autism awareness month

chillywilly
chillywilly Posts: 167
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
It's autism awareness month and my daughter deals with it everyday of her life. So I thought I'd post a pic of my little hero. :):):):):):)
DSC00989.jpg
FXi3 sats
RTi10 fronts
CSi5 center
velodyne dps 10
denon avr 888
velodyne dps 12
sammy lcd
ps3 60gig
wii for family
Post edited by chillywilly on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2008
    Your little hero is so beautiful!

My heart goes out to you and your family. I am very familiar with autism. None is my family but several in my neigborhood. More people should beome aware of this disease and what it's all about.

Here's to your hero!:)
    Carl

• chillywilly
    edited April 2008
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Your little hero is so beautiful!

My heart goes out to you and your family. I am very familiar with autism. None is my family but several in my neigborhood. More people should beome aware of this disease and what it's all about.

Here's to your hero!:)

I totally agree most people think that they are misbehaving but they really aren't my daughter is very particular and regimental in the way she does things it all goes in a certain order nothing ever changes. If something is out of place it's very upsetting for her
    FXi3 sats
    RTi10 fronts
    CSi5 center
    velodyne dps 10
    denon avr 888
    velodyne dps 12
    sammy lcd
    ps3 60gig
    wii for family
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2008
    You've chosen wisely in picking a hero, Chilly; a charming young lady, to be sure. :)

I thought I heard a figure that 1 out of 150 children today are born with some level of autism.
    Sal Palooza
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2008
    You've chosen wisely in picking a hero, Chilly; a charming young lady, to be sure. :)

I thought I heard a figure that 1 out of 150 children today are born with some level of autism.

That's correct, if you can believe statistics (which I've grown very weary of about any matter).

Nonetheless, there was news a while back that it was able to be reversed in lab mice, so hopefully a cure is coming. No one is still 100% sure of the causes, but 1 in 150...thats an epidemic, and not enough is being done about it.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited April 2008
    She's beautiful!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2008
    She's a doll. Jenny McCarthy http://www.thebestlinks.com/images/thumb/b/ba/180px-Jenny_McCarthy,no_top.jpg was recommending a gluten free diet on TV. She said it was working for her child. And of course she mentioned staying away from flu shots and vaccines with thimerosal in them.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2008
    It's actually a diet that several people have been mentioning as of late for autistic children.

The staying away from flu shots and vaccines isn't something that cl is making up either (surprise surprise)........that's been something that has been documented as directly affecting a child's behavior patterns after all the stuff that gets pumped into kids nowadays.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited April 2008
    Actually, I've read further in to it and even listened to some things Jenny was saying. It's not so much the thimerosal that is the problem as the sheer number of shots that kids get and at what age they get them at. Kids aren't getting that much more in shots than they were when the previous two generations were getting shots. But many of the shots I got between the ages of 3 and 10 all seem to happen before the age of 3 now and kids are still experiencing a very large amount of development at that age. The minute amounts of mercury are only a small portion of the chemical soup we are pumping in to our kids at a very early age now. There is no reason to turn the kids into a glowing fleshy lump of a meatbag before they are 3 years old in the name of health.

But honestly, that's off topic. chillywilly, you have a beautiful daughter and I hope for nothing but the best for you, her and your entire family.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2008
    We are expecting and when it comes to vaccines, we are going to get them 1 at a time. We have searched locally and there are very few places that will sell them individually.
    Venom
  • chillywilly
    edited April 2008
    They think there may be a link of autism to other genetic disorders as well. Mackenzie has another genetic disorder called MCAD for short. Her body cannot break down fatty acids so she has to eat every 3 hours to keep her system going and if she gets a cold and can't eat she has to go to the hospital for an IV. She's six years old and weighs 32lbs.
    FXi3 sats
    RTi10 fronts
    CSi5 center
    velodyne dps 10
    denon avr 888
    velodyne dps 12
    sammy lcd
    ps3 60gig
    wii for family
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited April 2008
    Autism often goes along with other issues.... The Gluten-Free diet has worked wonders in some children, but usually when those children have allergies or other issues that make a change in diet perform wonderfully. In other children, it makes no difference.

Much like very few children with Autism have exactly the same symptoms to the same degree - very few treatments work the same to the same degree. I am certainly not discounting trying a change in diet to see if it helps at all, just saying because it worked great for one child does not mean it is a cure for all.

You have a beautiful daughter Chilli. My son(6) and daugther(8) also make me aware of autism much more often than one month a year. If you ever want to chat - I am just a PM away.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)