RDO198's ?

Options
Neskahi
Neskahi Posts: 297
edited April 2008 in Vintage Speakers
A question to those of you that have swapped from SL3000's to RDO198's.
Was there an improvement and would you do it again? To me, the 3000's sound
pretty good. But I'm still learning. I have upgraded 2000's to 194's and do
agree with most that it's a huge improvement. It's a $300.00 question.
The speakers I'm considering these for are 2.3TL's.
SDA 2.3/RDO's... xovers by Ben
SDA 2.3TL/Stock..
SDA 1C/Solens/RDO's [gave to my Uncle]
SDA 2B RDO's
Snell Type CV
SDA 1.2TL's
GFA7700 Adcom
GFP750 Adcom
TFM55X Carver
M90 Pioneer/C90 Pre
M91 x 2 Pioneers/C91 Pre
Yaqin MC10l
DCD-1520/1560/2560 Denon
Marantz DVD-8400
Carver m1.5T
DV-79avi Pioneer
TFM35X x 2
Post edited by Neskahi on

Comments

• stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Yes, there is a substantial improvement. The silkies tamed what I thought was a slightly bright SL3000. By taming the top side, the midrange really sounds more fluid. Strings sound gorgeous. Brass instruments are crisp without bite. Like you said though, it's a $300 question.

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I made the switch...like yourself,I had swapped out SL2000's on other SDA's and was very pleased...so,I elected to change out the 3000's also.

Not as much as a dramitic difference as the 194's...but a definate improvement over the 3000's.

And yes,I would do it again.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,094
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Wait for Carl to chime in...................it'll only be a matter of time.

The difference isn't as dramatic with the 198's as it is with the 194's simply because right out of the box the sl3000 was a better tweeter than the sl2000. But the 198's are still a pretty nice improvement and worth the investment. Be sure to allow for ample break in.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2008
    Options
    It never hurts to ask if Polk has a satisfaction money back guarantee. Most places do these days. If they don't, I would just order 3 at first so you can a left vs right comparison with the stock sl3000.
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Bingo...............that didn't take long at all. Some of us are OH SO predictable.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I would just order 3 at first so you can a left vs right comparison with the stock sl3000.

Make sure to use one ear also. But don't use the same single ear for both L & R. Paragraph 5 sect 2.17A of CL35M's user guide to Polk tweeters mentions that; in case you missed it.

H9
  • candyliquor35m
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Also I don't think you're giving everyone enough detail. If you have no complaints with the stock sl3000 then the best advice is usually to do nothing.

If you have specific complaints then it's easier for everyone to say yes or no whether the upgrade would solve that complaint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,860
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I held out changing my SL3000's, it was a mistake. The RD0198-1 is far superior and made a huge difference to my golden ears. Therefore, my advice is just do it. You can thank me/us later.

CL, STFU.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2008
    Options
    It never hurts to ask if Polk has a satisfaction money back guarantee. Most places do these days. If they don't, I would just order 3 at first so you can a left vs right comparison with the stock sl3000.

Our village idiot:o
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Buy em',,if you don't like I'll buy em' from you,,how;s that for a money back guarentee
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2008
    Options
    The RDO is superior. I, too, was skeptical but it was WELL worth it.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited April 2008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I held out changing my SL3000's, it was a mistake. The RD0198-1 is far superior and made a huge difference to my golden ears. Therefore, my advice is just do it. You can thank me/us later.

CL, STFU.

Thanks F1, I was on the fence about this change also.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I definitely agree that the 194 was a big improvement over the Sl2000. The 198 is a bit more detailed/refined than the SL3000. The 198 is a HUGE MONSTER MEGA IMPROVEMENT over the SL2500 (this was a god-awful tweeter).

I like the SL3000. I'm not sure I'd spend the coin to change it over to the RDO198. Its an improvement - but, a subtle one.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited April 2008
    Options
    RDO 198 is a very nice tweeter.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Boywonder
    Boywonder Posts: 225
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Neskahi wrote: »
    It's a $300.00 question.

It's somewhat less than a $300 question if you sell your SL-3000's in the FM or ebay. If the going rate for SL-2000's are $20 apiece or so, six SL-3000's ought to fetch $150 or so, possibly more.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited April 2008
    Options
    CL

No comment ;)

I only participate in constructive conversations.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited April 2008
    Options
    No comment ;)

What color is the sky in your world?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • candyliquor35m
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    What

No comment for obvious reasons :p
  • F1nut
    edited April 2008
    Options

Something you haven't done in years. Now, STFU.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2008
    Options
    No

Yes please
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • candyliquor35m
    edited April 2008
    Options
  • F1nut
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Allow me to quote another Polkie about your "constructive conversations."
    Ok; so what you already know is:

1.-There is not one member here that likes you. You are cursed, personally attacked and there's name calling against you in every thread you post...no matter what you post.

2.-The mods (or some hacker) modify your own polls.

3.-The mods (or some other hacker) modify your signature.

How sad your life must be if you are still here.

President of Club Polk

• candyliquor35m
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Allow

No comment for obvious reasons ;) but thanks for threadcrapping on someone else's thread.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I agree whole heartedly with the 0198s over the SL3000s. If I had buy eight more to do another set of 1.2 TL the check would already be in the mail.

Carl, why do you always have to start **** by quoting another thread or even replying to anyone in a stupid way? No on is saying not to post but God Almighty you are so predictable.

This is one of the many time where I agree with STFU!
  • candyliquor35m
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I

I love ya Joe and good health is in your future but this is another one of the times I have to say no comment. I made constructive comments as usual and someone started threadcrapping with off-topic comments.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited April 2008
    Options
    At first I didn't like them as well. They seemed a little dull, but then they grow on you and you realize the 3000's are too sharp. More mellow, clean without the edge or the hiss. You'll dig them.

-Luc

Neskahi wrote: »
    A question to those of you that have swapped from SL3000's to RDO198's.
    Was there an improvement and would you do it again? To me, the 3000's sound
    pretty good. But I'm still learning. I have upgraded 2000's to 194's and do
    agree with most that it's a huge improvement. It's a $300.00 question.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2008
    Options
    "More mellow, clean without the edge or the hiss." ...Luc

You are right on the money. At first I thought they sounded a little "hollow" but after about 50 hours they started to sing.

I like the SL3000s but compared to the 198s they sound metalic and bright in places.
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I love ya Joe and good health is in your future but this is another one of the times I have to say no comment. I made constructive comments as usual and someone started threadcrapping with off-topic comments.

And you continue to answer which in and of itself is thread crapping. If you are so worried about thread crapping you would have said your constructive piece and moved on. But you didn't; you keep crapping too so your rationale is irrational.

Stop answering unproductive posts and then YOU won't be contributing to the thread crapping you are so worried about and then you can move on and not worry about it.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited April 2008
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    And

No comment. Your post has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. The mods are smart enough to see right thru the smoke and mirrors and games a few of you are playing. It's called baiting but this time I ain't playin' :D which makes a few of you try even harder to get under my skin.

Life is too short to get caught up in such trivial games. I could get t-boned tomorrow and die and I would hate to die an unhappy person. My life is too full and rich and blessed to participate in anything that's not positive and constructive.

The whole embodiment of this forum is to share the enjoyment we all get from Polk and I respect Polk and this forum too much to say anything that would disgrace Polk and this forum.

comprende :)
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I ain't playin' :D

Funny.........seems by answering, you're playin', even though you say you aren't. Now who is using "smoke and mirror's"?