Clarion

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited April 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Anybody here have experience with Clarion head units? How is the sound quality? How do they compare to other brands like Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, etc.?
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2008
    I haven't heard anything recent but Clarion was pretty good stuff for a while. The entry level stuff was often compared to the bottom line Pioneer Premier and old Sony Mobil ES at the time. I got to play with one around '04 and I was still quite impressed especially for the price. They don't have the market saturation here that they used to anymore though. But Clarion always was a decent brand.

I had Clarion 6x8" plates in my Taurus and I really liked them. I liked the signal processors I had from them too and the few people I knew with Clarion decks raved about them. The pop out DVD screen head units they had were very nice too. Now though, I don't know. Not many local places carry them.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2008
    Not going to be a sound quality difference other than their different tuning features (crossovers, EQ's and such).

Other than that, they make very solid pieces. Well built and free of noise and they usually offer plenty of features and look pretty sharp too.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2008
    Thanks, I will do some research on Clarion then...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Jstas
    edited April 2008
    This head unit they have had in the lineup for a while. Not this exact model but similar models. The top-of-the-line stuff they have has always been something to drool over. They are not a U.S. company though and we don't get the absolute top line models. We used to but not anymore. The top end models always ranked up there with Denon, Nakamichi, Alpine and so on. But this is one of those models that competes on that level.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2008/audio/source_units/cd/DRZ9255/us-en-product-pf_1172385113235.html

DRZ9255,0.jpg

But it's like $1400-$1500 and probably worth every penny. Good luck finding someone that carries it though.

• Jstas
    edited April 2008

• Jstas
    edited April 2008
    Oh and yeah, Clarion has a DRZ9255 model like the one about but they also have a Special Edition with fancier specs and a price tag pretty close to $2K if not just over.

But it compares with the fancypants Denon headunit the Polk Audio guys have hooked up in the sound room that we got to see the SR's whomp on the 801's in.

DRZ9255SE-JP_01.jpg

• Jstas
    edited April 2008
    I spoke too soon! Wanted to see if I could find it easily and that headunit above is available at OnlineCarStereo for $899.00! They are likely not an authorized dealer which is why the price is so low but that is the headunit at about a 30% discount from MSRP.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17445

• Serendipity
    edited April 2008
    Wow that looks like a nice head unit!!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• KevinLWhitaker
    KevinLWhitaker Posts: 47
    edited April 2008
    I have had this unit:

DXZ945MP.jpg

for almost 5 years and in several different vehicles. The sq is excellent but as Mac said, once you get into the mid to upper range of all the major brands that will be true of all head units. I really like having a parametric eq and most importantly time alignment. I doubt I could use a head unit without TA in the future. I was able to demo this unit before purchasing so I had the advantage of knowing its capabilities. I recommend Clarion equipment but would also advise that you ensure you get a unit with the features you need.