Concerning the Polk Forum....

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,984
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
There has been talk lately about the search function not being the most user friendly around town and the fact that new members are consistently asking the same questions over and over again.

Would the mods and the administrators be opposed to the members organizing a list of frequently asked questions, and either having a Polk representative answer the questions and/or have the veteran members choose the most appropriate answer?

I realize that this is Sunday and I may not get an answer today or within the next week, but with this thread I would like to offer some examples of the questions that come up often [hint, hint...;)].

I wouldn't mind helping to organize a FAQ and associated answer [area] if you aren't opposed. If it is ok with you, it has been proposed that the PF makes the FAQ/answers a sticky or a thread, or whatever you choose so that new members have the FAQ's answered and the veteran members can provide a link to where they can get their learn on.

Some examples of the FAQ's would be, "How much power do I need to properly drive an LSi speaker?"

"How do I repair a dust cover on a woofer that's been pushed in?"...........
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by treitz3 on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2008
    I feel stupid not thinking of this idea. Its a good one. We have to be careful to stay away from recommending blanket statements, but educating consumers with what to look for in amp specs, setup, placement of speakers. A lot of this info is in the manuals, but a lot seems to be missing. An addendum would be nice if it was included with the owners manual. Especially with the LSI lineup.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,448
    edited April 2008
    This place would get very boring, real quick without answering the same questions over and over again. Look at it as our duty as active senior members to answer newbie questions and guide them down the road to audio bliss. Besides, what in the world makes you think a newbie could find this FAQ thread in the first place? They can't find the search function as it is now.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited April 2008
    Another thought on the matter. By a newbie asking questions they get to know us and we get to know them.......you know, interaction, conversation...that thing.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    Another thought on the matter. By a newbie asking questions they get to know us and we get to know them.......you know, interaction, conversation...that thing.

;););) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2008
    I think the FAQ section is a good idea because it offers a more efficient way to help newbies. Of course, the newbies will always have tons of questions like, "Which speakers should I buy?", so I don't think we need to worry about less interaction on the board.

There's no downside here. Most informational websites have FAQ, so we're accustomed to going there first. A FAQ section would be beneficial to newbies, veteran Polkies, and ultimately to corporate Polk. This is a slam dunk, fellas.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2008
    F1nut wrote: »

Ed Zachry.

Nice posts Jesse. Put the one prior into the 'what have you done for Polk lately' category.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited April 2008
    Nevermind. I just discovered my suggestions are ALREADY in the 'education' of the site.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited April 2008
    Great effort on your part Tom to try and make things a little different. As much as I tend to be annoyed at some of the repetitive posts, F1 and RuSs are correct. If we had an FAQ many of the topics would be taken way out of context and it then becomes a do's and dont's type list. Audio is subjective and there are no hard and fast rules that apply to everyone in every situation. So opening a dialog and discussion, relating experiences and POV's is the best way.

I just wish people would take the time to ask more intelligent and more throughly thought out questions that pertain to their specific situation rather than the simple 2 sentence general blanket type questions.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2008
    That thread should not miss the most "Frequent answer", even when not asked:

"add a cap to the SL2000's to make them sound good"

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2008
    What the hell has gotten into Jesse??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2008
    Nice thoughts F1

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2008
    TroyD wrote: »

BDT

you mean grumpy? I dunno
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited April 2008
    Jesse's happy because BMW is in the lead for the Constructors Championship after three races for the F1 season right now... j/k.

Go KIMI! :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2008
    After reading some of the conduct lately, overall, you want Polk to help you with something? LOL

Answering questions and being friendly to new people is what this place is for, hopefully it'll catch on at some point.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2008
    I call dibs!
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited April 2008
    How many of you knew that most of your concerns are already on the site??.....

http://www.polkaudio.com/education/question.php

http://www.polkaudio.com/education/showanswer.php?question_num=46

http://www.polkaudio.com/education/article.php?id=4

Personally, I think the info already covers the bases, it just isn't easy to find.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • danger boy
    edited April 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Answering questions and being friendly to new people is what this place is for, hopefully it'll catch on at some point.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! ROTFLMAO :p
  • Early B.
    edited April 2008
    How many of you knew that most of your concerns are already on the site??.....

http://www.polkaudio.com/education/question.php

http://www.polkaudio.com/education/showanswer.php?question_num=46

http://www.polkaudio.com/education/article.php?id=4

Personally, I think the info already covers the bases, it just isn't easy to find.

Gee, I wasn't aware of (or maybe I forgot about) the education section. Seems like a lot of the work has already been done, so let's make it easier for newbies to link to it so they can get their education on. There's no argument here.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    There is the big word "Education" at the top of the website, that turns into a drop down menu containing the word "FAQ". It probably wouldn't hurt for a couple questions to be in there.

Do we need Flavor Flav to guide folks to that like the paperclip in Microsoft Word? Perhaps we should add a giant foam finger to the phrase "Our Technology" or even better, a big rubber dong pointing to "More".
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited April 2008
    Here's one. What happened to the Tasteful Babe Thread? It's what every new member should know.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • Early B.
    edited April 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    There is the big word "Education" at the top of the website, that turns into a drop down menu containing the word "FAQ".

Do we need Flavor Flav to guide folks to that like the paperclip in Microsoft Word? Perhaps we should add a giant foam finger to the phrase "Our Technology" or even better, a big rubber dong pointing to "More".

You missed the point. How often do we direct newbies to the Education section for answers to their questions? Should we? And if we should, how can we help in enhancing the Education section to make it more useful and user friendly so we don't keep repeating ourselves? I think that's what the OP had in mind.

• dorokusai
    edited April 2008
    Yea, I missed the point....you got me.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2008
    TroyD wrote: »

BDT

I'm ok, just a momentary lapse of reason. :p

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    edited April 2008
    Interaction, communication....yeah, I know what you are saying. I thought about that, but you know that they are gonna come back with more questions like "what's this gold thing that's supposed to be in-between the binding posts? Is it needed?"...."oh, now I understand"....."Yeah, I hear what you are saying but there is no way a wire can be better than a gold plate when transferring wattage"....."What? I bi-wire, there's no need to bi-amp!"....That kind of thing, ya' know?

Hey, if it can help...good. If it's a bad idea, eh... it was worth the question to ask...and Russ, who in the hell is Ed Zachary?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Ed Zachary?
    Say it out loud to yourself.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • treitz3
    edited April 2008
    Ah-so.