E85 Fuel!

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
So then folks, what about this e85 fuel thing going around. I am in the Dallas Texas area and the local krogers carry it. Claims up to 105 octane and average 20 cents less then regular unleaded. Anyone have any thoughts on this alternative fuel or experience with it? I believe the newer vehicles out there support this type of fuel.

Halen
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2008
    I have an E85 vehicle but the station isn't very close, so I wouldn't call it convenient yet. I'm not aware of that price difference but might have to look into it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    About $.20 to $.40 cents difference depending on whether your in IA or IL. I use it in my truck during the summer. I lose about 2 mpg when running it. It's a feel good measure on my part, it's not the answer to our energy problems.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited April 2008
    It's only about 70% as efficient as gasoline. I had a rental truck with a flex-fuel engine and the mileage went way down when using E85.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited April 2008
    Exactly you pay less per gallon but get worse mileage.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited April 2008
    In addition to a 20%-30% drop in gas mileage, it is also much harder on your vehicle and forces you to use the "severe service" maint. schedule for your vehicle.

Personally - if it was 2/3 the cost of regular gas - I would go for it. (that would require about $1.10 cheaper round here now a days) Based on a $0.10 to $0.20 per gallon savings, just not worth it at all.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited April 2008
    I was wondering about the E85 my self. From what I have read in this thread it all makes perfect sense.

I am assuming the E stands for Ethanol. Which is alcohol. Correct?

If so. The reason you would be losing gas mileage would be cause it is so much thinner then regular gasoline. You have to use a lot more to create the same volume as gasoline. I don't see where the consumer would save money going this route but I could see where it would be better for the environment. Alcohol burns much cleaner than regular gasoline.

We was thinking of switching to Alcohol for the race car because it was almost half the price of race gas. But after we found out you would be using twice as much it didn't make sense to switch.
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited April 2008
    nikolas812 wrote: »
    The reason you would be losing gas mileage would be cause it is so much thinner then regular gasoline. You have to use a lot more to create the same volume as gasoline.

i think you meant that it is thinner/lighter so you need to use more of it to get the same weight.

Payton
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited April 2008
    sophie wrote: »
    i think you meant that it is thinner/lighter so you need to use more of it to get the same weight.

Payton

I thought thats what I said??:confused:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,693
    edited April 2008
    It's not just the density of the fuel per se, but the energy content. Gasoline is (to a good approximation) pure hydrocarbon (CH3(CH2)nCH3, so to speak), so the 'latent' content of energy to be released by combustion (i.e., reaction with oxygen to form CO2 and H2O) is very high. Ethanol is already partially oxygenated, so to speak (CH3CH2OH), so there's less energy to be extracted by combustion.

Kerosene/Diesel fuel/jet fuel is a higher energy fuel than gasoline because it's denser (and the hydrocarbon chain lengths are longer).
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited April 2008
    I did a 5,000 mile trial of E10 in our 2001 Town & Country 3.8L-engined minivan and compared it to regular "non-ethanol" gasoline - I got 6% less miles per gallon (18.15 vs. 19.33). So over the trial period I had to buy an extra 15 gallons of E10 (an entire tankful) over the regular gasoline amount to go the same distance. So even though the E10 was (at that time) 8 cents cheaper, I saved $18.50 using regular non-E10 gas over the same distance.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2008
    isn't E10 standard stuff? It's in all the gas stations around here...I assumed the E10 was just run of the mill gasoline.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2008
    I've had a few friends run it in their vehicles. Once they calculated the fuel mileage vs. the "savings" at the pump, they went back to standard unleaded.

