DFW polkies, everyone okay?

edbert
edbert Posts: 1,041
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
For those that don't know, DFW took a pretty big hit last night with some massive thunderstorms, up to 90mph straight line winds and possibly some small tornados. There is debris all around my house and we ended up with a lot of other peoples shingles in our yard and only a few sections of fence blew down. I can honestly say that was the most scared I have been since the big tornado ripped through OKC about 8 years ago. Hopefully everyone came through this relatively unharmed.
I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
Monitor 30's - surrounds
CS1 - center
PSW10 - I'll let you guess
Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
Sony Progressive scan DVD
XBOX

SOPA since 2008
Here's my stuff.
Post edited by edbert on

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2008
    Hope everyone is ok.
  • edbert
    edited April 2008
    I'll be curious to hear from Russman. He may still be without power. McKinney took it really hard as well. The reports are there were winds clocked by one guy at 87mph somewhere near the McKinney airport.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2008
    Positive thoughts for everyone.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited April 2008
    any word yet?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,448
    edited April 2008
    I saw Russ online in the wee hours last night. Hope everyone is ok.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• edbert
    edited April 2008
    Apparently they think there was actually a small tornado that touched down due west of me about 3 miles and about due south of Russ about 3 miles(same one). Apparently there are a lot of people still without power. If he happens to live in an area with power lines above ground then he could be sitting in the dark humming to himself for a while. There are lots of downed power lines, and not just the wooden poles but the big metal tower ones as well. I didn't get to see a whole lot because I left really early this morning in case traffic was bad. I am going to try and get some pictures this afternoon of some of the damage. What is really odd is that some people didn't even realize we had storms last night and we thought the roof was going to be ripped off the house. I just have a few sections of fence to fix and I will be done making the repairs that I will need to do.

I don't know if this will mean anything to anyone on hear but to get an idea of the force of the winds, but I have a 2'x4' piece of sheetrock that is my access to my attic in my garage ceiling. The wind was blowing hard enough through my soffit vents it created enough negative pressure to lift and twist that piece out of place and lay it kind of sideways on top of where it is supposed to lay flat.

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    I saw Russ online in the wee hours last night. Hope everyone is ok.

That's a dedicated Polkie! As soon as the storm passes, fire up the generator and logon to Club Polk :D
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • edbert
    edited April 2008
    It depends on what time the "wee hours" were. We didn't get hit until around 4 this morning so Russ would have lost power within 5-10 minutes before then since he is a little more west than I am.

I know about where Sami and sucks2beme live and they got hit pretty hard as well. Probably about 20-30 minutes before I did. The actual storm was moving at about 50-60 mph which is dang fast for a storm of this magnitude. The good thing was it didn't just sit on you and pound you, but if you weren't ready for it then it snuck up on you and bit you in the butt. Just ask the truckers who found themselves rolled over just sitting there.

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited April 2008
    All was fine at my place. But, when you live on the first floor of a big apartment complex, not much to worry about.

Co-workers were bitching all morning about trees coming down, fences, breaking, etc. Lot of mess and debris, but everyone seems fine.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited April 2008
    The last 2 weeks have seen a lot of big storms. Quarter size hail
    nailed me last week. The truck's got some dings. and the roof is
    shot. The strom last night for me was just heavy wind/rain.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2008
    Wind was pretty strong here, I thought the cars were about to get lifted off (and they are no light weights). My wife got up and asked what we should do, I told her to get her **** back to bed...

No damage, everything is fine, it stopped pretty quickly, I guess moved up north from us.
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2008
    Glad to hear everyone is ok. The silver lining is some of you will get new roofs if you have hail damage. Contact your insurance agent
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited April 2008
    All is good here slept threw it.
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2008
    Glad to hear everyone is ok. The silver lining is some of you will get new roofs if you have hail damage. Contact your insurance agent

Deductible is about 1/2 of what a new roof costs so I am glad no damage to mine.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited April 2008
    If you were born and raised in Texas,man,you were never "ok" to begin with.:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited April 2008
    We were without power all morning, from about 2 until 8, but everyone's OK...
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited April 2008
    I live a couple miles northwest of Denton and I was close to the early storm that hit around 8:00 pm that had the tornadoes close to me. Fortunately, they went a couple miles north. Then, I woke up around 3:30am with the second batch and I stayed up watching that on the sub digital channels that show the weather maps. It was pretty hairy there for awhile but I'm still good.

I work in Carrollton and there is **** scattered around pretty good. We had power here this morning but apparently it was out for awhile overnight as our battery backups were drained on our PC's.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited April 2008
    The last time the car port ripped away but this time no problems.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2008
    I was sitting on the front porch sipping a cup of joe and watching / listening to God's big show. There isn't a system I've heard in my travels that can come even remotely close.

Only damage here was a few more shingles ripped off the roof, but we are getting a new one anyway after the late Feb hail storm. I just hope they get it done while I still have a roof left.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,448
    edited April 2008
    There isn't a system I've heard in my travels that can come even remotely close.

Isn't that the truth!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited April 2008
    Glad everyone is OK.

CRj
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited April 2008
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    There isn't a system I've heard in my travels that can come even remotely close.

Cheers,
    Russ

There is nothing more exciting than watching Mother Nature at work during her travels. Many a time I've sat outside watching and being transfixed. As long as not one gets seriously hurt then it's the greatest show on earth.

We had a storm rip through here in Feb. and about 15 miles North of me a Tornado touched down. The funnel cloud actually started forming right over where I live. This was at 3:30 in the afternoon and it looses it's charm unless it's dark. There was some serious damage, but no one was hurt. Imagine that, a Tornado in Illinois in Feb. :eek:

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2008
    That storm had lost a lot of its punch by the time it got here so that all we got was some wind and small hail and lots of rain. One of the most intense lightning displays I've ever seen, though. There were plenty of cloud-to-ground strikes for sure, but the most amazing part was the way that it would streak across the sky. Talk about some high voltage...