Is a centre channel a good idea?

black magic
black magic Posts: 669
edited April 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys,

I've been MIA for a while because school was in the way :mad:

Anyways, I'm contemplating getting a centre channel when I buy a processor (hopefully in the summer). I was thinking about using the sr5250 diver and tweeter and mounting them in the dash.

I haven't seen many SQ setups with a centre channel, thats why I'm wondering. :confused:
Post edited by black magic on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2008
    Ive never seen a SQ system with a center channel personally. Mostly the guys that use those are the ones with 5.1 systems setup for movies and such. Unless youre putting together one of those, stick with good ole 2 channel.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2008
    I've seen a couple SQ cars with em that sounded pretty good. Sometimes, it can help raise your sound stage and localize instrumentation, but then again, none of the big dawgs do it, so that should tell you something right there.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2008
    I think the JBL processor is supposed to have something that will drive a true center channel (i.e. not a speaker running mono off a stereo amp) with left only and right only sounds filtered out. Thats the only way to do a center channel effectively and have it actually enhance the soundstage as opposed to skewing it.

Cody - Let me guess, all the SQ cars youve seen with center channels have been USACi cars right? That must be the first thing they teach the judges in USACi. The 3 shows I went to, the only "pointer" that the judge gave me was, "you should get a center channel".
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2008
    2 usaci, 1 iasca. In all fairness, I hardly ever go to anything besides usaci events though, because around here, all the big shows are usaci.
    -Cody
  • black magic
    edited April 2008
    That what I was thinking - that it'd raise your sound stage... because my speakers are close to the ground.

If its a centre channel, I thought that it wouldn't be skewed either left or right, since it has its own output?
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited April 2008
    wouldnt it depend on how u connect it though? like mac said that processor has its own chan for a center chan... it seems if u used for example a splitter, u would cross signals and not get the correct stage... i could be way off.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • black magic
    edited April 2008
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2008
    A center channel playing a mono signal from a combined left and right source will screw up your stage and possibly cause some cancellation.

Im not sure how the Alpine feeds a center channel from 2 channel sources. I dont think it puts out a signal - left only and - right only. If it doesnt it will skew your stage.

If youre looking to raise your soundstage, a good set of tweeters in the A pillars will do that just fine.

If youre wanting the proper stage with center image where it should be, you can either get the perfect stage for the drivers seat with time alignment or for both seats by speaker placement and getting the pathlength difference to as close to equal as possible.....which is VERY hard to do.

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2008
    With the Alpine 701 you can run stereo sources as Pro Logic II, and adjust how "hot" the center channel is. We've tried it in a few cars over the years and it's interesting but most of the time I prefer stereo. If you leave it in stereo mode, but have a digital DVD source (like maybe the unit you mentioned above), the Alpine will switch automatically to Dolby Digital or DTS when you put a movie in. But stereo sources will still play in stereo.

I'm anxiously awaiting that JBL processor- it sounds very cool. If it ever comes out. :)
  • exalted512
    edited April 2008
    Thom wrote: »
    If it ever comes out. :)

I'm not holding my breath anytime soon:p
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2008
    I know there are some prototypes out there. Biggs was competing with it last season in his/JBL's BMW.

• black magic
    edited April 2008
    Thom wrote: »
    With the Alpine 701 you can run stereo sources as Pro Logic II, and adjust how "hot" the center channel is. We've tried it in a few cars over the years and it's interesting but most of the time I prefer stereo. If you leave it in stereo mode, but have a digital DVD source (like maybe the unit you mentioned above), the Alpine will switch automatically to Dolby Digital or DTS when you put a movie in. But stereo sources will still play in stereo.

I'm anxiously awaiting that JBL processor- it sounds very cool. If it ever comes out. :)

Thats cool, thanks for the info. I don't think I'll be getting one anymore. Maybe in the future though, just for fun :D