need advice

jjcool141
jjcool141 Posts: 9
edited April 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys im new to the forum.

I have had a set of 6.5 sr6500s and plan on getting another set and putting them in kick panels.

I have a honda accord with the driver in the door and the tweeter up by the window. i currently run them off of a US amps AX4300. 75 rmsx4@4ohms

pic: http://www.splbassx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6398&st=80

I also have a XXX15" for a sub with 2500 watts rms. I know its a ton of power but im a bass head so i like it.

I am a bass head but i also am HUGE on SQ (why i bought the SRs to begin with) but i think im lacking a bit in the mids. since the tweeters are close and the sub is enormous i find that i need more mids. so heres what im thinkin:

would it be effective to get another set and have a 6.5 driver in the door working as a midbass driver (around 100-250hz working off a separate amp). Then i would put a coaxial set in kick panels. then i could use the spare set of tweeters for imaging.

Does this all sound like a good set up??

i don't have 2 amps yet so i would just run both 6500s off of the one AX4300 on the front channel for now (@2ohms)

I guess i want to know if the 6500 driver would be a good midbass driver compared to a "real" midbass driver and if i can use the tweeters for imaging (are they rated for 40k hz and up?)

thanx guys i appreciate your input.
Post edited by jjcool141 on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited April 2008
    Get some SR 5.25s for the mids and use the 6.5s for the mid bass.... at least thats what they are saying to do around here.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • jjcool141
    edited April 2008
    wat about both 6.5s?
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited April 2008
    if you use the kick panels in co-ax mode, be sure that they are your MAIN tweets.. so that would mean: attenuate your A-pillar tweets.

as for the low cross-over point on the SR6500 crossover, i personally have an issue with that. when it is too low your tweets affect imaging. crossed high enuff, your tweets can be used high up without pulling your image apart.
  • tk421
    edited April 2008
    Get some SR 5.25s for the mids and use the 6.5s for the mid bass.... at least thats what they are saying to do around here.

^^ as he said... and 5 1/4 is easier to fit in kick panel. a LOT easier!!!
  • jjcool141
    edited April 2008
    well here is the deal. im kind of stuck with the tweets in the door (A-pillar?). becuase i have a hole in the door i can't really take them out.

would it be recommnded to just buy a set of midbass drivers made specifically for that? put the midbass drivers in the door and put my sr 6.5s in the kicks?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2008
    40 Khz??? The tweeters wont go that high but thats ok cause you cant hear anything over 18 KHz.....or was that a type-o?

Get a set of SR5250's, put the 5.25 mids in the kick panel for your midrange and leave the 6.5 in the door for midbass. Keep the 5250 tweeters for spares and leave the ones you have now in the sail panels. Get an amp making 125 or so watts per channel and run the 6.5's off that and then bi-amp the 5250 set off your current 75x4 amp. That will be a lot of power and a lot more midbass than youre currently getting and that should blend everything in much better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • tk421
    edited April 2008
    jjcool141 wrote: »
    well here is the deal. im kind of stuck with the tweets in the door (A-pillar?). becuase i have a hole in the door i can't really take them out.

would it be recommnded to just buy a set of midbass drivers made specifically for that? put the midbass drivers in the door and put my sr 6.5s in the kicks?

well then, use the tweeter in the door as your secondary set. so if it were me, i'd do it this way:

5.25 in kicks WITH the tweeters (co-ax configuration) -- as your main mid-range and highs

6.25 in doors with the tweeters in the doors a your secondary/attenuated set.

point of interest.. those crossovers are very good and very expensive... door mounting destroys a lot of crossovers. eg- orion xtreme in my accord needed constant re-soldering. not sure if the SRs would be destroyed but i didnt want to take any chances.
  • jjcool141
    edited April 2008
    I like the plan. I dnt have anohter amp now so i will just run both pairs off of the front channel on my ax4300 @ 2ohms. then when i get another amp i can use the door woofers as the midbass drivers.

hows that?

you guys keep talking about 5.25's in the kicks. I have 2 pairs of 6.5s. is it a problem to have 6.5 in kicks besides the space?
  • jjcool141
    edited April 2008
    tk421 wrote: »
    point of interest.. those crossovers are very good and very expensive... door mounting destroys a lot of crossovers. eg- orion xtreme in my accord needed constant re-soldering. not sure if the SRs would be destroyed but i didnt want to take any chances.

by the way i have my crossovers all the way in the trunk. there is no way i could fit them in the doors and even if i could i wouldn't put them there.

just out of curiosity whats so "good" about them?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2008
    The components that are used in them is whats good.

Putting 6.5's in the kicks is perfectly fine - if theyll fit. Usually they wont without a LOT of modifications.

Also, 5.25's generally play midrange better than 6.5's while 6.5's play midbass better than 5.25's. So since your kick speakers are going to be dedicated midrange speakers, 5.25's would be a smidge better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • jjcool141
    edited April 2008
    ok cool. i went to the shop and they told me that they will fit.

I'm going to get a multi channel analyzer to see what frequencies im missing the most and make the best decision to increase quality.