Arkansas Camping Trip - Any Suggestions?

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
We're headed up to Arkansas next week for a few days of camping. Yeah there are probably better places to go, but we're just looking to get away for a few days and it's reasonably close living in Dallas.

We've been to DeGray Lake before and it was nice, and took a trip through part of the Wachita National Forest, but that's about it. Is there a more mountainous region of Arkansas, or is that area my best bet?

We're thinking of heading up to Petit Jean State Park for a few days this time, but nothing is set in stone yet so if any of you guys know a better place let me know.

What about the Ozark National Forest, anything to see there?

Other than the obvious "Don't piss off the wildlife" and "Try not to make eye contact with the locals" comments, you guys have any ideas or tips.
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2008
    My advice?

Stay in a nice hotel.

These days my idea of roughing it is a hotel without room service.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited April 2008
    Up in the northwest part of the state is an area called "Devils Den". That was a great area for camping and a lot of friends and myself used to go there. There are many cool places in the state to go besides there, too, but you have to get around the late areas or in the Ozarks for the best scenery...especially this time of year.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2008
    So the ozarks hould be on my list then? I don't think that's too far north of petit jean
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    If you hear a banjo, run.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited April 2008
    Mammoth Springs (north central) is gorgeous. It's right on the border of Missouri. I don't know any of the campgrounds, as I always stayed with relatives, but I'm sure they exist.

Lots of twisty roads, next to large cliffs- no guard rails,......to weed out the dumb ones (as the locals say).:D
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited April 2008
    Mountain Home area is beautiful. Really can't go wrong in the NW part of the state in general.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited April 2008
    ND13 wrote: »
    Mountain Home area is beautiful. Really can't go wrong in the NW part of the state in general.

Yeah, that.:D
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2008
    Good tips, looks like I need to change my plans up a bit then and spend a couple days in the nw region as well
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited April 2008
    FYI, due to flooding several of the state parks are closed. DeGray is one of them and the Buffalo River is raging. Petit Jean is beautiful this time of year, as is Eureka Springs. A place to visit in the Ozark National Forest is Blanchard Springs Caverns and, if you like crafts, Mountain View has the Ozark Folk Center.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2008
    I'm partial to the northwest and north-central areas, but as mentioned above, all the rain has made a mess in several of the state parks. Devil's Den south of Fayetteville is nice, and a drive up Hwy 23 is always pretty this time of year. Buffalo river area is hard to beat for scenery. Mountain View and Blanchard Springs are nice, but I'll bet the lower level of the cavern is closed due to water.

One place you wouldn't have to worry about the high water is the newest state park on top of Mt. Magazine. It's right in my backyard. It's a nice getaway if you like to hike or just take in the sights and relax. I'm not sure if you could get a room at the Lodge or a cabin, but there are lots of campgrounds. You are, however, relatively isolated from any larger cities, so there's not much in the way of resturants, shopping, etc., in the area. Paris is the nearest "city" and it's about 3500 people. We do have a Wal-Mart and at least one pretty decent resturant.

I don't have any springtime-on-Mt. Magazine, pictures on my computer here at work, but here's a couple of fall pictures.

[IMG][/img]IMG_0089.jpg
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0083smaller.jpg[IMG][/img]IMG_0094.jpg[IMG][/img]IMG_0087.jpg[IMG][/img]IMG_0088.jpg
  • jmwest1970
    edited April 2008
    Great pics jcaut! I've got similar pics of Petit Jean. I haven't been up to Mt. Magazine yet, but I've always wanted to visit the highest elevation in Arkansas. Too bad the Buffalo is so high, normally this would be prime time for rafting.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2008
    Thanks!

The Lodge and stuff that they built up there is really something to see. It's like it's just perched up there in the middle of nowhere. For me, as someone who has lived here most of my life, I have mixed feelings about the development of the top of the mountain and the increase in tourism: I guess it's good for the area economically, or at least I hope it will turn out that way in the long run. And we need that, for sure. BUT.. When I was in high school I could drive up there, hike around on those bluffs, admire the natural beauty of the area and the wildlife etc., AND feel like I was the only one around. It was almost like our own little secret spot, and in several ways it was prettier than it is now. Now there are places you can't go (you might fall off that bluff), times you can't be in certain places- We've gone commercial and I don't necessarily like the trade-off.

