Blockbuster to acquire Circuit City ???

carpenter
carpenter Posts: 362
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
seems like They want to sale movies and players all at the same store.
link ....
"If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
Post edited by carpenter on

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited April 2008
    carpenter wrote: »
    seems like They want to sale movies and players all at the same store.
    link ....

0+0 still equals 0
    Let's hope there's some one else waiting in the wings.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, two companies caught in a downward spiral of pending obsoleteness.... not exactly going to be a profitable merger. Though it will make the bankruptcy paperwork easier in a few years.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited April 2008
    ^That was perfect.^
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2008
    Oh, I got one -- "two wrongs don't make it right."
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,448
    edited April 2008
    I wish them the best of success, you should too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2008
    I don't think it will work, but with both of them failing now, might as well go out in style.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2008
    Circuit City is supposed to be doing better now. All the Blockbuster's around here are always packed as well. I dont see them going away too soon, at least in the bigger towns.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2008
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Circuit City is supposed to be doing better now. All the Blockbuster's around here are always packed as well. I dont see them going away too soon, at least in the bigger towns.
    -Cody

It doesn't matter how "packed" their stores are, their business model is for **** and they're tanking fast. Take a peek at their stock sometime (BBI).

Circuit City (CC) is equally in the tank (though up a bit because of the BB news)
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited April 2008
    The crowd in Blockbuster is gone here in Dallas.
    CC is pretty empty too. BB has killed CC around here.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2008
    The blockbuster stores around here don't seem nearly as busy as they once were, but it does seem like many have taken to their rent by mail system. I myself am a big fan of it.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2008
    Try Netflix, you'll never go back to BB.

I stuck with Blockbuster for quite a while because of the in-store exchange system, but they just absolutely refuse to pay attention to your queue order, and their selection wasn't as good as Netflix, and their website is horrid to deal with.

I tried Netflix and never looked back.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited April 2008
    Netflix kicks serious **** in online rental ring.
    I like it when a small, upstart of a company can beat out the big boys.
    And believe me everyone from Blockbuster to Walmart was gunning for them.

-Luc

bobman1235 wrote: »

I stuck with Blockbuster for quite a while because of the in-store exchange system, but they just absolutely refuse to pay attention to your queue order, and their selection wasn't as good as Netflix, and their website is horrid to deal with.

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited April 2008
    I have always liked Circuit City. I don't buy much in the way of electronics from them, but I do like their DVD selection and prices way....better than Bestbye.

-Luc
    F1nut wrote: »
    I wish them the best of success, you should too.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »

I have tried Netflix but I much prefer Blockbuster. Blockbuster is every bit as quick and I love the in-store exchange. Plus I'm a fan of the monthly coupons for free game rentals.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • bobman1235
    edited April 2008
    Fair enough. I don't game; avoiding going to the store was the exact reason I got the mail service to being with; and as for speed, Blockbuster and Netflix were identical with speed, the difference was Blockbuster would send me A RANDOM DVD from my queue, whereas Netflix actually sends me the TOP DVD from my queue.

Throw in the fact that Netflix costs significantly less, and... sold.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited April 2008
    The only reason I don't want to see CC crash, is because the OTHER BB has already put Tweeter on life support. And the HH Greggs around the corner is always empty.
    I think Best Buy is turning into the electronic Walmart.
    I just Tweeter would pull their heads out of their asses, andgo back to what they were 20+ years ago: HIGH END! Instead, they're trying to compete w/ the other 3
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2008
    Anybody here rent from Redbox?

I can reserve the movie (for 24 hours) online. Got do the Redbox vending machine down the street, swipe my card get the movie. Cost is $1/day. You can also walk up to the machine, swipe your card, get the movie. They have the major new releases. You also don't have to return it to the same machine you rented it from. Give it to a friend at work, the watch the movie and drop it at a machine of their convenience.
    Carl

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2008
    Biggest benefit to redbox is that you can rent a movie and watch on a plane, and drop it off across the country........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2008
    brettw22 wrote: »
    Biggest benefit to redbox is that you can rent a movie and watch on a plane, and drop it off across the country........

I haven't done that yet, but hell yes! That a big bonus.
    Carl

• Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2008
    When my wife decided we were going to buy plasma, I probably spent 2 hrs over 3 days in CC looking at their plasma's, comparing the pics with one I was looking at at Costco. During that time frame not one salesman asked me if he could help me.

No wonder they're on their last legs.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited April 2008
    Were you wearing pants this time? ^^^
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited April 2008
    love redbox, 1 buck love it
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2008
    Were you wearing pants this time? ^^^

I think I was
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.