SDA effect at an airshow?

sda2mike
sda2mike Posts: 3,131
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
that's right, you read it! i was at the sun n fun airshow in lakeland, fl saturday. alot of jets. loud, fast jets. then it happened. i see a jet hauling **** across the sky. everything looks normal. then, the jets sound showed up up about a mile after the jet! wow! my ears were looking for the giant polks in the sky! the sound of the machines is phenomenal. the loudest most violent sound. as these jets whizzed by, the sound followed and seemed to 'swirl' around. amazing show. if you haven't been to an airshow, i urge you to go now! just for the sounds! :cool:
Post edited by sda2mike on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2008
    Pretty sure that's not the SDA effect, but what do I know.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2008
    I think that's called too many plastic Coors Light and not enough hot dogs.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,984
    edited April 2008
    I thought it was understood that it's not an effect, it's a "technology". :p
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited April 2008
    A rudimentary description of SDA would be it eliminates the delay of sound to the opposite ear.

What you heard was the jet traveling as fast as the sound which was behind the jet. At the speed the jet was flying and based on where you were standing the sound wave couldn't overtake the speed of the jet so you heard the sound after the jet passed by.

Had it been traveling faster than the speed of sound it's called super sonic and you would have heard a loud boom ala the Concorde jet or jet fighter reaching and exceeding the speed of sound.

Not really how SDA works.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited April 2008
    Errr... it's far simpler: That's the difference between the speed of light and the speed of sound. A 1 mile distance, they'll be about 5 seconds apart.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • sda2mike
    edited April 2008
    i know...it wasn't actually SDA:rolleyes: quite similar tho. when you're looking @ an object and it's sound is moving somewhere totally different. quite a trip. not entirely unlike SDAs
  • sda2mike
    edited April 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I think that's called too many plastic Coors Light and not enough hot dogs.

no coors:eek: i had a 3+ hour drive to get there and i returned later in the day. it was fkn hot tho
  • sda2mike
    edited April 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »
    A rudimentary description of SDA would be it eliminates the delay of sound to the opposite ear.

What you heard was the jet traveling as fast as the sound which was behind the jet. At the speed the jet was flying and based on where you were standing the sound wave couldn't overtake the speed of the jet so you heard the sound after the jet passed by.

Had it been traveling faster than the speed of sound it's called super sonic and you would have heard a loud boom ala the Concorde jet or jet fighter reaching and exceeding the speed of sound.

Not really how SDA works.

good explanation;)
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    Yea, there's usually some SDA nerd who doesn't get the humor.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited April 2008
    Airshows rock. I grew up going to them with dad in the AF, so I have seen more than a couple :) Nothing, and I do mean nothing, compares to the power of a jet flying hard and low.....Glad you enjoyed!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    sda2mike wrote: »
    good explanation;)

Thanks and I do get where you are coming from as far as the experience. They just started having an annual air show at our airport and maybe it's time to check it out again. I haven't been to one in years :)
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Yea, there's usually some SDA nerd who doesn't get the humor.

Guilty of being too literal on this one.
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Guilty of being too literal on this one.

That was a sexy explanation tho'.....mmmm, hot damn it was.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited April 2008
    When I was stationed at Luke AFB in AZ, we had F-16 demo responsibility for any western air shows. This guy would go out everyday late morning after the first sorties of the day were done and fly his demo. One day he was desending from a loop and as he started loading the g's to pull out at the bottom, a mass of vapor showed up over the canopy. A rapid boom-boom! We looked at the HUD camera tape later and watched his descent and pull-up. The mach number wound rapidly up to .98 (he yanked the throttle back at .95) - the whole jet didn't go supersonic, but the air over the canopy did! No damage done, but it was kewl to see. :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,448
    edited April 2008
    This thread is worthless without pics. :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2008
    Zero wrote: »
    An F-15 low pass gives me wood.

B-52 ... Stratofortress .... bomb bay doors open .... dumping its guts all over kingdom come ...... now THAT'S a wood popper !

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1qPWN-uV0I&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1qPWN-uV0I&hl=en&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

F1nut wrote: »
    This thread is worthless without pics. :D

Well .... I don't have actual pictures but ..... well .... this picture is an excellent simulation.

giant_sequoia2.jpg

Yep .... " Ol' General Sherman "
    Sal Palooza