sounds dumb but..what about a reel mower?

AdamRagland
AdamRagland Posts: 521
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
so i just moved into a new house and am looking to buy a lawn mower. i'm cruising around lowes website (i hate to buy a new lawnmower) looking for one and i see a reel mower(like the ones used back in the day) and they still sell these? so at first i laughed but then started considering it...so would this be an awful investment for $90?
Post edited by AdamRagland on

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited April 2008
    Used to have one, it was a nice workout for mowing the lawn but it would be difficult to mow a big lawn with one of them...

Here in NYC we can mow our 20X30' lawns with scissors ;)
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited April 2008
    How big is your lawn?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2008
    I have one, and it was fun for a summer - but upkeep is a REAL pain. Not a very accurate cut, and the blades constantly need cleaning and adjusting.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited April 2008
    If you have any hills or anything that might be off-axis, it's going to be a little rough but not impossible. I actually considered it, but my yard is too big and I don't need that much of a workout everyweek just to mow the yard.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,448
    edited April 2008
    I had a neighbor that bought one. After the first time she used it, she went out and bought a gas mower. 'Nuff said.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2008
    Just pick up a beater from a repair place, or a landscape supply store. They usually have old mowers handy. I have two guys within a mile that fix them as a hobby and always have them in the front yard for sale.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • AdamRagland
    edited April 2008
    yea i need to find somewhere that sells used ones. i have about 12 acres but only about 1 acre is "yard" that needs to be cut. and its all flat
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, dude, 1 acre will be brutal with a reel mower. Might want to go to a place that sells used stuff and get a ride-on. You can pick up an old one for a couple hundred bucks. 1 acre is about as large as I will go and be willing to push a mower around. 1 acre and bigger, you're better off with a wide-cut riding mower otherwise it's gonna take all weekend to get the grass mowed.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    Check Craigslist as well.....just stay away from the personals section.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mule
    mule Posts: 282
    edited April 2008
    What ?!? they use those to cut golf courses, way more than one acre !

Of course they pull them with a 150hp tractor:)
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited April 2008
    My neighbor had one out in the front of her yard, and a paper was on top of it that said FREE ...

I pushed it home just to find out there was no blade and, duh, no motor. I put it back... My parents probably would've been mad anyway...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,693
    edited April 2008
    They're great if your lawn is well-landscaped (i.e., the ground is 'smooth') and full. If it's weeds, ruts, and gullies... not so much.

Reel type lawn mowers (self-propelled, person-powered, or drag-behind-the-tractor) are self sharpening and will actually do a better job of cutting high-quality lawns because they actually cut grass, rather than tearing it as rotary mowers do.

Our lawn clings to existence every year, so no reel-type for us here :-(
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2008
    If you had a couple hundred sq ft of grass, I'd say yeah, but an acre!!??? A 5hp self propelled push mower is going to be a handfull on 40k+sq ft. I like the riding mower idea.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2008
    Get goats.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited April 2008
    Ridingmoweronly!!!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    Get goats.

That's something you'll regret.
  • AdamRagland
    edited April 2008
    i could always pour diesel on it and torch the whole plot
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    That would be sweet. Just make sure someone is in the middle when you do it. They'll laugh about it later.