I'm supposed to fly on AA on Saturday. How screwed am I???

nspindel
nspindel Posts: 5,343
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
Scheduled to fly an 8:40am flight on Saturday morning from LaGuardia to Miami so I can catch a cruise that leaves at 5pm. The plane is not an MD80, but with 1000 flights cancelled in a day, the whole system is in chaos...
Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
Post edited by nspindel on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2008
    I hate AA, they left me stranded once. I'll never fly with them again. If you fly with them, print out a copy of their 'Conditions of Carriage' and take it with you because apparently their ticket agents aren't familiar with it.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited April 2008
    Hope you make the boat. Last minute insurance?
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • nspindel
    edited April 2008
    I actually do have travel insurance on the trip, so I shouldn't really be out any cash. But I might be out a vacation...
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited April 2008
    PolkThug wrote: »
    I hate AA, they left me stranded once. I'll never fly with them again. If you fly with them, print out a copy of their 'Conditions of Carriage' and take it with you because apparently their ticket agents aren't familiar with it.

Running out of choices though. At least American hasn't gone belly up. Yet....
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited April 2008
    If you go out of DFW you have little choice since they own all the gates. I am platinum and just thankful I have a week without travel.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2008
    Get in the car dude, I did that run a few times and you can be here in 18 hours. I would not rely on flying anytime soon with this mess.
    Venom
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,845
    edited April 2008
    I think you will tanning in no time at all...its vacation time mon no worries ;)
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited April 2008
    My grandma just passed and my dad had to spend the entire day trying to figure out how to use their saved AA miles to get 6 people (from three different spots). Big pain in the ****. . .
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2008
    call AA right now and see what they can do for you.. maybe book you on another airline or something like that.

good luck and have a cool cruise
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2008
    Well, considering how the airlines have been scrimping on maintenance, maybe the best thing for you would be a cancelled flight.

Go get yourself a chili dog in Chicago, and call it even.
    Sal Palooza
  • nspindel
    edited April 2008
    Just spoke to the travel agent. She's saying that the Miami flights shouldn't be impacted much because they're not MD-80's. According to the agent, if I do the online check-in and print out my boarding passes, then do curbside baggage check-in, that I shouldn't have any problems. Famous last words.

I hope she's right - she also told me that travel insurance doesn't cover equipment problems with the airlines. Only medical issues or weather.

Saturday ought to be interesting....
  • Imperitor
    Imperitor Posts: 235
    edited April 2008
    Probably happening because most major airlines are outsourcing all there maintenance these days. I used to do engineering work on Jetblue's fleet of A320's. Now they do it in El Salvador. I don't know where AA does there maintanence but its probably the cheapest place they could find.
    7.1 HOME THEATER:
    Center: CSi3
    Front: RTi10
    Surround: RTi A3
    Rear Surround: RTi4
    Subwoofer: Mirage Omni S10
    TV: Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p LCD
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805
    Blu-Ray Player / CD Player / DVD Player / Media Server / Game Console / Best money I've ever spent: 60GB PS3
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,984
    edited April 2008
    1000 flights yesterday, over 900 today, a predicted hundreds more tomorrow with no end in sight for two months on many different type of aircraft is what I heard on the news tonight. Two of my friends who just got married and are out of the country may not make it back this Saturday. I feel bad for all those who have their vacation lined up, thousands spent on prepaid stuff and all they get out of it is an apology and the ticket fare back. Ouch.

Good luck Nspindel. From the looks of it you are gonna need it.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nspindel
    edited April 2008
    I won't even get the ticket fare back - I paid with miles. So I'll get the miles back, for the next time I want the joy of flying with American Airlines...
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2008
    they should at least give you some free drink tickets ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • nspindel
    edited April 2008
    Well through the wonders of pda's and mobile broadband I am able to happily report that I've boarded my flight and am about to leave. Sholdn't need to do any swimming today, except in the pool on the ship. See you all in a week when I get back from margharitaville!
  • nspindel
    edited April 2008
    sorry about the repeats! cell phones...
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited April 2008
    Make sure to be at the airport AT LEAST a half hour before flight.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000