What stocks are you buying?

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
I just bought about $3k worth of DBTK in my Roth. What is everyone else buying? I almost bought a few grand worth of Apple when it was at $125 last month and am kicking myself for not doing so. That's up to $155 already!
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited April 2008
    RIM. Bombardier.....
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited April 2008
    Cit, Idmi, Diga, Hygs, Goog, Vrso, Cexi, Brk.b
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2008
    MIR the most undervalued IPP I've ever seen.
  • SBrown712
    SBrown712 Posts: 202
    edited April 2008
    Check POT, seriously, it's gone up $35 since I got it about 2 weeks ago. Name is Potash, a Canadian company.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited April 2008
    Nuclear Bombs LMAO
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2008
    I'm not saying.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    edited April 2008
    BTU, they are selling coal to china like crazy. I have made 30% in the last 5 weeks.
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited April 2008
    I've been buying black socks lately.....I don't find myself wearing white much anymore.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,845
    edited April 2008
    SBrown712 wrote: »
    Check POT, seriously, it's gone up $35 since I got it about 2 weeks ago. Name is Potash, a Canadian company.

i picked it up around 88 last Sept........

bought TEX at 59 this year

bought MON last May ;)

among others...son covers this segment for his work.......yes it does help to have someone who knows........
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,845
    edited April 2008
    MIR the most undervalued IPP I've ever seen.

Are you talking about Mirant Corp ? energy company out of Georgia
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2008
    stay away from APP!!!!! Jesus christ I lost a lot of money I had invested in them.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2008
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    Are you talking about Mirant Corp ? energy company out of Georgia

Yes. I've held on thru their bankruptcy and still waiting for them to hit their true value.

$7 eps with a pe of 5. No brainer if you ask me.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2008
    So where do you guys get your info to jump on stocks for day trading type stuff. Like Pozen getting one of their drugs approved by the FDA and the next day their stock sky rockets. I often find cnn.com is about 2 hours too slow.
    -Cody
  • SBrown712
    SBrown712 Posts: 202
    edited April 2008
    I do little investing in stock. Most of what I learn is from my girlfriend or TV shows. We used to watch Kramer every night but found we were getting in on his suggestions too late. Where do you guys, other than insider info, get the info to make your decisions? I would love to get in on some IPOs but the two brokers, Optionsxpress and Sharebuilder, I use don't do IPOs. She heard about a stock the other day that we wanted to get in on but one broker wouldn't trade in it and the other takes 3 or 4 days to get money into the account so I can buy, often it's to late to hit that early spurt.
    I just realized I've said some of the same things exalted said so you guys that are in the know help us noobs out, please.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2008
    Mining.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2008
    Pork Bellys.

That's the future, gentlemen.
    Sal Palooza
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited April 2008
    I make the biggest part of my living from daytrading, and swing trading. In fact, I recently put in my two week notice with my long time employer because I simply make more money trading. I have become so successful with it that I plan to start a stock newsletter for $50 bucks a month which should come to fruition in about 6 months. I buy price action, and telegraphed volume using sophisticated (and expensive) software that reads where market makers are supporting and resisting purchases.

I typically buy a 50% position the day after a stock breaks out. It often drops marginally during that same session and I pick up the other 50%. If the stock doesn't drop that session I move forward with only half the intended position to avoid chasing. I currently hold 11 stocks in my portfolio, 10 of which are up 3% or more since I bought them and all have much smaller positions now as I trimmed near the market peak on Friday. Most of these stocks I will sell as they appear to top, or will stop out as I continually raise my stops using the last three ATR's. (Average Trading Ranges).

I most commonly dump 25%-33% of the position after the first three point move and start tightening my stops to protect my gains. I never own a position without keeping a stop (initially 3 ATR's from purchase). My biggest recent winners are TNH, DO, CF, and SPWR although most are the better part through thier breakout and I am NOT formally recommending them at this time. I routinely day trade CF, SPWR, RIMM, and AAPL. I made a killing buying CAT on Friday morning selling on Friday afternoon [CAT is still on a fresh breakout and safe to buy Monday but I was daytrading not swing trading].

This last couple of days will pay for half of the Chevy Silverado I am buying this week with a check from my Ameritrade account. I often will scalp 30-50 cents on AAPL or RIMM intraday on a 1000 share position for a quick $500 when nothing is going on. I can absolutely do this consistenly 8 out of 10 tries with my software.

My newest short term purchase on Monday is SIRF which is a new breakout. I have a 400 share order at market, a 750 share order at daily support of 6.23, and another 750 share order at weekly support of 5.85. Only the first order is guaranteed to fill but entirely possible profit taking will allow the other two to fill as well putting me initially upside down. My sell stop will be placed around $4.80 limiting my down risk to about 2 grand. Paper trade this if you want and see how you would have done in a few days. I generally will jump into 5-6 stocks on Monday but am holding off since I don't have time to backtest new stocks this weekend since my Mom needs a new nurse. I should also clarify that SIRF was only backtested briefly but good enough for me. It would not be formally recommended in my newsletter without 3 months testing.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2008
    Disney and Starbucks. Hey, I frequent those places the most of any other so I might as well invest in them as well. :)
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • dcmeigs
    dcmeigs Posts: 708
    edited April 2008
    ACAS. 12.5% dividend yield. Private Equity firm. 7.4 P/E. Recession will be difficult for ACAS and price reflects that expectation. Will they be forced to cut that dividend?
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited April 2008
    Visa ( V ), and Chesapeake ( CHK ) I remember trading Mastercard around 2 years ago, it was $60 range, today it is over $200 a share. I do not have a single share.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,067
    edited April 2008
    I stick with mutual funds. I've spent too much time researching what audio gear to buy and not enough time researching stocks.:o

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • exalted512
    edited April 2008
    hockeyboy wrote: »
    My newest short term purchase on Monday is SIRF which is a new breakout. I have a 400 share order at market, a 750 share order at daily support of 6.23, and another 750 share order at weekly support of 5.85. Only the first order is guaranteed to fill but entirely possible profit taking will allow the other two to fill as well putting me initially upside down. My sell stop will be placed around $4.80 limiting my down risk to about 2 grand. Paper trade this if you want and see how you would have done in a few days. I generally will jump into 5-6 stocks on Monday but am holding off since I don't have time to backtest new stocks this weekend since my Mom needs a new nurse. I should also clarify that SIRF was only backtested briefly but good enough for me. It would not be formally recommended in my newsletter without 3 months testing.

So you think SIRF would be a wise investment for this upcoming Monday? And do CP members get a newsletter discount? ;)
    -Cody
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited April 2008
    SIRF is a buy for me on Monday of 2K shares; but remember I am not much of a buy and hold guy. I will likely dump half my position and move up my stop to break even before Friday when earnings are released. That way I pick up a bit of dough from the short term pop (that market makers are driving) in front of earnings and don't risk more than even money on the balance of shares remaining. If the earnings are half decent it will really run, if they really stink I will stop out at even on the way back down.

Once the newletter comes online I will definitely give a Polkie discount.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]