life in the land of BDT

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
All,

Well, as some of you know, I'm going to Korea pretty soon...I fly out on 6 May at 0830 for 12 fun filled months in Korea.

That was all well and fine based on the assumption that I would be returning here to Charleston. Well, that doesn't seem to be the case. The closest I can get is Pope AFB in Fayetteville NC. I frigged up and got promoted and basically promoted myself out of a job. Not exactly what I had in mind....

Well, cutting to the chase, I have no intentions of uprooting Wendi from here for a number of reasons....work, family and healthcare primarily. I also have no intentions of staying in Fayetteville long term anyway.

What we have decided is that I'll commute on weekends....get an apartment in Fayetteville and come home on weekends (it's 210 miles...). Once I get to Pope, I've got 33 months until I can retire, so we'll suck it up the best that we can. Wonder how many times I'll pass The Shark going the other way on 95??

Anyway, I've got a LOT of **** to do the next couple of weeks so if I'm incommunicado, nothing personal, I'm just really busy. I've got a couple of deals outstanding which I will square away...but I just want everyone to know that if you don't get a response from me right away, please be patient as things are in flux for me for the next couple months.

Thanks!!

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited April 2008
    Good luck with everything, Troy!

My sister goes to (and plays soccer at) the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville so I've been up there a few times. It's actually a pretty nice place scenery-wise. Lot of hills and nice trees. Probably some fun stuff to do in the area as well with it being a big college town.

Anyway, safe travels to Korea and get home soon.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,448
    edited April 2008
    Life is suck.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2008
    wow.. Troy and Wendi best of luck in your situation... you're both good strong people.. things will work out in the long run. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited April 2008
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    Good luck with everything, Troy!

My sister goes to (and plays soccer at) the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville so I've been up there a few times. It's actually a pretty nice place scenery-wise. Lot of hills and nice trees. Probably some fun stuff to do in the area as well with it being a big college town.

Anyway, safe travels to Korea and get home soon.

Psst. He's headed to Fayetteville, North Carolina, not Arkansas. Don't worry though, you were only off by about 900 miles. You are correct though, Fayetteville, AR is a nice place.

Best of luck Troy, both overseas and when you return stateside.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    Troy - best of luck to you! I've done the weekly commute to a distant location to work during the week, and then back home on weekends. It gets old real fast, but now with email/cell phones you should be able to keep up the communication, and that's the important part. Any chance you can rent a room from someone? When I worked in CT during the week, returning to IA on weekends, I went to local churches with basically a resume and references and looked for sr citizens that would rent a spare room cheap to have someone their looking out after them, or wanted someone to stay in their house while they were away. Granted this was in the late '80's, but I had really good responses and offers.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,984
    edited April 2008
    TroyD wrote:
    I've got 33 months until I can retire
    Ah, the silver lining....
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2008
    Troy, sorry to hear that bro. When you are in Fayettville you are only 60 to 90 minutes away from me. So if you ever need anything dont hesitate to ask
  • TroyD
    edited April 2008
    Eh, it will all work out....I mean, we've done the long distance thing so while it sucks, it's doable.

Fayetteville NC is depressing. Army (no disrespect) towns usually are. I'll find a pad to live in from Mon-Fri. No roommates on my horizon. Screw that, I'm too old and set in my ways to put up with some other dickbump.

BDT
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited April 2008
    that sucks

doable, but sucks
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited April 2008
    TroyD wrote: »
    Eh, it will all work out....I mean, we've done the long distance thing so while it sucks, it's doable.

Fayetteville NC is depressing. Army (no disrespect) towns usually are. I'll find a pad to live in from Mon-Fri. No roommates on my horizon. Screw that, I'm too old and set in my ways to put up with some other dickbump.

BDT

Yeah. Try Jacksonville(USMC). That will make you feel good about
    Fayetteville.:D

Sounds less than ideal. 33 months is a stretch. But the extra retirement
    income from the promotion will help you forget this when the time comes.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2008
    I was in and out of Ft.Bragg for years and Fayetteville sucks, big time.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2008
    So let me make sure I got this right.............even when you come back your going to be MIA all week in another state and TLW ain't moving?????

Just to avoid any possible uncomfortable situations when you do come for your weekend visit would that be Friday night or Sat. morning???

RT1
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2008
    Just to avoid any possible uncomfortable situations when you do come for your weekend visit would that be Friday night or Sat. morning???

Hillarious
  • TroyD
    edited April 2008
    I'll be home Friday evening so you and George clear out by sunset and all will be cool.

'Preciate you guys paying the utilities too.

BDT
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2008
    I have him in during the spring and summer months to take care of the landscaping. I hope you don't mind. The only uncomfortable situation he's likely to see is if he mows his foot or something.

Jesse is right. Life IS suck.

Congrats on the promo. Personally, they're not as great as they're cracked up to be, but then nothing ever is.
  • TroyD
    edited April 2008
    Right on about the promotion. I could give a ****, the money isn't worth the hassle.

Long as I don't have to tend to the lawn, I'm ok with it.

BDT
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited April 2008
    Hey BDT,
    Where on the Rock are you headin'?
    Michael
    Osan Graduate - Class of 96-97
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2008
    Troy, I didn't know you live in Charleston? I was in there a couple of weeks ago, on biz, around River Landing. Could've buy you a couple of drinks..

Korea could be fun, not anywhere close to DMZ though.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • TroyD
    edited April 2008
    petrym wrote: »
    Hey BDT,
    Where on the Rock are you headin'?
    Michael
    Osan Graduate - Class of 96-97

Back to Osan, I was there 98-99

BDT
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2008
    Good Luck. My dad did that for us when we were growing up. Good show.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited April 2008
    Troy,
    I hope you have a great time in Korea. I hope it's nothing more than a year of playing staring contests to the North to see who blinks first, a year of great authentic Korean food (great stuff and probably the best of the Oriental cuisines) like bogogi, and a year of meeting some great people. I hope it's just a 12 month vacation and you can pick up some audio gear. Sure, it'll suck because it's still an assignment but I bet it's better than some of the mud holes you've been to.

Wish you well
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2008
    Grass ain't quite as green, huh? That's a ****. But the bright side is your one grade higher for that cushy government job when you punch out.

Be safe, Broham. I'll make sure to get the Brylcream and Pall Mall smell out...
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2008
    Best of luck & thoughts to you & yours Troy.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited April 2008
    Best of luck to you. It seems 33 months isn't that far off.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited April 2008
    Who's your detailer? Maybe your 'friends' up in Jersey could pay him a visit....at home.....at night!!!:mad:
    That SUCKS fat ones!
    My condolonces:(
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!