Leather interior

Strong Bad
Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
What kind of cleaning/conditioning products do you use for leather interior? How often?

I want to keep the interior of my new Accord looking spiffy for as long as possible.

SB
No excuses!
Post edited by Strong Bad on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,575
    edited April 2008
    Just leather conditioner at Advance --

Armor All is way to greasy to put on seats..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited April 2008
    John, I'd look for something from meguires (sp?)
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008
    pACE2-1207309reg.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited April 2008
    +1 ^^^^^^

I either use Lexol or Armor All for Leather. The Lexol is awesome.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2008
    Yep, Lexol in the brown bottle. Can't go wrong with that.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited April 2008
    My favorite stuff was from CRC but the label said The Tannery on it. I can't really find it locally anymore but that stuff worked fantastically! You can get it from the site but it only comes in cases I think. Go here: http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/ and look under "Products". When the window pops up, go under Appearance and then look under leather care. There is a ton of different products under there and if you can find the Tannery products, get them, they work great.

However, get a conditioner specifically designed for leather. The Meguiar's stuff is good and so is the Mother's stuff. I would stay away from Armor All completely. That stuff is a tool of the devil!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    If you plan on keeping anything, never use Armor-All. It dries out your leather / vinyl and causes cracks.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited April 2008
    Agreed, Armor All is liquid death in a bottle...
  • Face
    edited April 2008
    Armor All is like crack...literally.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    Lexol or Maguires!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2008
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    What kind of cleaning/conditioning products do you use for leather interior? How often?

I want to keep the interior of my new Accord looking spiffy for as long as possible.

SB

then stop leaving your organic material on the seats while looking at all the lovlies pics as you roll.

RT1
  • Strong Bad
    edited April 2008
    I agree Armour All is liquid death! I haven't used that crap in a long long time. I'll check out the Lexol. Thanks everyone!

RT1, gotta have some fun while driving. ;)
    No excuses!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,983
    edited April 2008
    I don't know where to get it, but look into "Lazy Leather". Also, try not to get body oils and salts onto the leather. Wiping with a damp cloth will keep it moisturized and as mentioned before, do not ever use Armor-All.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited April 2008
    I have no info on cleaning car leather, but speaking of cars, I just had ours detailed. Finally got rid of all the winter build up, salt sand....now it smells clean and looks even better. Now I can't wait till the end of this week when the summer tires and alloys go back on. Then it's off for a big clean on the outside. Unfortunatly I have to pay some one to do all of this due to my condition.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited April 2008
    I also use Tannery leather conditioner. Works great, but I bought my cans years ago before it was owned by CRC. Don't know if the formula is still the same.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2008
    Good question. Thanks for the answers. Just got a new car myself, so I will be checking out some Lexol.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2008
    I use Macguiars. Also check out Zaino products, some of the best leather, wax you can buy. Literally. I just started with the Zaino, and everyone swears by it on the Cadillac Forum. It literally leaves that wet look on your paint.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Face
    edited April 2008
    Zaino works great too, it's just expensive and not as easy to get your hands on.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited April 2008
    Maguiars for me
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2008
    I use Lexol, I tried others but also go back to Lexol its the best.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited April 2008
    I need to treat my seats. I get in and out of my truck @ 15 times a day at least.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2008
    Just ordered a bottle of Lexol.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2008
    Saddle soap, used for cleaning saddles.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited April 2008
    Strong Bad wrote: »

I'd suggest you stop farting in the car and you won't get that hole in the seat problem like in your Ford.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited April 2008
    It appears the Accord has be duly christened. Good thing it's not fabric, you could scratch yourself.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2008
    I like using those wipes from Meguire's. I believe it's called "Gold Class" and comes in a handi-wipe container.
  • bassaholic
    bassaholic Posts: 315
    edited April 2008
    Simply use a mild clothes detergent and H2O combo. (Woolilte) After, use Suave hand lotion as a conditioner. This method has been tried and true on SAAB net.com for years. It's also less expensive than leather specific products. Yes...I have tried this and still do.
    Pioneer SC-37
    RTiA9-fronts
    CSiA6-center
    RT55i-surrounds
    SVS PB13 Ultra & PSW650
    Monster Power 3250 amp
    Monster Power 2250 amp
    Monster Power HDP-2500 surge pro.

Denon 3805,CS400i,RT25i's & FX500i's sitting in the basement collecting dust
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited April 2008
    Lexol or Xymol. I wouldn't use Suave hand lotion as it's way too sticky and greasy.

Mink oil (wax/polish) is recommended for leather shoes. I've never tried it in the car but I have used it on a leather couch and chair. Actually I'm going to check into that and will use it this year in the GTI.

Apply about 3-4 times a month if you car is in constant use. The winter is tough as I didn't condition the leather this winter.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2008
    I always used Lexol when I detailed cars.
  • Strong Bad
    edited April 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'd suggest you stop farting in the car and you won't get that hole in the seat problem like in your Ford.

Oh I'll have a nice one cooked up for you for Polkfest! :D
    No excuses!