Need a DEAD QUIET desktop

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
Dad's old desktop is getting old and is about to retire, whether we have a replacement and a retirement package lined up or not. So, it's time to start looking into possible replacements.

Dad was set on a laptop for his next home computer (has a laptop for work) because he won't tolerate another noisy computer. He has some hearing problems (tinnitus), so the noise factor is a big one.

I'm hoping we can find a desktop that's dead quiet, since I think it's impractical to buy a laptop in its stead solely for the noise issue.

Where's a good place to look for a DEAD QUIET desktop? My first thought is a multimedia or HT PC. I would assume those should be quiet given their main purpose. However, Dad will only be using them for some casual card games, online access, and the usual low-end stuff.

Is there a better alternative?

Thanks!!
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2008
    Laptop; convenient, wireless, quiet, etc, etc, etc.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I understand those benefits, and those are real, tangible benefits.

However, he already has a laptop (albeit for business), and really would rarely take advantage of the mobility of a laptop for his main computer.

Might still end up being the way we go, though.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited April 2008
    I agree with going for a laptop. Desktops are nice in that they are more upgradable, but really, with the price of computers these days upgrades aren't usually necessary. After a couple years just buy a new one. Get a laptop, and if necessary add an external monitor, keyboard and mouse and you've got the best of both worlds.

For card games and online access (exactly what my Dad uses his for) even the cheapest of laptops from Dell would be a good fit.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited April 2008
    hmm. i have a fanless heatsink for socket A processors i dont use, if his current computer is a socket A you could have it cheep. then all you need to do is replace the one or two fans with "silent cat" fans.

thermaltake makes lots of nice stuff.

can you post a picture of the inside of the computer?

edit:
    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/PurePower/w0029/w0029.asp

what i have: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/cooler/retail/cl-p0071/cl-p0071.asp

look at last 3 http://thermaltakeusa.com/product/DCfan/Standard/standard_index.asp
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited April 2008
    Well, I don't know of a model he could go out and buy that was absolutely quiet. I do know my mother-in-law's Dell is pretty quiet. He'll just need to shop around and see if he can tolerate the noise.

But if you build your own, here ya go. Have fun.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for all the info so far.

sophie - Thanks so much for the offer; very nice of you. However, his computer really is on the last leg, so it'll be getting replaced instead of 'refreshed'.

fatchowmein - Thanks for the advice. I suppose going and hearing them in person really is the best way to do it, but the typical BB and CC environment isn't really quiet enough to predict how loud it'll be in his room. Thanks for the link, too.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited April 2008
    i think building your own is the only way to go. lots cheaper and you can get exactly what you want.
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited April 2008
    Antec makes some very quiet cases, multimedia and otherwise.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • dbaldus
    dbaldus Posts: 730
    edited April 2008
    If you're building a computer for him, just buy average parts (nothing with monstrous fans to make a ton of noise) and slap them inside of an Antec P180 case. The thing muffles absolutely EVERYTHING unless you mount a noisy intake/exhaust fan on one of the vents. But, assuming your dad doesn't play a bunch of videogames, I'm assuming the fans and high-end parts with big fans won't be necessary so the thing should be dead silent.

If you need any help with this, I'd be more than happy to talk with you about it. I built a silent PC myself for gaming, which is a very difficult task given all of the components involved in having a great gaming machine, about 2 years ago.

2-channel
    Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
    Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited April 2008
    Whatever you buy make sure it has 120mm fans and not 80mm fans. That's where 90% of your noise comes from.

I agree with dbaldus, buy whatever you want for parts, then focus your money on the case, the Antec cases are nice, you can also buy sheets of sound deadening material and line the case with it.

120mm fans with sound deadening inside the case should be a dead quiet machine.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2008
    I would agree with building it yourself. My case has 6 fans in it and its nice and quiet. It makes some nioes but not enough to be annoying.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited April 2008
    Don't mean to throw a wrench into things but, would your dad be able to use a Mac? They're just amazingly quiet. Just don't make any sound at all.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    , the Antec cases are nice, you can also buy sheets of sound deadening material and line the case with it.

