dkg999 Is "dadude"!!!

daboyz
daboyz Posts: 5,207
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
Doug dropped by the crib last night and brought me my first set of SDA's with him.:D We found out at the last RAS get together that one of the drivers were bad. He ordered two of them and brought them with. Popped the bad out,new in and woohoo off and running. They sounded great!!

We chatted a bit and he "gave" 'em to me for the cost of the two drivers.
I feel like I stole them from him. He says there's some damage to them somewhere so that's why he reduced the price. I still have yet to find it.

I actually got a little session with them a little later and was blown away. I found the sweet spot and just sat there with a beer mesmerized.:)

Doug has been like my audio store since we met and alwys takes care of me.
Just thought I'd let everyone know what an awesome guy Doug is and thank him again for the 2A's.

Dave

P.S.

I borrowed one of his preamps so I need a little help finding another one. I don't want to get on his bad side by keeping it 15 years.;)
Post edited by daboyz on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,984
    edited April 2008
    Good deal. Gotta love the brotherhood. Enjoy Daboyz
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2008
    I would check inside those speakers for recording devices ASAP.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    The SDA's were in a little rougher shape than I thought when we got them out of the boxes! One box had picked up some water damage that had got into the MDF on one of the bases. The grills were also a little worse than I remembered. Over my years in this hobby many people have given me very good deals on gear. In the spirit of Club Polk, I prefer to pass it on to others. I'm glad DaBoyz is enjoying them, I have to admit they sounded damn fine when we got them up and running!

The "15 years" reference was due to DaBoyz wanting to borrow the pre, and I told him he could keep it for as long as he needed, but not forever! I made the same offer without the "can't keep it forever" qualification on a Bryston pre I loaned to another friend about 15 years ago. I love to listen to that Bryston pre everytime I visit him and his family :o
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • daboyz
    edited April 2008
    Oh, I moved the wire and that little "issue" went away. It's like I've always said,there's a lot of fine folk on this site.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited April 2008
    Doug rocks!!! Finally another SDA addict in our little local group. Those have the stellar RD0's in them as well. Nobody called me :p;)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • daboyz
    edited April 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Doug rocks!!! Finally another SDA addict in our little local group. Those have the stellar RD0's in them as well. Nobody called me :p;)

H9

Sorry,we thought you were golfing.;)
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    Not yet. Soon, very soon. I don't like to pay when the courses aren't even groomed and prepped yet. It's not any fun either. I can wait.

So Dave, how do you like those 2A's?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited April 2008
    Congratulations!

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited April 2008
    Doug...a dude??

Dunno.....but I hear he wears ****-less chaps and hangs out in biker bars.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    tonyb wrote: »
    Doug...a dude??

Dunno.....but I hear he wears ****-less chaps and hangs out in biker bars.

That's only on Sundays :p
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    I just want to state officially for the record, I have never worn assless chaps :eek:

Even when large chunks of residue from the '70's kick loose in my bloodstream, I never have the urge to wear assless chaps :o
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • daboyz
    edited April 2008
    Someone got pics?
  • daboyz
    edited April 2008
    Brock,

The 2A's are awesome!! It is really the first time where I have owned speaks that have given me that "wow" factor. The Rti8's don't give you the separation and overall two channel quality that an SDA can give. I liked Aaron's LSI's but these are a whole different world from those.
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    daboyz wrote: »
    Brock,

The 2A's are awesome!! It is really the first time where I have owned speaks that have given me that "wow" factor. The Rti8's don't give you the separation and overall two channel quality that an SDA can give. I liked Aaron's LSI's but these are a whole different world from those.

You'll find the more time you spend with them it's VERY hard to go back to a conventional speaker. They are really incredible and nothing else sounds like them. Did you get that Adcom DAC? Are you running that too? What do you think of that piece?
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited April 2008
    Congrats Dave! Sounds like you've found yourself a temporary audio nirvana!
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    a_mattison wrote: »
    Congrats Dave! Sounds like you've found yourself a temporary audio nirvana!

Aaron good to see you posting. Shoot me a PM about Blackhawk Farms again as I accidentally deleted the other. That's coming up, right?

H9
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited April 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Aaron good to see you posting. Shoot me a PM about Blackhawk Farms again as I accidentally deleted the other. That's coming up, right?

H9

I just PM'd you. I've been traveling a ton lately for work and not had much time to keep up with things around here. (or listen to my LSi's much) I'm in the office all this week (finally) and then leave for Japan-Taiwan-Shanghai next week.

Dave! When can the rest of us hear your new rig? What do you have in the rest of that setup?
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • daboyz
    edited April 2008
    It's still a work in progress. I'm using Doug's Audcom as a pre,Adcom 545,and the Marantz CDP. I'm PM'ing George as we speak to get that DAC now that I sold my Carver.
    I'm trying to land a Dodd,Parasound or Nak pre.