Computers: Pentium II vs. P4 vs. Dual Core

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
Really dumb question, but...

Since I'm without a laptop right now, I've been using my Pentium II 350 system at home and have a P4 system here (at school). I noticed that there isn't much of a difference in speed between the systems, especially between the P4 and the laptop.

Why is this? Is this a case of the manufacturer inflating specs? I really don't see THAT big of a difference between the systems, and my 2.0GHz laptop is nowhere near 7X faster than the PII.

I'd say its like 2-3 times faster, at most.
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    It all depends on what you're doing. Some things are negligibly faster; arguably most of the things we do on computers from day to day doesn't require much processing power, so a faster processor or memory doesn't make a lick of difference.

If you're running a lot of applications, starting a lot of LARGER applications, ripping CDs, playing games.... then you'd notice. Browsing the web and typing up papers? Not really.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2008
    You have a point. I spent most of my time on this PC typing up papers, and even with stuff like clipart, graphs, spell check, etc. the PII and P4 both handled it fine. My Physics lab (with many pages of graphs and data) also went smoothly on both systems.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited April 2008
    office only get soo fast ..... and thats about it. I could tell a difference going from my first pentium 2 350 too my P3 600 ....

Brousing the internet we still use an P3 800 on rdram and it runs games and all just fine. But you through a newer 3d game and its like watchn a cartoon frame by frame Horrid!
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2008
    I don't run games on any of my PCs, I use them mostly for work and thats about it. The one thing I noticed is, that the PII really chokes on anything with Flash, like YouTube for example. In that case its like 3-4 times slower than the other two PCs.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited April 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    I don't run games on any of my PCs, I use them mostly for work and thats about it. The one thing I noticed is, that the PII really chokes on anything with Flash, like YouTube for example. In that case its like 3-4 times slower than the other two PCs.

IIRC, there's a minimum cpu and memory requirement for Internet connection on DSL and cable modem that is beyond a PII not to mention a minimum requirement for Flash and video streaming.

I have an old PIII 700 laptop that only runs Office on XP. It too chokes on Flash and YouTube.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2008
    IIRC, there's a minimum cpu and memory requirement for Internet connection on DSL and cable modem that is beyond a PII not to mention a minimum requirement for Flash and video streaming.

I have an old PIII 700 laptop that only runs Office on XP. It too chokes on Flash and YouTube.

You're talking about graphics and video, sure it will choke. As for connecting to a fast internet connection, it will have no problem streaming all that data.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited April 2008
    Sami wrote: »
    You're talking about graphics and video, sure it will choke. As for connecting to a fast internet connection, it will have no problem streaming all that data.

I just remember a couple of ISP's had a minimum requirement beyond a PII. Can't recall who it was. :confused:
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2008
    Maybe it was their software? I never install the software that comes with the ISP.

On another note, I'm actually considering getting another PII or PIII system (used) due to the fact that they are so cheap these days and that they can do almost everything I need...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited April 2008
    Newer computers usually have more junk loaded on them. I do bare reinstalls all the time and a modern computer is much faster than an older one if they're both running clean software. Even if the newer machine is running XP vs. a light OS like 98 on the old one. Something like Word 2000 will open instantly (no lag after clicking the icon) on a clean P4 with a fast drive.

Laptops have much slower hard drivers than desktops, that's a factor, too.

Around here P2/P3 desktops are givaways. You can probably get a P4 or an Athlon for a few bucks.
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited April 2008
    you know i have an uncle that thinks windows xp is how big brother is spying on us..he still uses dos....and sadly i really am not joking. everytime he comes over and sees me on my laptop he gives me the 2 hour lecture about it
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited April 2008
    Maybe not probable, but plausible.

"I always feel like. . . somebody's watchin me"
    -Ignorance is strength -