Back up harddrives

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,575
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
So I finally ran out of space on D drive on my computer...

The problem is, I continually gain new music. So running out of space is not an option. I have a 500 gig back up harddrive. My thing is, now all my music is only on this drive. So if it fails, I am SOL. This is not good.

So I am curious if you can back up a back up?

Thanks
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2008
    Can you put your drives in a RAID array?
  • VR3
    edited April 2008
    No idea?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited April 2008
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1231976

I've got a small pile of those at work I need to set up this week.....you should get one...that should be enough space to last you quite a while.
  • VR3
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, but thats 1600 bucks lol

My 500 gig cost me 100 bucks... so I was thinking another 500 gigs or 1TB
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    Yeah you can get 500GB hard drives for 80-90 bucks these days. I buy a few at a time and set up a RAID so I don't have to worry about backups as often (still do them occasionally).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited April 2008
    umm, you could burn to a CD and have a hard copy back up, just a thought :)

why not get a second 500 gig
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • VR3
    edited April 2008
    Thats what I am asking :)

Can I back up a 500 gig external harddrive with a second external harddrive?

:)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2008
    Heres another thought, theres some pretty good online backup companies out there for pretty reasonable prices.....

Heres one thats been recommended from Leo laPorte

http://www.carbonite.com/

Heres a couple more:

http://www.intronis.com/

http://www.evault.com/pages/start/ppc-onlinebackupgeneral/index.html?Campaign_Id=11481&Activity_Id=7141&kw=online%20backup&gclid=CKfY_aKq3pICFRpOagodHEFP-A
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • VR3
    edited April 2008
    Ummm

I will not back up my data on the internet. Sorry lol
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2008
    Ummm

I will not back up my data on the internet. Sorry lol

oh you big chicken:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited April 2008
    Thats what I am asking :)

Can I back up a 500 gig external harddrive with a second external harddrive?

:)

yes!
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • VR3
    edited April 2008
    hoosier21 wrote: »
    yes!

Thank you Sir!
  • VR3
    edited April 2008
    Well, good news is if something were to crash

I have two Zune back ups as well :)
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited April 2008
    So I am curious if you can back up a back up?

Trey,
    1. Your simpliest solution right now is to pick up another 500GB hard drive and use it as a backup of your current 500GB drive. Just copy everything over.

2. Buy a second 500GB drive. Use Window's software RAID to mirror the two drives. This will destroy all data on your current 500GB drive.

3. Buy a second 500GB drive. Buy an external enclosure that will hold two drives and allow for Raid 0+1 (mirror). This will destroy all data on your current 500GB drive.

4. Another option but it's a bit more complicated. Buy a 500GB drive for backup. Don't use drag and drop to copy. Instead, use Robocopy in a batch file. That way, everytime you run the robocopy script it will only copy the changes to your backup 500GB. If this interests you let me know and I'll send you the instructions.

For example...

c:\temp\robocopy.exe D:\Music e:\Music /e /zb /r:2 /w:5 /v /xo /log+:musiccopy.log /TEE
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited April 2008
    On topic but possibly derail? If the pc hdd crashes, that DOES take out the external as well?
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited April 2008
    obieone wrote: »
    On topic but possibly derail? If the pc hdd crashes, that DOES take out the external as well?

Nope. Just move the external drive to another system and you're good to go.

Now, if you had mirrored two external drives you would lose the mirror set because the RAID configuration is with the o/s (software raid) but you are now the proud owner of two external drives with identical content. You just won't be able to mirror both of them together on the new system without wiping out the data first. If you had used a RAID card, that would be different because the RAID configuration should have been stored in either the card itself and/or on the drives themselves so all you need to do is move the RAID card along with the drives. But, I'm getting way too advance here.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited April 2008
    Sure you can Sid. Just create a simple batch file using "xcopy" and a 2nd drive. here's the batch file I created for my work backup (filename: friday.bat)

@echo Backing up selected files...window will close automatically when completed.
    @echo off
    REM copy folders my documents
    xcopy "\\huaca7n6filesv3\ESTA\MESF\*.*" "e:\backup\friday\stephen.rose" /c /s /r /d /y /i > e:\backup\friday\xcopy.log

I created one of these for each day of the week for nightly back-ups. I know what your thinking: "Steve, you dumbass, use backup software that came with the drive." Well, you have to have administrator privlidges to use the software. Ain't the Gubment wonderful?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2