But I'm rambling off-topic I guess.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2008
    I think we're going to do petit jean for a couple days and Mt Magazine for a couple days, thanks for the tips guys
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited April 2008
    Too bad the Buffalo is running hard. Usually you can make a nice easy canoe trip. Lots of places rent canoes and will drop you off and pick you up down river.

I also agree with the Mountain Home area. I also like Eureka Springs. I don't do much camping up that way but usually stop and walk around town. I like to look at all the local artist stuff.

I'm sure you'll have a good time wherever you decide,
    Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • BrettT1
    BrettT1 Posts: 560
    edited April 2008
    My wife and I went here last year..

http://www.whiterivercabins.com/

The place was clean, no one around and the scenery was great. I'd like to return someday. We rented a canoe and floated the White river. Have fun.

Brett
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    If you hear a banjo, run.

Now,,that was funny,,,, and you beat me to it:D
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Gadabout
    edited April 2008
    Considering Deliverance was set in and shot in Georgia. I think I would be more nervous there than Arkansas.

From Wikipedia - Deliverance

Four Atlanta men — Lewis, Ed, Bobby, and Drew — (played by Reynolds, Voight, Beatty and Cox, respectively) decide to canoe down the fictional Cahulawassee River in the remote Georgia wilderness
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2008
    Is there anything specific in Mountain Home you'd reccoment?
  • Gadabout
    edited April 2008
    I guess I'm partial to the area because of the Bull Shoals - White River Sate Park

Growing up out west I spent most of my youth and a good portion of my summers later in life fly fishing. The cold clear water in the area is one of the few places around I can still do that (Now that I live in Texas). You might be able to give that a try if the water isn't too high yet.

The trails in the area are pretty tame, but are enjoyable.

Since your headed to Arkansas for camping, you might see if there is any GeoCaching going on in the areas your going to. Good way to spend part of the day if you have a handheld GPS.

While not really on the way to Mountain Home, we have also spent a day at Mount Ida, digging for quartz. Plenty of campgrounds close by and right by lake Ouachita.

Don't know if that helps much, but I always enjoy the Mountain Home Area, mainly because of the fishing.
  • jmwest1970
    edited April 2008
    Gadabout wrote: »
    I guess I'm partial to the area because of the Bull Shoals - White River Sate Park

Bull Shoals is way up there. The Corp of Engineers opened the emergency floodgates Saturday. Along with the Norfork gates being open, the White River is near or above it's 100 year flood level, and has been for more than 2 weeks.
    Gadabout wrote: »
    Since your headed to Arkansas for camping, you might see if there is any GeoCaching going on in the areas your going to. Good way to spend part of the day if you have a handheld GPS.

Geocaching is a big thing around these parts. There are a few sites related:

Geocaching in Arkansas
    State of Arkansas Geocache page
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2008
    Eureka Springs - spend a day there - SHE will love it. Trust me. There is also a Tiger rescue / refuge place not far from there, that's a cool walk through.

Don't forget Hope, a tour of the Klipsch museam is always a nice cap to an Arkansas trip.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2008
    Museam??

You illiterate dork.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2008
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2008
    We are on 40 now about an hour west of ft smithm. There aint jack **** out here, but my cell and aircard still work fine...

We are gonna start at mt magazine and figure it oyr from there
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2008
    Ha!!!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited April 2008
    I would tell you to come over to the east side of the state, but since you have seen the plethora of sites in eastern oklahoma, I don't think you would be gaining much :)

However, if you do make it close to the Memphis area, let me know. There are things to do over here as well.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2008
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,448
    edited April 2008
    Arkansas Camping Trip - Any Suggestions?

Yeah, pack heat.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2008
    a buddy of mine always goes to Beaver Lake and talks about how crystal clear it is... might want to look into it.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2008
    I hear Beaver Lake is only open to cousins.