The P180 cases are actually built with sound-deadening materials already, which is why it's such a nice case. I have two of them. Fantastic.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2008
    For a standard PC I agree that it would be best to build one. That way you will be able to search for low noise components such as cpu fans, hard drives, etc....

If money isn't an issue..... I would heavily recommend the new Ultra thin MacBook Air with the solid state drive. That thing is super quick and dead silent since there are no moving parts.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited April 2008
    cmy330go wrote: »
    If money isn't an issue..... I would heavily recommend the new Ultra thin MacBook Air with the solid state drive. That thing is super quick and dead silent since there are no moving parts.

+1 on this idea if money isn't a problem. Also know that there is no optical drive, which is why the thing is so dang thin.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    I think the Macbook Air is a ridiculous recommendation for a "main PC". It's great for someone who travels a lot but for someone's dad to use as his home PC is just silly. No optical drive, small screen, etc....
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2008
    No problem, Zero.

As the others have already suggested to me, it's not that difficult to build a quiet PC. Get a nice case (wish I had splurged more on mine) such as the P180, and make sure all your fans are the larger 120mm instead of the smaller fans that are always screaming.

That sounds like the perfect solution except for two things: Dad doesn't want to wait for all the parts to get here and then get built,....and....then I'd be jealous 'cause he'd have a nicer case than I do! :p

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys; really appreciate it. Might spend some time in BB or CC listening to see how loud the average new PC is, but looks like I'll have to succumb and let Dad get a laptop like he originally suggested.

Thanks!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2008
    I'm a computer teacher these days and when we replaced the lab computers last summer my 1 absolute was the the computers be extra quiet as 26 running at once can lead to hearing issues if they aren't. We chose the Dell Optiplex 745. Even though they are a small form factor, after the initial startup "whoosh", they are incredibly quiet.

Plus, it allows you to get him a 19" monitor, much better on aging eyes.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited April 2008
    Picked up two new HP business machines for the office lately. The fan comes on when you start it, and after that I've never heard it. Of course no one is gaming on it. Quiet office. Have to send my main laptop out for a mobo repair, so picked up a brandy new Dell Vostro 1500 (35W Centrino Duo2) for the time that I'd be without. I'm blocking the intake, and I still can't hear the fan. For a cheap laptop, it's extremly quiet, has a good keyboard, and the screen is quite nice. I'd keep it, but it's way too big to carry everyday.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited April 2008
    I haven't read the whole thread so if this has been posted already I am sorry for the repeat.

But.... What about buying one and lining it with dynamat?
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited April 2008
    Upgrading the fans will help since there are much quieter fans available than stock. There are fans with controllers on them to let you adjust the speed to your liking which is good as long as you don't turn them too low. I just bought this one.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008
    Power supplies can be noisy too. I just installed a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750, and it lives up to it's name.

I also replaced the CPU fan with a ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler, it's also very quiet.

Both will also hold their own in a gaming rig.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2008
    Macbook Air is pretty and sexy but without a house full of Mac's to have it link with (share HD space and an optical drive) it's not really a desktop replacement PC.

My Macbook Pro is very quiet, but still pretty expensive for just internet and games, plus they get really really hot whenever you do anything semi-intensive with them.
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited April 2008
    I have not read the whole thread, but here is my suggestion.

Obviously, you need to eliminate all fans. How? Simple. Buy Zalman fanless products - Zalman makes fanless CPU and bridge coolers - check their website.

To eliminate fan in the power supply, you can either replace it with controlled fan (and reduce rpm to an acceptable minimum), ultra-quiet fan (i.e. Panaflo Lo), or buy a fanless power supply (I believe, either Enermax or Antec make these). I used to have Enermax's whisper-quiet PS, which had 2(!) fans, but was uber-quiet.

To completely eliminate noise, you can buy hard drive with fluid bearings. You can also use some sound dampening material on the inside.

There are several sites that sell parts for quiet PCs. Here is one (found on Google): http://www.endpcnoise.com/
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2008
    Don't mean to throw a wrench into things but, would your dad be able to use a Mac? They're just amazingly quiet. Just don't make any sound at all.

I have a MacBook pro with max hardware in it and when I am running any of my graphics programs that SOB gets jet engine loud for a spell. It's not annoying (to me), but it's hardly quiet.