Getting wood for a planer

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
While browsing Craigslist I came upon this listing for a DeWalt planer:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/634529911.html

I've been getting more and more into woodworking and would like to use some nice woods but do so inexpensively. I'm curious where one would find unplaned wood to use in a planer like this? Any tips on where to look? Is it worth it to plane your own wood?

Thanks.
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2008
    Nice planer.

If you go to a hardwoods dealer, they usually have rough cut hardwood. But, sometime's it's not as nice as the s4s lumber they sell at a premium price.

Is it worth planing you own wood? Only if you need thicknesss you can't get by resawing.

I wouldn't do without one.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    If you can find a local sawmill, then yes it's worth it to plane it yourself. You'll really need to have a jointer and a table saw to be able to take a rough cut board and straighten one edge, thickness plane it, then cut it to widths you want to use.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2008
    You are a dirty boy.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited April 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    You are a dirty boy.

Really...
    I get wood for only a few things in the world...and a planer isn't one of them :D