Where to exchange for Euros

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
I've been given a lot of different advice on where to get the best exchange rate for going to Europe so I thought I'd poke at the great minds of Club Polk to see what you guys think. I'm leaving next week and would like to have at least a few hundred in bills before the trip, just in case. I already called my CCs to let them know I'll be going over so they don't put a stop on my cards.

Thanks.
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited April 2008
    Your bank.

Ask your CC companies if they charge a foreign currency conversion fee, many do.

Don't use your CCs in eastern Europe. ;)
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2008
    Many times your best option to get cash while in Europe is to use your ATM card. YMMV but most of the times fees are the lowest that way.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2008
    I find that I have gotten the best exchange rate when using my CC's in Europe. The fee's at the ABN AMRO's are usually less than at the hotels. The Euro is really strong right now so the US $ won't go far. We got killed last November in Amsterdam, it is worse now.
    Venom
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited April 2008
    we tried to buy as much stuff with our CC as possible when in Europe because we read that it was the best exchange rate. We also just used ATM's to get cash. Most of the ATM's of large banks had english.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • bernardo
    bernardo Posts: 120
    edited April 2008
    I have an account at a bank that does not charge me any fees for using ATMs outside the US (6 transactions per statement cycle). So for me, this is the best way: no fees and the best exchange rate.

I believe the exchange rate of a Visa or Mastercard is the same as using your debit card at an ATM... specially if they carry any of those logos.

I use to have CC without fees but all of them have change their cardmember agreement to include them. So, I've been getting cash at an ATM and pay cash everywhere... Just remember your daily and/or transaction limits :)

In my experience, even ATMs in small towns/banks let you choose language when they notice you have a foreign card. Also, I have never been charged fees by them because it is not my banks, as they do in the US.

Hope it helps
  • margate21
    margate21 Posts: 105
    edited April 2008
    i agree with the atm-cc but if u want to have some cash handy before u go over, i would go to an american express office for the best f/x rate. with the dollar hitting an all time low today vs euro.. it doesnt go far. but have fun!!
    Home Theater
    lsi 15's, lsi c, lsi f/x
    onkyo 805
    sunfire tga 5200
    toshiba - xa2
    panasonic bd30
    sony kdl40v2500
    svs sb12+