IMO its almost a total waist of time and money.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited April 2008
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    isn't E10 standard stuff? It's in all the gas stations around here...I assumed the E10 was just run of the mill gasoline.
    We still have non-ethanol gas available in Nebraska. 87 and 91 octane is regular gasoline and the 89 octane has 10% ethanol.
  • Neskahi
    Neskahi Posts: 297
    edited April 2008
    The ethanol is causing many problems in the marine industry. Apparently it loosens old
    deposits in fuel tanks, clogging things up. The jury is still out on ethanol, and the source it comes from. That being FOOD[corn] and SUBSIDIZED by our tax dollars. All that I've read
    indicates none of these ethanol plants would even be remotely profitable without huge
    subsidies. Just a "feel good" energy policy to satisfy the extreme greenies and line the pockets of those in the know.
    SDA 2.3/RDO's... xovers by Ben
    SDA 2.3TL/Stock..
    SDA 1C/Solens/RDO's [gave to my Uncle]
    SDA 2B RDO's
    Snell Type CV
    SDA 1.2TL's
    GFA7700 Adcom
    GFP750 Adcom
    TFM55X Carver
    M90 Pioneer/C90 Pre
    M91 x 2 Pioneers/C91 Pre
    Yaqin MC10l
    DCD-1520/1560/2560 Denon
    Marantz DVD-8400
    Carver m1.5T
    DV-79avi Pioneer
    TFM35X x 2
  • Neskahi
    Neskahi Posts: 297
    edited April 2008
    Not normally political but this one is a no brainer.
    SDA 2.3/RDO's... xovers by Ben
    SDA 2.3TL/Stock..
    SDA 1C/Solens/RDO's [gave to my Uncle]
    SDA 2B RDO's
    Snell Type CV
    SDA 1.2TL's
    GFA7700 Adcom
    GFP750 Adcom
    TFM55X Carver
    M90 Pioneer/C90 Pre
    M91 x 2 Pioneers/C91 Pre
    Yaqin MC10l
    DCD-1520/1560/2560 Denon
    Marantz DVD-8400
    Carver m1.5T
    DV-79avi Pioneer
    TFM35X x 2
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2008
    Neskahi wrote: »
    Not normally political but this one is a no brainer.

I understand your concern about the ethanol being considered political, but because of the fact that there are

MORONS

on both sides of the aisle who are promoting corn-based ethanol, it really isn't political in the "Take-Sides" sense.

If there is one truism in life, if there is one thing that you can rely on as being a set-in-stone and take-it-to-the-bank fact it is this:

CORN-BASED ETHANOL IS A BAD IDEA 6 WAYS TO SUNDAY
    Sal Palooza
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2008
    Neskahi wrote: »
    The ethanol is causing many problems in the marine industry. Apparently it loosens old
    deposits in fuel tanks, clogging things up. The jury is still out on ethanol, and the source it comes from. That being FOOD[corn] and SUBSIDIZED by our tax dollars. All that I've read
    indicates none of these ethanol plants would even be remotely profitable without huge
    subsidies. Just a "feel good" energy policy to satisfy the extreme greenies and line the pockets of those in the know.

This is correct. I am in the marine industry and there is currently a lawsuit against the oil companies for not telling boat owners that they switched some of the additives and caused massive engine failures. E85 can work, the problem is that no one wants to pay more, and it is a nightmare with the farm subsidies and all that. Biodiesel is a better solution as algea grows everywhere.
    Venom
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited April 2008
    From the little I've read; long term damage can occur if used in an automobile not specifically built to run E-85. Since E-85 has a very high alcohol content it can damage parts in the fuel system which means they *could* wear out sooner.

I don't see the advantage to running E-85 and I wonder how an engine designed to run on 87 octane runs on 105 octane. Sure the ECU can compensate up to a point but that's quite a gap. I would think lower compression engines might have an issue with 105 octane rating.

Again, I would never run it in a car that wasn't approved form the manufacturer so maybe I'm talking out my a** since I haven't looked beyond a couple superficial articles on the subject. I have no interest in running it in my car.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited April 2008
    This is what I was referring to when I stated E-85 should only be used in an approved E-85 vehicle

E-85 ethanol is used in engines modified to accept higher concentrations of ethanol. Such flexible-fuel vehicles (FFV) are designed to run on any mixture of gasoline or ethanol with up to 85% ethanol by volume. There are a few major differences between FFVs and non-FFVs. One is the elimination of bare magnesium, aluminum, and rubber parts in the fuel system. Another is that fuel pumps must be capable of operating with electrically conductive ethanol instead of non-conducting dielectric gasoline fuel are used. Fuel injection control systems have a wider range of pulse widths to inject approximately 40% more fuel. Stainless steel fuel lines, sometimes lined with plastic, and stainless steel fuel tanks in place of terne fuel tanks are used. In some cases, FFVs use acid-neutralizing motor oil. For vehicles with fuel-tank mounted fuel pumps, additional differences to prevent arcing, as well as flame arrestors positioned in the tank's fill pipe, are also sometimes used.

Also this explains why regular automobiles (not designed specifically for the use of E85) have lower mpg, etc.

