component speaker problems

osirus
osirus Posts: 4
edited April 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
i just recently purchased the polk audio db6501 6 1/2" component set for my 1999 volkswagen passat. i have a jvc head unit and i tried installing the system to an amplifier but the amp didnt work so i tried installing it to my factory door speaker wires. i hooked up one side first just to test it with the crossover. when i would turn the volume up it would sound distorted and unclear. so i took away the crossover and just hooked up the mid and tweeter. i ran into the same problem. the bass was turned all the way down and it still sounded distorted. just like one big tweeter with no sound quality. i dont know if its because i dont have both sides hooked up at the same time or what but any help would be apreciated. if there is a way to use the crossover without an amp would be very helpful. i was so excited when bought them bc polk products have such great sound quality only to be stressed out by this snag. if anybody has any advice please let me know. and if i hook it up to an amp that does work *L* do i hook it up to the regular speaker wire terminals, or to the special plug?
Post edited by osirus on

Comments

• tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited April 2008
    !STOP!

do not hook up tweeters to a full-range signal from your deck or amp. it will damage or destroy them!

if you had speakers in your door, you will find the factory wires there. test them first on an old speaker for signal. then connect your crossover to this as directed by the manual. then connect your polks to the crossover as directed.

turn on your deck at a low volume and listen. it should sound ok. if they dont, double check. if you still have problems and suspect they are defective. call your dealer and return them.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2008
    If it sounded like one big tweeter, is it possible that the wires youre hooking up to are for a factory tweeter? I know some cars have them and it could be crossed over somewhere up stream.

Try hooking up one of the mids directly to your JVC speaker outputs and see what it sounds like.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D