXI A4
    POLK PSW 505
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2008
    Welcome to Club Polk Lukdev!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2008
    Shawn - The PayPal is still being processed, looks like the 12th from the notation, and I just wanted to let you know all is well. When that gets solid, we'll get this thing headed up to you. Hang loose eh?
  • lukdev
    lukdev Posts: 5
    edited May 2008
    Perfect!!! Just finished cleaning up its new home.

Denon 3808CI
    ADCOM GFA-555
    POLK RTI A7
    POLK CSI A6
    POLK FXI A4
    POLK PSW 505