Revolution in audio?

Earlybird
Earlybird Posts: 8
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
Hi,

some days ago i found a interseting site. It is describing a procedure, which would allow creating a virtually copy of the genuine soundfield in all room dimensions. Should become that really possible in future by your opinion?:confused:

The link: http://www.wave-field-synthesis.de/
Post edited by Earlybird on

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2008
    Well , it had some interesting basic animations.

But when they said,

"Prof. Berkhout invented the procedure 1988 at the University of Delft, based on the Kirchhoff- Helmholtz integral:

I said, 'No way, man !".

Mainly because I didn't know what the heck they were talking about. :o

BUT: nice first post, Earlybird. You might want to consider some research on the positive/negative aspects of cables vs wires.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2008
    Just listen to headphones and call it a day.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2008
    Welcome to Club Polk Earlybird!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited April 2008
    Holy hell that's thick!

Mind giving a rundown of the basic idea? I mean I can suffer through some seriously rough technical documents and understand what they are saying but with all the advanced topics and the not so great translation on the English side, it's hard to get a grasp of what is going on.

Something tells me that you didn't just "find" that site either but you might actually have something to do with it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Earlybird
    edited April 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    Holy hell that's thick!

Something tells me that you didn't just "find" that site either but you might actually have something to do with it.

..I am relatively familar with the wife of the autor, i admit.:rolleyes:

Regards earlybird
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited April 2008
    Earlybird wrote: »
    ..I am relatively familar with the wife of the autor, i admit.:rolleyes:

Regards earlybird

I thought so. I found it odd that some dude from Germany would just pop in to an American forum and post a post like this!

You wacky Germans! You're so sneaky! :;) :p:D

So any help on a simpler explanation on what the article is about?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Earlybird
    edited April 2008

Hi Jstas,
    we doesn't wacky. His wife is almost as old as myself, unfortunately.:D
    But I'm request him because a simply explanation. Sure ,it follows in the next days.

Greetings Earlybird:cool:
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2008
    Holy smokes! I've been to some telcom classes that had some pretty dry technical info that I unfortunately understood, but that's a bit over the top for me.

Cool animated pics though.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2008
    After viewing the site again, this time in German, I now feel a complusion to invade Poland.

.... but in a good way.

;)
    Sal Palooza
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,448
    edited April 2008
    I saw this thread last night when it first posted.....no way in hell I was ckicking the link then and from the looks of things, I'm glad I didn't.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2008
    After viewing the site again, this time in German, I now feel a complusion to invade Poland.

.... but in a good way.

;)

:D You crack me up.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Earlybird
    edited April 2008

...It’s a hard task, describing complicated connections easily, let me try it:

Imagine, you are situated in an opera house, best place, great tenor sings. Suddeny unexpected some bricklayers come in, build up a little housing around you. You are angrily, 56$ for the ticket and now you can hear nothing!:eek:
    But help is coming. One of the masons made holes into all walls, 10 cm in diameter, each on the other. Super, you hear Caruso as good as without the house. But now the electricians coming, sticking each hole by a loudspeaker. The sound is blocked again, but then, suddenly you hear likely the holes would be open. The electricians have supplied each speaker by a small amplifier and a microphone on the outside of the holes. Nothing is changed, speakers and microphones working well today.

The problem is only; you need one discrete channel for each micro, if you want to build the speakers into your living room walls. The second, mostly bigger problem is your wife, if you want to load all walls around in your living room by loudspeakers.:mad:

The webside does describe nothing else as a solution for those two problems. It describes a way for build up the direct wave and the first early reflections from a dry recorded audio signal in the same spatial behavior as in the opera house. That’s the core of each acoustic, by conventionally loudspeaker reproduction we are far away from this goal. The reverberation tail created from the impulse response, that’s practice in all studios today so. This impulse response becomes suppressed for the early reflection time, so that the first reflections don’t produce a second time. The reverberation comes from all directions by such approach, likely in the opera house. By including the reflecting walls ofyour living room, as it is known from the sound projectors, you can resign the loudspeakers all around, only those behind the picture screen remain. But the gadget isn’t producing virtually loudspeakers, as do it the sound projectors. The loudspeaker field simulates the source itself. That shouldn't be a little revolution in audio ?

The ony remaining problem woud be the other problems with your wife.:D

Greetings Earlybird