Computer malware redundancy question

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
I purchased and installed AVG 8.0 today on my computer and it contains a bunch of stuff like anti-virus, spyware, spam blocker, firewall, e-mail scanner, rootkit, webshield, etc. My question is about redundancy --

I already use the free versions of spybot and adaware. Should I still use them?

I already have a router and I use Windows firewall. Should I disable the Windows firewall?

Do I really need another spam blocker? Hotmail and gmail have been doing a great job for me over the past few years.

The reason I ask is because I noticed a slight slowdown of my system after I installed AVG 8.0 (although it could have been because I also downloaded XP SP3 today, too). Plus, I don't like to have a bunch of unnecessary software running in the background.

Thanks.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008
    Early B. wrote: »
    I already use the free versions of spybot and adaware. Should I still use them?
    If they find things that AVG doesn't, yes.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited April 2008
    I don't see the need for all that redundancy, unless you surf in dangerous waters. Let AVG handle the firewall, and uninstall SpyBot, and AdAware. I'd reinstall SpyBot every few months, run a scan, then uninstall.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited April 2008
    No need for redundancy and turn off MS firewall.

As for Spybot and Adaware, you can leave them installed but just make sure you don't have them and AVG scanning at the same time. If you're paranoid, you can setup AVG for auto or scheduled scan and run spybot or adaware manually if you think there's something AVG didn't catch.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2008
    OK, thanks, fellas.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    Both Spybot and AdAware (the free ones) are "run and done" type programs that don't run in the background, so having them installed won't slow down your system at all (unless you install some extras that come with them, like "TeaTimer" with SpyBot).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited April 2008
    Tea Timer is the fun part, but will use a small amount of resources. If you don't install that component, it won't use any until the scanner is started. Bob's correct.
    -Ignorance is strength -