One complication is that use of gasoline in an engine with a high enough compression ratio to use E-85 efficiently would likely result in catastrophic failure due to engine detonation, as the octane rating of gasoline is not high enough to withstand the greater compression ratios in use in an engine specifically designed to run on E-85. Use of E-85 in an engine designed specifically for gasoline would result in a loss of the potential efficiency that it is possible to gain with this fuel. Using E-85 in a gasoline engine has the drawback of achieving lower fuel economy as more fuel is needed per unit air (stoichiometric fuel ratio) to run the engine in comparison with gasoline. E-85, 85% Ethanol by volume, also has a lower heating value (units of energy per unit mass) than gasoline leading to a reduction in power output in a gasoline engine. E85 consumes more fuel in flex fuel type vehicles because of its lower stoichiometric fuel ratio and lower heating value. So in order to save money at the pump with a flex fuel vehicle the price of E85 must be much lower than gasoline.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited April 2008
    The only real soultion I see is hydrogen fuel cells. Unfortunantly, until a distribution system can be set up, it's just not practicle.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2008
    The only real soultion I see is hydrogen fuel cells. Unfortunantly, until a distribution system can be set up, it's just not practicle.
    It's hard to get excited about driving around with a tank full of (liquified) hydrogen in my car. Remember the Hindenburg?

Another is that fuel pumps must be capable of operating with electrically conductive ethanol instead of non-conducting dielectric gasoline fuel are used.

Speaking of the Hindenburg... :-O
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2008
    Tesla-Roadster.jpg

Supposedly - 220 miles on a charge and the battery lasts for 100,000 miles. Granted this is a $100,000 car...but if they can do it...GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota etc....can do it cost effectively. Use hydrogen and nuclear power to generate electricity and tell the oil cartels to kiss our ****. Clears up some of the air quality issues as well.

Works for me.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited April 2008
    My feelings exactly shack. My issue is that all the vehicles of now-a-days require a specific fuel source; gas, diesel, E85, CNG, propane, hydrogen, etc. That limits the availability of the fuel as well as how much it costs to produce it. However, you can produce electricity in many ways, so the "fuel" for an electric car is not limited to a single source. So in practice, the "fuel" for your electric car comes from solar, nuclear, hydro, coal, or any other source, instead of just from gasoline. Just thinking about it in those terms put it in perspective for me that E85 is just another dead end.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2008
    e85 is worthless. Not only is it more harmful to your engine, it costs more to make than gas, and gets you less mileage. 'til you get done farming, processing, and then burning it, you've introduced a larger "carbon footprint" than if you'd just sucked some black stuff out of the ground and lit it on fire.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2008
    If there is one truism in life, if there is one thing that you can rely on as being a set-in-stone and take-it-to-the-bank fact it is this:

CORN-BASED ETHANOL IS A BAD IDEA 6 WAYS TO SUNDAY

WHAT??? How could taking a huge chunk of a major source of food, sweeteners, animal feed, alcohol, etc, etc, and using it to produce a gasoline alternative that costs more to make than gas, is less efficient than gas, polutes more than gas...and by doing so increases the price of everything from corn meal, milk and New York Strip steak at a rate faster than the price of gas increases be a bad thing? :confused::confused::confused: It's not like a major Midwest drought could effect the supply of that fuel source more than a disruption of a mideast supply source. How could such an idea be bad...cause it is renewable...isn't it...and not really needed for that other stuff...like food? Isn't it?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2008
    And petroleum-based fertilizers/herbicides/pesticides are necessary to produce corn, well ....

..... yeah, but if I invest in corn futures, won't I make money ? And won't that be a good thing for ME ?

;)

If not algae based alcohol, at least use something better than corn for production: HEMP.
    Sal Palooza
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2008
    I think the issue with hydrogen is that hydrogen doesn't exist in the atmosphere all by it's lonesom so the best way to get it is off of large hydrocarbons like oil...I think.

I think I read stripping it off water wasn't an economical way to go.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2008
    Nope, it's made by electrolysis of water:

2H2O -> 2H2 +O2

When you burn it, it goes back again.
    2H2 + O2 -> 2H2O

That's what the Hindenburg did.
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2008
    I know you can electrolysize water to get hydrogen but whatever I read said that wasn't the best way to go about it and didn't yield the kind of results we'd need to power a nation's cars on hydrogen.

I don't really know if that's true anymore, someone may have found a better way to do it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited April 2008
    E85 fuel, it is only to be used with flex fuel engines, and it stops there nothing more to it. The owners of vehicles that does support E85, how do you like it. Several hundred miles testing does not dictate much. Several more months and I will have my own input on it.